The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offersheet Voracek

In case you live under a rock, Philly just signed Shea Weber to a huge offersheet yesterday.

This puts them in a bit of a bind if their top RFA, Jakub Voracek, were to sign an offersheet with another team. They have to wait for word from Nashville on whether their offer sheet will be matched. Nashville has seven days to do so.

Admittedly I don't know too much about Voracek other than that he is a top six RW, and has produced 49 and 46 points with 18 and 14 goals the last couple seasons. He's also only 22. http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474161#&navid=nhl-keymatch

Right now Philly is $7.8m cap space with 22 players signed, not including Weber, plus they can exceed the cap by another 10% during the offseason. So they have the space for both players. http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

Is this possible? How much do you think it would take for Philly to pass and take the compensation?

I'd only do it if Philly does get Weber because than there is no way they can keep all of their youth. People such as Schenn, Courturier, Read, Wellwood, HARTNELL, and Voracek will all need raises. Some will be some while all of the raises will be large. An offer sheet would be a good idea, though I think it would be funny if Nashville offersheeted all of their players.

Philly will still need to construct a cap team when this is all said-and-done.

I expect them to trade Andrej Meszaros. That should free up enough to sign Voracek, even after adding Weber.

They don't need much wiggle-room, as they'll be getting cap relief for Pronger once the season starts.

I'd do it. Young top-6 forwards like him should really help the team going forward.

I would love to see Pronger not needing to go on the LTIR when the regular season goes around. Sure, they may (I hope they don't) get Weber but if there's no space left (and they've spent the 10% over the cap) after signing Shea they would be losing some serious depth.

Not only would they have to trade Meszaros but they could end up like New Jersey did several seasons ago, when their guys got injured but they had no cap space to bring in reinforcements and so they ended up playing undermanned for quite the stretch. Even with their star depth, time still has a way of wearing guys down, plus I'd think that with their rough-and-tumble style some of their guys would get suspended.

Also, like Garrison said below,

I'd only do it if Philly does get Weber because than there is no way they can keep all of their youth. People such as Schenn, Courturier, Read, Wellwood, HARTNELL, and Voracek will all need raises. Some will be some while all of the raises will be large. An offer sheet would be a good idea, though I think it would be funny if Nashville offersheeted all of their players.

• $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

• $1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick

• $1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick

• $3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

• $4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

• $6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

• $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

I'm not sure if this is for this year or last year but it should give you good idea. If Nashville doesn't match, Philly will probably be more inclined to take the picks to replace the ones they send to Nashville.

ASSETS: Is a very good passer. Has excellent offensive skills, a good shot and sound hockey sense. He is also usually defensively responsible and has a good frame. Shifty, he works hard, is creative and can also produce in the clutch

FLAWS: Tends to disappear for stretches, and generally lacks consistency in all areas of the game. Needs to become a better player along the wall, where he has the size to dominate--but rarely does.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Skilled scoring winger with good upside

I think it would be an awesome idea. He's big, younger, and is more of a passer than a shooter. This should help kesler's game

I'm not sure if this is for this year or last year but it should give you good idea. If Nashville doesn't match, Philly will probably be more inclined to take the picks to replace the ones they send to Nashville.

I think this is quite a good idea. Make it a 4 year deal, that way you can stretch the average a bit and guarantee you fit under the $5,046,585.

First Year 5.5

Second year 5.5,

Third year 4.5

Fourth year 4.25

Keeps the average cap hit under 5 mil so that Canucks only have to give up 1st and a 3rd. Could try prying a 1st away from Florida in exchange from Luo, then the Canucks wouldn't have to be so desperate to target one of Florida's top fwd prospects.

Archived