Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Whatever Goes Around Comes Around

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

With Holmgren currently offer sheeting Weber, if Nashville cannot match and walk away empty handed essentially, it would leave them with 4 1st round picks, a whole lotta cap to work with, and a Philly team with no cap flexibility.

Now the saying "whatever goes around comes around", I think with a new CBA about to be made and all the NHL teams shocked with the Weber news, chaos can break out and you may just see offer sheets left and right. I think it'd be awesome if Nashville loses Weber, and then they offer sheet Voracek and easily get him cause the Flyers will have no cap. Then next off-season, Philly has Schenn, Courturier, Hartnell, Read, and Wellwood all free agents, and with them not being able to sign all of them cause of no cap flexibility, it'd be even that much funnier, entertaining, and awesome to see Poile offer sheet 3/4 of those players cause Phily will only have enough to sign 1/4 of them as all the players will want a raise.

...Weber gets offer sheeted by Philly, Preds can't match and Philly is left with no cap room as Nashville has tons of cap. Right after, Poile offer sheets Voracek, Philly can't match and Preds land him. Fast forward a year, Poile, still pissed at Philly, offer sheets Read, Schenn, Courturier, and Wellwood but leave Hartnell as he is the only player Philly is able to retain. Philly still stuck financially can't match and Nashville steals them all.

It'd teach Holmgren a lesson to respect other teams as he doesn't believe in doing so with his dirty tactics, and after everything is all done, Philly steals Nashville's best dman and in return, Nashville steals all of Phily's forward depth. I would love for this to happen :lol:

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#2 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Bring Hartnell and Timonen back to Nashville

#3 The Läck Ness Monster

The Läck Ness Monster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

:shock:

#4 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I like your style

#5 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Philly isn't in trouble...they have lots of options...

/thetruth

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#6 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

lol

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

#7 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

:emot-parrot:
Posted Image

#8 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I love Holmgrens style. He doesn't dick around. Something I wish our GM would be willing to do a bit more.

Besides, Pronger most likely isn't playing anymore, Timmonen is UFA next year. They will be fine for cap space.

#9 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

It is as much (if not more) Snider's fault as it is Holmgren's responsibility. Don't kid yourself, Snider would have had to have a significant role in an offer sheet like this. Snider, being a long-time owner, knows full well what it means to have a player potentially poached off your roster. Once again, in a crucial time for owners across the NHL who are trying to negotiate as a single unit vs. the NHLPA, they can't help but screw each other right before the eyes of the entire NHL community to their own detriment.

#10 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Ever since the lockout ended the Flyers have had no cap space yet every year they are signing or trading for new star players. I doubt that suddenly changes.

Nor do I think Philly will be to concerned with losing Voracek if they get Weber.

As far as the offer sheet thing goes I think you are over thinking things. Nashville is not a hotspot for players. The only way they can sign Read, Schenn, Couturier, etc to offer sheets is if they actually agree to sign with Nashville. Meaning the Predators will have to likely overpay them and convince them that Nashville a better place for them. Not to mention doing this comes off as more spiteful and immature on Nashville's part. Harming the own organization just to send a message.

The only backlash Philly will face is they likely damaged the once fruitful trading relationship with Nashville for a few years.

Mako1_zpsa4tfuwwx.gif

#11 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

That would be classic.
But I'm pretty sure Nashville would lack the required draft picks for compensation.

Jagermeister.jpg

#12 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi OP, even though we do not know exactly how much PHilly has offered , dividing 100 mill by 14 comes up to 7.1 million. Let say he offered 110 million, because they said, he was offered over 100 million, if you divde 110 by 14, thats almost exactly 7.8 million. As Holmdrem will do, will exactly enough that he wont have to fork up 4 first round picks. It will just be 2 1st a 2nd and a 3rd.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#13 endtoend

endtoend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

That would be classic.
But I'm pretty sure Nashville would lack the required draft picks for compensation.

Wrong

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,809 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

What goes around comes around? Exactly. These two teams deal with each other all the time. Holmgren and Poile are long-time pals now. This hardly seems like a blindside, let lone dirty. Heck, Philly probably did Nashville a favour here.
Posted Image

#15 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I could see Philly working out a trade with Nashville (still allowed for the next week).

Voracek + Coburn + 1st rounder? Decent, and leaves the Preds still competitive.
Posted Image

#16 sandlakthehouse

sandlakthehouse

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

I understand what you're trying to say but I don't think it's going to be a satisfying consolation prize to pick up Voracek - basically a euro version of brad isbister, and lose a norris trophy finalist. OK there's bonafied talent in Philly - Read, Hartnell etc. but do you think they would like to go to Nashville? It's not like going into a brothel and getting the pick of the litter. They're free agents so you need to wine and dine these guys. We only hear about the offer sheet that was signed not about the ones that weren't

#17 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I would think Poile really doesn't mind the offer sheet. He wanted Weber long term but couldn't get it done himself. He has the right to match and I believe he will do so. He will thus get what he wanted all along. He may end up thanking Holmgren in the end. Even if Weber doesn't want to stay in Nashville, Poile will have control of the situation even with a NTC. However, I can't see Weber signing an offer sheet if this were true. Giving the Preds the opportunity to match a long term deal just wouldn't make any sense in this scenario. I think Weber signed as a ploy to get the price he wanted out of Poile.

#18 MistuhMan

MistuhMan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Am I the only person that doesn't like these massive offers? It's funny because Weber would be making 1m + 13m in a signing bonus (which in a normal person's term is a "bribe"). I am happy for Philly 'cause they're going to add a Norris-calibre defenseman in Weber, but very unhappy about the way that they're doing it.

At the same time, I agree with your theory and foresight in the future - but for the time being, if Weber signs with the Flyers, expect them to make a mad run at the cup.

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hi OP, even though we do not know exactly how much PHilly has offered , dividing 100 mill by 14 comes up to 7.1 million. Let say he offered 110 million, because they said, he was offered over 100 million, if you divde 110 by 14, thats almost exactly 7.8 million. As Holmdrem will do, will exactly enough that he wont have to fork up 4 first round picks. It will just be 2 1st a 2nd and a 3rd.

That's incorrect. Apparently an offersheet's compensation is worked out by taking the total value of the contract and then averaging by 5 years. Most offersheets aren't long term so it rarely comes up, but in this case it'd be an average of $20M, so four 1st rounders.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#20 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

That would be classic.

Unless of course Poile begins stock piling the required picks, letting Weber walk would be a good start. Use Philly's own picks against them.

#21 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

What if poile asked them ti because he knew weber wiuld sign with them and then the preds could match and get him for 14 years O.o

#22 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Or more elaborate, philly sings weber, nash takes picks, makes up mind on who they want, trade back picks for players, essentially weber for what they want

#23 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

At least Holmgren has the balls to make bold moves to try to win the cup...
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#24 canucks3322

canucks3322

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

can't wait to see what they will do next year with having a lot of young talented players, hope Nashville steals some of their players

#25 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

lol that would be funny to see it turn around and kick them where the sun dont shine

#26 Luongo1

Luongo1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Bobby Clark did the same with Kesler and it was the Flyer organization that Clark was employed with at the time. The Flyers are going to be a very hated on organization and I'm certain that many G.M's are taking notice of their underhanded tactics. Although there is no written rule that prevents their actions, there is an underlying code amongst all G.M.'s in regards to poaching another teams RFA's. Gillis tried the same with Backes and St. Louis fired back showing their displeasure with an offer to Bernier.

With the level of respect between players diminishing, it appears that the respect between G.M.'s is slowly following suit. What has become of todays society?
Special Thanks to Bertrox44 for the Sig!

#27 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

With Holmgren currently offer sheeting Weber, if Nashville cannot match and walk away empty handed essentially, it would leave them with 4 1st round picks, a whole lotta cap to work with, and a Philly team with no cap flexibility.

Now the saying "whatever goes around comes around", I think with a new CBA about to be made and all the NHL teams shocked with the Weber news, chaos can break out and you may just see offer sheets left and right. I think it'd be awesome if Nashville loses Weber, and then they offer sheet Voracek and easily get him cause the Flyers will have no cap. Then next off-season, Philly has Schenn, Courturier, Hartnell, Read, and Wellwood all free agents, and with them not being able to sign all of them cause of no cap flexibility, it'd be even that much funnier, entertaining, and awesome to see Poile offer sheet 3/4 of those players cause Phily will only have enough to sign 1/4 of them as all the players will want a raise.

...Weber gets offer sheeted by Philly, Preds can't match and Philly is left with no cap room as Nashville has tons of cap. Right after, Poile offer sheets Voracek, Philly can't match and Preds land him. Fast forward a year, Poile, still pissed at Philly, offer sheets Read, Schenn, Courturier, and Wellwood but leave Hartnell as he is the only player Philly is able to retain. Philly still stuck financially can't match and Nashville steals them all.

It'd teach Holmgren a lesson to respect other teams as he doesn't believe in doing so with his dirty tactics, and after everything is all done, Philly steals Nashville's best dman and in return, Nashville steals all of Phily's forward depth. I would love for this to happen :lol:

guess what??I can totally see MG 'll sign offer sheets for Voracek or Courturier. So Holmgren could't keep his pants up & tried to screw holes in the old CBA& Mike Gillis will make him pay the price & likely some other GMs will do the same thing. I want to know what Gary Bettman has to say about this...and other nhl owners...

MONEY BALL.. MONEY BALL... Believe in MG!
Posted Image

Edited by HiFiclub, 19 July 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#28 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Philly isn't in trouble...they have lots of options...

/thetruth

No they don't and what if Pronger comes back?

sScxLxA.jpg

#29 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Bobby Clark did the same with Kesler and it was the Flyer organization that Clark was employed with at the time. The Flyers are going to be a very hated on organization and I'm certain that many G.M's are taking notice of their underhanded tactics. Although there is no written rule that prevents their actions, there is an underlying code amongst all G.M.'s in regards to poaching another teams RFA's. Gillis tried the same with Backes and St. Louis fired back showing their displeasure with an offer to Bernier.

With the level of respect between players diminishing, it appears that the respect between G.M.'s is slowly following suit. What has become of todays society?

They fired back again by making a bigger offer for Ballard at the 2010 draft too didn't they? Offered Berglund + and we had to up the ante from either Grabner + Bernier or 1st + Bernier to Grabner, 1st and Bernier...

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#30 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

No they don't and what if Pronger comes back?

I didn't mention Pronger...and yes they do. Holmgren is quick to pull te trigger, he moves one (or two) big contract(s) (Timonen/Coburn) and bam, he has enough money to resign players who deserve raises...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.