34 replies to this topic

#1 Uller34

Uller34

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Well after Webers offer sheet I think the Canucks should stay away from big names(unless we draft them) and like the A's moneyball start doing "Moneypuck" I would start figuring out how to "catagorize" players but I suck at math lol. Is the any Canuck fans with wicked math skills who could start a Moneypuck forum with a list of categories ..i.e. ppg%, +- , from a team persperctive and then we could all have fun seeing who meets our needs. Because I for one never want to see a 100 million contract here in Van unless its a the 2nd comming if ya know what I mean

#2 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 ChaosCanucks

ChaosCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

POPULAR

We're one of the biggest hockey markets with substantial and dedicated ownership, our ticket prices are one of the most ridiculous and our city is one of, if not the most "unaffordable" city in North America. Therefore, we have all the advantages of being a "New York Yankee" team... why on earth do you want to play "moneyball" when you've got the money to win?

i.e. Compare the historical and recent successes between the A's and the Yankees to find out which team you'd rather be.

This Weber reaction is borderline insane... Weber was NOT coming to Vancouver despite the fanboys clamouring. Deal with it.

EDIT:
Wanting players who play above their salaries is obviously logical and goes great lengths to help teams in the new NHL... but I'm just stating that there is no reason why we should be limiting ourselves from big market names save for bad fit or better deals.

Edited by ChaosCanucks, 19 July 2012 - 11:03 AM.

"Ruin is the destination to which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in a commons brings ruin to all."
Garrett Hardin

#4 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Gillis has a formula that he follows and there are rare instances where he will break those rules.

The terms Philly offered for Weber are too extreme for an exception to the rule for Gillis.

Gillis doesn't seem that interested in "Bold" moves anymore.

Edited by Line Juggler, 19 July 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Billy Beane implemented a "moneyball" philosophy because Oakland is a small market and they simply can not afford to keep high end players. Vancouver does not have this problem at all.
"You find that you have peace of mind when you know that it was a 100% effort you gave, win or lose." -Gordie Howe

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,109 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

There's a difference between bold and stupid, and offering a 14 year contract worth over a hundred million dollars and a salary including bonuses of $14M the first 4 years just after CBA negotiations have started and the owners/GMs/NHL have just tabled a proposal that suggests max 5 year deals and reduced shares of revenue for players is stupid.

And people freak out over Luongo getting a deal like he did making $10M the first year and then $6.7M for awhile after. What's next, Evander Kane getting a 20 year deal worth over $120M before the new CBA kicks in?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Gillis has a formula that he follows and there are rare instances where he will break those rules.

The terms Philly offered for Weber are too extreme for an exception to the rule for Gillis.

Gillis doesn't seem that interested in "Bold" moves anymore.

Which is perfectly okay.

The Canucks core is solid. They went to the Stanley Cup finals together and are a tightly intertwined group. It's more or less at this point like a jigsaw puzzle - Gillis has to find the small pieces that put it together. There's no sense breaking half of that jigsaw puzzle apart just to try and build it again.

#8 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

We're one of the biggest hockey markets with substantial and dedicated ownership, our ticket prices are one of the most ridiculous and our city is one of, if not the most "unaffordable" city in North America. Therefore, we have all the advantages of being a "New York Yankee" team... why on earth do you want to play "moneyball" when you've got the money to win?

i.e. Compare the historical and recent successes between the A's and the Yankees to find out which team you'd rather be.

This Weber reaction is borderline insane... Weber was NOT coming to Vancouver despite the fanboys clamouring. Deal with it.

EDIT:
Wanting players who play above their salaries is obviously logical and goes great lengths to help teams in the new NHL... but I'm just stating that there is no reason why we should be limiting ourselves from big market names save for bad fit or better deals.

2 words. SALARY CAP.
Posted Image

#9 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Billy Beane implemented a "moneyball" philosophy because Oakland is a small market and they simply can not afford to keep high end players. Vancouver does not have this problem at all.

exactly, a nashville, or columbus or phoenix needs moneyball, Vancouver has ownership that is willing to pay

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#10 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

There's a difference between bold and stupid, and offering a 14 year contract worth over a hundred million dollars and a salary including bonuses of $14M the first 4 years just after CBA negotiations have started and the owners/GMs/NHL have just tabled a proposal that suggests max 5 year deals and reduced shares of revenue for players is stupid.

And people freak out over Luongo getting a deal like he did making $10M the first year and then $6.7M for awhile after. What's next, Evander Kane getting a 20 year deal worth over $120M before the new CBA kicks in?

Sounds awesome. Send him that offersheet MG!

#11 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Which is perfectly okay.

The Canucks core is solid. They went to the Stanley Cup finals together and are a tightly intertwined group. It's more or less at this point like a jigsaw puzzle - Gillis has to find the small pieces that put it together. There's no sense breaking half of that jigsaw puzzle apart just to try and build it again.

Very well said. I would rather a GM who thinks ahead as opposed to a GM who reacts to the market. Sure the latter could get lucky but the odds are not on his side. GMMG is obviously mindful of the future.......................aaaaaaaand cue the Star Wars geeks. Posted Image

Edited by Kryten, 19 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image

#12 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I think people mis-understand the concept of Moneyball... because the movie really gave it a truncated view.

If it wasn't already clear from A's failure to win anything with Beane, it's really really really hard to win championships with that philosophy. It's great for a small market team to compete, but it's not a championship driven philosophy.

Beane's influence had a lot of impact around baseball, and Boston, Toronto among other teams began employing his strategies. The biggest pillar in moneyball is to look at advanced statistics that other teams did not pay enough attention to. Spending little money is almost a bonus byproduct, because stats gave these teams an advantage that other teams did not. Boston implemented this but also spent money on big names - eventually ending the curse of Bambino.

Canucks organization also uses advanced stats - clearly, trading for/signing players that have great Corsi numbers and other underlying stats. It's also clear that rather than looking at +/-s or shot on goal, the team looks at the quality of scoring chances and other metrics.

So yes, the Canucks - under MG - have been very innovative and have used advanced stats, which really makes up moneyball's essential strategy.

We are one of the biggest hockey markets and have a good owner who's willing to spend. We shouldn't just equate moneyball with "not spending" and espouse it. Whatever it takes to win should be our mantra, and I support the philosophy that MG is following.

That is all.

#13 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I think people mis-understand the concept of Moneyball... because the movie really gave it a truncated view.

If it wasn't already clear from A's failure to win anything with Beane, it's really really really hard to win championships with that philosophy. It's great for a small market team to compete, but it's not a championship driven philosophy.

Beane's influence had a lot of impact around baseball, and Boston, Toronto among other teams began employing his strategies. The biggest pillar in moneyball is to look at advanced statistics that other teams did not pay enough attention to. Spending little money is almost a bonus byproduct, because stats gave these teams an advantage that other teams did not. Boston implemented this but also spent money on big names - eventually ending the curse of Bambino.

Canucks organization also uses advanced stats - clearly, trading for/signing players that have great Corsi numbers and other underlying stats. It's also clear that rather than looking at +/-s or shot on goal, the team looks at the quality of scoring chances and other metrics.

So yes, the Canucks - under MG - have been very innovative and have used advanced stats, which really makes up moneyball's essential strategy.

We are one of the biggest hockey markets and have a good owner who's willing to spend. We shouldn't just equate moneyball with "not spending" and espouse it. Whatever it takes to win should be our mantra, and I support the philosophy that MG is following.

That is all.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

The Canucks already employ so-called "moneyball" systems when evaluating players. Gillis also has an internal team salary structure and monetary values assigned to certain statistics that players are measured for.

The honest truth that a lot of people have had a hard time understanding is that making a deal happen takes both sides. It's moronic to think that Gillis can just go out and make a deal happen. A great example of this are Suter and Weber, both of whom had never had any intention of playing here, ever. Yet, fans want MG's head for not tendering an offersheet to Weber and not throwing a deal at Suter. Problem is, they forget that both Weber and Suter had to want to be a Canuck in the first place.

We have our core in place, and what Gillis is doing is surrounding that core with the best available players he can find at reasonable salaries, or at times even players have have been undervalued on the market. You could call that "moneyball" if you like.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#14 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

EDIT:

You have to play moneypuck to a certain extent but to blow it all on 1 player who might get you a cup is bulls.it

#15 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Well after Webers offer sheet I think the Canucks should stay away from big names(unless we draft them) and like the A's moneyball start doing "Moneypuck" I would start figuring out how to "catagorize" players but I suck at math lol. Is the any Canuck fans with wicked math skills who could start a Moneypuck forum with a list of categories ..i.e. ppg%, +- , from a team persperctive and then we could all have fun seeing who meets our needs. Because I for one never want to see a 100 million contract here in Van unless its a the 2nd comming if ya know what I mean

It sounds like some people dont' understand how a salary cap works. It doesn't matter if Vancouver is a large market and can afford larger contracts, there is still a limit. Also, MG has been implementing a "moneyball/puck" strategy for awhile now. As well as advanced statistics to rate players.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#16 Uller34

Uller34

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Well I am glad people seem interested in the topic,but..... The point is to find someone good at math so WE(the fans) can have fun trying to find the gold nuggets...BECAUSE we dont want to spend all on 1 or 2 players. Cap system people....110 mil for any player is crazy....so let find 2-3 players for 110 mil...I didnt say small market dont spend money....I wanted us to have some fun doing "moneypuck" getting thos peices that work just as well(if not better) as the idiocy of 110 mill to one player. Point...does anyone believe that Minny spending 200 mill on 2 players or philly spending 110 has made them anything more than "making" the playoffs? So anyone up to try and do some math? lol

#17 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Edler and Hamhuis or Weber?

Hmmm.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#18 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

I hope you all know that ALL teams in ALL professional sports leagues use the "Moneyball" approach.. The A's were the first team to use it, but that was a long time ago... Statistical analysis is part of professional sports now... It's funny when people keep talking about Gillis using the "Moneyball" approach.... Obviously they are or they wouldn't be running our team...

Edited by HockeyHobo73, 20 July 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#19 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

TEAMS win cups.

We came within a hairs breadth of proving that............but we met an even harder TEAM who were too big and too strong (by the time the finals came) but only just.

The only problem we have is we are not addressing the factors which "did us" in the end. We don't need Weber to do that. Our salary structure it seems does not allow us to go after the finished article.

However the "bold move" is addressing the problem and going out and backing your judgement when you go for the "potential" Weber or Parise.
Our scouts, as I implied in my deleted thread have not convinced me they have that judgement yet.
Kevin.jpg

#20 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Posted Image

lol

#21 Kola Nuts

Kola Nuts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Why is it that VAN fans always feel entitled to players signing/being traded here. It's a big league.

We've been VERY lucky with guys like Garrisson, Hamhuis,Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Schneider all signing here with competitive contracts. That's MONEYBALL'n.

Can't wait to find out what the team looks like after Luongo is traded. We have a very solid team top to bottom.

Posted Image

#22 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

The philly/weber move was as most people will recognize classless. Nashville has done everything right in building up a hockey fan base and this will have an impact on that market in a rather negative manner. It is dirty move and you can bet most owners including Bettman will be unhappy with this.

Philly is a knee jerk organization - throw silly at the first free agent goalie they come across - dump Richards and Carter who turn around and win a cup, and now this.

#23 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

If you're looking more at the numbers side of the game, I suggest reading about advanced stats. Pretty interesting stuff. There are some blogs out there that talk about it, and more and more people are starting to accept it as good metrics of how good certain players are.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,109 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sounds awesome. Send him that offersheet MG!

It's not 90% #CONFIRMED until SamJam or HockeyyInsiderr tweets it. :emot-parrot:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

That approach won't work in hockey where scoring isn't as easy as getting a base hit or making a simple pass. You can't succeed by just having a high on base percentage (or high passing completion ratio) it helps but doens't translate directly into scoring goals like getting on base does in baseball.

Moneyball is a garbage idea when it comes to hockey and I hope MG isn't following that to a T.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#26 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,499 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Canucks would've offersheeted Weber themselves, but it certainly would've been matched.
Posted Image

#27 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,499 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

The problem with trying to use 'moneypuck' as an advantage is that all the contending teams are doing it. To gain any edge, you have to look at all the angles. Not just 'moneypuck', which to most has no clear definition.
Posted Image

#28 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

This

We have owners willing to spend so no need to be conservative
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#29 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

This is a very interesting topic. My view is the Canucks are a large enough market to sign players "Who want to be here" at reasonible contracts. However, this market is not big enough to compete with the larger markets under the current cap system. I was sick to my staomach when I heard about the Parise,Suter, and now Weber signing's. The Canucks simply cannot afford to compete in a market where contracts are being thrown around this way. As I said already, the team has the resources to compete in a fair market system, but not with the way things are currently.

If the new CBA cures the problems of long term contracts that are heavily front loaded and can sustain a fair market system, then the Canucks can compete with the LA's,NY's, Philly's and Pittsburgh's of the NHL.
:towel:

#30 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Exactly what I wanted to say.

The Canucks already employ so-called "moneyball" systems when evaluating players. Gillis also has an internal team salary structure and monetary values assigned to certain statistics that players are measured for.

The honest truth that a lot of people have had a hard time understanding is that making a deal happen takes both sides. It's moronic to think that Gillis can just go out and make a deal happen. A great example of this are Suter and Weber, both of whom had never had any intention of playing here, ever. Yet, fans want MG's head for not tendering an offersheet to Weber and not throwing a deal at Suter. Problem is, they forget that both Weber and Suter had to want to be a Canuck in the first place.

We have our core in place, and what Gillis is doing is surrounding that core with the best available players he can find at reasonable salaries, or at times even players have have been undervalued on the market. You could call that "moneyball" if you like.

Exactly what I wanted to say! ::D

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.