34 replies to this topic

#31 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

We already do this. There is a reason we go after a different type of player rather than big names. We have one of the best teams in the league and almost every player we have plays for below market value. We don't go after big names, we go after character players with often overlooked value.

#32 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Well after Webers offer sheet I think the Canucks should stay away from big names(unless we draft them) and like the A's moneyball start doing "Moneypuck" I would start figuring out how to "catagorize" players but I suck at math lol. Is the any Canuck fans with wicked math skills who could start a Moneypuck forum with a list of categories ..i.e. ppg%, +- , from a team persperctive and then we could all have fun seeing who meets our needs. Because I for one never want to see a 100 million contract here in Van unless its a the 2nd comming if ya know what I mean

I just looked it up on ESPN. There have been over $1 BILLION dollars in contracts handed out since June 1 of 2012. I get how in a salary cap era you need to be efficient with the money you have available, but it feels absolutely redundant. This is also why the lawyers are duking it out big time right now.
Walter... Why's it always gotta be about 'Nam.

F@$K it. Lets go bowling.

#33 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

This is a very interesting topic. My view is the Canucks are a large enough market to sign players "Who want to be here" at reasonible contracts. However, this market is not big enough to compete with the larger markets under the current cap system. I was sick to my staomach when I heard about the Parise,Suter, and now Weber signing's. The Canucks simply cannot afford to compete in a market where contracts are being thrown around this way. As I said already, the team has the resources to compete in a fair market system, but not with the way things are currently.

If the new CBA cures the problems of long term contracts that are heavily front loaded and can sustain a fair market system, then the Canucks can compete with the LA's,NY's, Philly's and Pittsburgh's of the NHL.

Nashville matched that ridiculous contract they certainly don't have as much dough as the canucks do

#34 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

I think it's great Gillis read moneyball and is trying to be innovative with stats. Baseball and hockey aren't comparable tho, Gilly even said it himself. The fact is we arent the A's. He asked the owners to triple the scouting budget. That isn't a GM who is desperate for any competitive statistical edge. Well see how many of our 4-5-6-7th rounders pan out. If our success rate is higher than most teams then great, toot his horn all you want. Teams like Detroit and Nashville find diamonds in the rough. I'd be ecstatic if all this supposed analysis MG n co look at pays off but we still don't have a cup and our window is closing. Think about competing with the oilers in 5 years. I'd rather him just use our financial advantage and make the necessary moves to win. The days of NHL dynastys are long over.

Edited by cdubuya, 27 July 2012 - 12:47 AM.

Posted Image

#35 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

^ The analysis he's done is going to take a few years to show results, if the drafting strategy he implemented works.

Statistically, there is a higher chance of getting an NHL'er if you draft older players in the later rounds, but not so much for the earlier rounds unless their growth has been phenomenal.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.