Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

18-year-old dies after playing video game for 40 hours straight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#31 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Pathetic waste of life. Same with those losers that beat up their parents/siblings and or kill them.

Glad to see those people have their priorities in check.

As you sit among us on CDC

#32 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Let's just hope he wasn't on hardcore mode... Once you die in that mode... You lose everything... That'll be such a terrible feeling :3

On a serious note. There are pro gamers who play like over 12hrs a day... But they get paid big money to do something like that... I have no social life at all, and I can't even play a game for too long, before getting sick...

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#33 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

As you sit among us on CDC

So?
Posted Image

#34 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

I can barley play a video game for two hours... How on Earth can someone do it for forty!?

Posted Image

#35 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

these people who live to play video games, what will happen to them once they turn 30 with no career or asperations?
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#36 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

I play game 15 hrs a day in the best shape of my life dat game freak.
GO Canucks GO

#37 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

these people who live to play video games, what will happen to them once they turn 30 with no career or asperations?

But if you're able to play the game professionally, not only can you make a very good living, you also get noticed by the company who devoloped the game, and you'll possibly get hired to join their live team.

Or

You become a Youtube star.

Although chances of either of them happening are pretty slim.

#38 AndyBernard

AndyBernard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

I cant play videogames without a snack or something.
Posted Image
credit - VintageCanuck

#39 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

But if you're able to play the game professionally, not only can you make a very good living, you also get noticed by the company who devoloped the game, and you'll possibly get hired to join their live team.

Or

You become a Youtube star.

Although chances of either of them happening are pretty slim.

Many Age of Empire professionals don't even play professionally last time I checked. A Korean won the first ever Microsoft AOE tournament back in 2000 for 10k. Many of these guys have dominated RTS as a whole and don't play professionally. They get paid for winning tournaments, etc, as have I, but nothing you can support yourself on. Not even close.
Posted Image

#40 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

If I had to play Diablo III for 40 hours, I'd die too.

Seriously though - the most "serious" gaming sessions should last for is like... 3 hours.

I disagree. When all my buddies are over after we all go out on weekends, we usually head back to my place crack open some brewskies and fire up the NHL12. We can play for 4-5 hours sometimes but I guess we are still taking breaks between games.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#41 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

I'd comment but I'm going to play World of Warcraft....
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#42 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Many Age of Empire professionals don't even play professionally last time I checked. A Korean won the first ever Microsoft AOE tournament back in 2000 for 10k. Many of these guys have dominated RTS as a whole and don't play professionally. They get paid for winning tournaments, etc, as have I, but nothing you can support yourself on. Not even close.

Using Age of Empire is a terrible example. Not many people play that game anymore. At least professionally.

Right now there are at least three major game titles that will rake in a s%*# ton of money.

1. League of Legends

2. Starcraft II

3. Dota 2

Many pro's and some non pro's make their money through stream revenue. They stream themselves playing the game, and thousands and thousands of people watch them play.

http://www.own3d.tv/

http://www.twitch.tv/

The best example is probably TheOddOne (http://www.twitch.tv/tsm_theoddone), who plays League of Legends. Everytime he streams, he instantly attracts over 10k viewers. Now I'm not sure how much Twitch.tv plays, but if he were to stream on Own3d; he'd get $3 for every ad he plays for every 1000 viewers.

So if we do some simple math... He runs three ads before and after a game. A game usually goes for 30-40min. So he runs at least six ads every hour (sometimes 12). So 6x10,000 = 60,000/1000 = $60.00/h. He usually streams for about 12+ hours a day, so that easily brings him to at least $720.00 a day, and that's without team sponsors, and other stuff. Plus, Twitch pays more than Own3d so he probably makes more than $720.00 a day.

Not bad for a Calgary boy :P

Team CLG owner Hotshotgg (http://www.own3d.tv/clgame/live/13574) makes over $1000.00 a day. Something that his ex-drunk teammate (Saintvicious $800.00 a day) confirmed on stream.

Ontario boy :)

Also to prove my point a little more. Riot, League of Legends devs are holding a $1,000,000 grand prize tourny in a couple of months.

I don't follow the Starcraft scene, but I'm sure they make just as much through sponsors. Specifically in Korea.

So to say that you can't make a living off of gaming is completely bogus. People are starting to take gaming incredibly serious. Time are changing :P

Edit: TheOddOne has 21k viewers at the moment.... that's $120.00/h

Edited by (>'-')>, 21 July 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#43 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

-Vintage Canuck-, I'd be worried

:lol:
Posted Image

#44 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Wow. Didn't this happen a few years ago too? And does anybody know why this happened as such? Was it just because he simply wasn't eating/drinking enough for those 40 hours? It just seems so weird how people can actually get so hooked they die from it. It's just a game and now somebodys life is taken because of it.
Posted Image

#45 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Wow. Didn't this happen a few years ago too? And does anybody know why this happened as such? Was it just because he simply wasn't eating/drinking enough for those 40 hours? It just seems so weird how people can actually get so hooked they die from it. It's just a game and now somebodys life is taken because of it.

These people don't stand much of a chance in the real world anyway.
Posted Image

#46 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

this just shows you have no idea about how much pro gamers make and are just throwing out random opinion that you deem true.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

this just shows you have no idea about how much pro gamers make and are just throwing out random opinion that you deem true.

I was talking about AOE, genius.
Posted Image

#48 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

Using Age of Empire is a terrible example. Not many people play that game anymore. At least professionally.

Right now there are at least three major game titles that will rake in a s%*# ton of money.

1. League of Legends

2. Starcraft II

3. Dota 2

Many pro's and some non pro's make their money through stream revenue. They stream themselves playing the game, and thousands and thousands of people watch them play.

http://www.own3d.tv/

http://www.twitch.tv/

The best example is probably TheOddOne (http://www.twitch.tv/tsm_theoddone), who plays League of Legends. Everytime he streams, he instantly attracts over 10k viewers. Now I'm not sure how much Twitch.tv plays, but if he were to stream on Own3d; he'd get $3 for every ad he plays for every 1000 viewers.

So if we do some simple math... He runs three ads before and after a game. A game usually goes for 30-40min. So he runs at least six ads every hour (sometimes 12). So 6x10,000 = 60,000/1000 = $60.00/h. He usually streams for about 12+ hours a day, so that easily brings him to at least $720.00 a day, and that's without team sponsors, and other stuff. Plus, Twitch pays more than Own3d so he probably makes more than $720.00 a day.

Not bad for a Calgary boy :P

Team CLG owner Hotshotgg (http://www.own3d.tv/clgame/live/13574) makes over $1000.00 a day. Something that his ex-drunk teammate (Saintvicious $800.00 a day) confirmed on stream.

Ontario boy :)

Also to prove my point a little more. Riot, League of Legends devs are holding a $1,000,000 grand prize tourny in a couple of months.

I don't follow the Starcraft scene, but I'm sure they make just as much through sponsors. Specifically in Korea.

So to say that you can't make a living off of gaming is completely bogus. People are starting to take gaming incredibly serious. Time are changing :P

Edit: TheOddOne has 21k viewers at the moment.... that's $120.00/h

Of course it's a terrible example. But it wasn't throughout most of the last decade. And none of those guys made a big enough profit to live off it.
Posted Image

#49 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well...atleast he went out doing something that he loved
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#50 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#51 Daywalker

Daywalker

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm sad to hear that a such a young man died this way.

But what I'm most surprised at in this thread is that so many people watch other people play video games?

In my day, we'd be fighting each other over who is next in super mario kart, not volunteering to sit out and watch Dean cause he was the best player in the neighbourhood.
"If I've offended anyone, tough $#&@! I'm not sorry." - Phil Esposito

#52 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm sad to hear that a such a young man died this way.

But what I'm most surprised at in this thread is that so many people watch other people play video games?

In my day, we'd be fighting each other over who is next in super mario kart, not volunteering to sit out and watch Dean cause he was the best player in the neighbourhood.

Times have definitely changed.

Video games are becoming more and more considered a pro "sport". People are quitting their day jobs, and putting their educations on hold just to become a pro gamer.

#53 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

lol

Edited by Danthecanucksfan, 27 July 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#54 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

Times have definitely changed.

Video games are becoming more and more considered a pro "sport". People are quitting their day jobs, and putting their educations on hold just to become a pro gamer.

Just a couple years ago even the best of the best guys couldnt make a living at it. It was a part time thing or they lived with their parents. Now with the rise of MLG and other pro gaming leagues, more and bigger tournament sponsorship, and with revenue sharing from Youtube, TwitchTV and others there are a decent number of full time pros making good money and many more part timers joining in. Its still very tough to make a living at it though. Not a reasonable aspiration for the average person looking at careers. More along the line of becoming a rock star. 1 in 1 million make it.

Im gonna guess our young dead man had other things wrong with him other than sitting for 40 hours straight. An undiagnosed heart condition? Drugs? theres more than enough straightforward explanations.

Posted Image

#55 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Im gonna guess our young dead man had other things wrong with him other than sitting for 40 hours straight. An undiagnosed heart condition? Drugs? theres more than enough straightforward explanations.

Yeah, that's for sure. By those standards anyone who's paralyzed would die within days.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#56 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

I'm gonna get crucified for this, but whatever.

Assuming external factors such as drugs aren't being applied to this situation.
If your a human being and you cannot obtain the fundamental ingredients to sustain your life, because your "too busy" playing a video game to do so... I'm sorry but you have no chance of making it in this dangerous world.

Edited by Neufy161, 04 August 2012 - 02:07 AM.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.