The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks impose their will on other teams?

disisdayear

Enough about the presidents trophy. I want the Stanley Cup. Sadly I don't see us winning one with A.V. as the coach and Hank as a captain. He would be a good assistant he just gets pushed around to easily. I feel like Burrows would be the perfect fit if he wasn't hated by Refs and players alike. He plays defense and offence. Blocks shots, kills penalties, and can do powerplay and oh yah he's clutch.

We need at least 4 pieces in the form of a

1- Doan/Ryan/Nash (Powerforward for Twins) Lucic would almost be perfect.

2- A 3rd line center that can fill in for Kesler on the 2nd Line. S.Weiss Florida ? Luongo Trade Center maybe

3- Big nasty 6'5 Defender , sorry Andrew Alberts but that doesnt seem to be you

4- A guy to deal with any of the leagues biggest tough guys. a monster.

these are the minimum changes this team needs to make this summer or they won't even make the playoffs next year.

The fact that the Canucks have the top record the past 2 seasons clearly shows we are a strong force to be reckoned with. Sometimes we can takeover and completely dominate games. Other times we look flat and the other team looks stronger. That's the reality of sport.

Legitimately, I believe we have been a 'contender' year after year. But chances are, out of 30 teams, only 16 make the playoffs. Out of the 16, only one comes out on top. To be successful you have to be a few things; skilled, depth, well-coached, and lucky. We've had every single one.. But the last one. Only time will tell.

(1) Are the Canucks capable of being the team the imposes their will on others? No, not in their current form. They don't have the necessary grit or scoring power to put the frighteners on the more physical teams in the NHL.

(2) If not, what are the elements of the team that has to improve/enhance so that it can impose its will on others? They need a pair of devastating scorers of the calibre of Naslund, Bure, Mogilny at their best. They also need to play with grit and determination for the full 60+ minutes of every game.

(3) Is this even possible in the modern day NHL where parity prevails? Yes. The talent pool on this steam is amazing. But, for the most part it is wholly unrealised. The individual players (outside of the Sedin's and Schneider and Lu) need to wake up and realise their potential. Equally, AV and his coaching staff need to do a much better job of developing the talent.

The game that best demonstrated our team's ability to impose their will IMO was game one versus Chicago during our recent cup run. Easily one of the best Canuck games I have ever watched. Hits, plays and saves; Chicago was out of their depth and we owned them. Unfortunately, I have yet to see that performance repeated since.

I want to see that team again, I hope this year's team can resurrect that fire, it was fantastic to watch.

We were also muscled out of the SCF, I was actually watching game 7 yesterday... depressing. the team obviously has the skill to go all the way, but like disisdayear said we may be missing some intangibles.. but what?

I think the OP has a valid point. The Canucks need some more physical players or they need the players they have to play more physically.

I know many CDC'ers are pretty young, but, IMO, the Canucks need to show the collective fight that both of their finals teams in '94 and '82 had. These teams both had some "stars", obviously, but I want to mention the tough guys who really made a difference.

In '82, the massive underdog Canucks had very little skill, but, they hit every little thing that moved and they fought like hell for one another for 4 rounds. The Canucks had some pretty tough players back at this time... Tiger Williams, Jimmy Nill, Stan Smyl, Curt Fraser, Harold Snepsts, Darcy Rota, Ronny Delorme, even little Collie Campbell would chuck the knuckles. These are the types of players that the Canucks of 2012-13 sorely lack.

In '94, once again, the Canucks had way more togetherness and fight than today's team. Gino Odjick, Dave Babych, Gerald Diduck, Robert Dirk, Tim Hunter, Shawn Antoski, Dana Murzyn, Mike Peca, Sergio Momesso and even Geoff Courtnall. Once again, these guys fought, battled and stuck together for 24 games... a post away from going to OT in game 7.

Who does the 12-13 version of the Canucks have with these intangibles? Bieksa? Weise? Ummm... Bieksa?

I love the skill game and I am not into pure "goons", but the Canucks do need to get more physical while keeping their skill the main focus of their play.

:towel::canucks:

I think the OP has a valid point. The Canucks need some more physical players or they need the players they have to play more physically.

I know many CDC'ers are pretty young, but, IMO, the Canucks need to show the collective fight that both of their finals teams in '94 and '82 had. These teams both had some "stars", obviously, but I want to mention the tough guys who really made a difference.

In '82, the massive underdog Canucks had very little skill, but, they hit every little thing that moved and they fought like hell for one another for 4 rounds. The Canucks had some pretty tough players back at this time... Tiger Williams, Jimmy Nill, Stan Smyl, Curt Fraser, Harold Snepsts, Darcy Rota, Ronny Delorme, even little Collie Campbell would chuck the knuckles. These are the types of players that the Canucks of 2012-13 sorely lack.

In '94, once again, the Canucks had way more togetherness and fight than today's team. Gino Odjick, Dave Babych, Gerald Diduck, Robert Dirk, Tim Hunter, Shawn Antoski, Dana Murzyn, Mike Peca, Sergio Momesso and even Geoff Courtnall. Once again, these guys fought, battled and stuck together for 24 games... a post away from going to OT in game 7.

Who does the 12-13 version of the Canucks have with these intangibles? Bieksa? Weise? Ummm... Bieksa?

I love the skill game and I am not into pure "goons", but the Canucks do need to get more physical while keeping their skill the main focus of their play.

:towel::canucks:

In 10/11 the team was so dominant on the pp that other teams couldn't afford to take liberties with our players....then came the scf. Once the refs put their whistles away the bruins took advantage. This year was a little of the same but it was like the cat was out of the bag and the nucks weaknesses had been exposed in the cup final, then the pp fell apart for who knows why. With out the pp working offence dried up and we had to rely on stellar goaltending. Point of the story is the only thing scaring other teams before was our scoring, without that pp working or some tougher players what's to be scared of?

MG built this team to be exciting to watch....not to play trap hockey. Basically the NHL has failed in that they said that they were going to crack down on interference/obstruction and pic plays but have now started reverting back to putting the blinders on when that happens (especially so in the playoffs).

Our 1st line has two non physical players that could really use a Bobby Ryan or a Rick Nash to clear some room for them to operate (no offense to Burrows because he has done a great job but we could use a bigger forward with the Sedins). In tight checking games this becomes apparent.

Our 2nd line really really needs a healthy Ryan Kesler. He is taking a beating out there..... I would like to see someone else screening on the PP. Kseler is the key to making the 2nd line successful so putting him in a position to pick up a collection of injuries just doesn't make sense. We do not have a surplus of centers that can just step in and fill in for Kesler so keeping him healthy is tantamount. A healthy Kesler and Daniel Sedin would have made a world of difference against LA or against Boston. I am not sure if we have anyone that would be as effective as Kesler screening on the PP but it might be time to address that shortcoming.

We can always use more grit and size but those elements are accumulated over a few seasons as the roster changes.

I do not see the 'Captain' as being the problem at all and see Henrik as a good leader who leads by example. We just need the team to back up all the yapping or respond when someone mugs one of our players....that is sadly lacking on this team. Whether the players are being held back is something that needs to change. Guys like Bieksa play their best when they play a beligerent game....turn them loose and let the rest of the team back them up. Garrison is a physical player and I sure hope that he isn't told to turn the other cheek because it will take away from what he does best.

Archived