The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks impose their will on other teams?

disisdayear

I think the OP has a valid point. The Canucks need some more physical players or they need the players they have to play more physically.

I know many CDC'ers are pretty young, but, IMO, the Canucks need to show the collective fight that both of their finals teams in '94 and '82 had. These teams both had some "stars", obviously, but I want to mention the tough guys who really made a difference.

In '82, the massive underdog Canucks had very little skill, but, they hit every little thing that moved and they fought like hell for one another for 4 rounds. The Canucks had some pretty tough players back at this time... Tiger Williams, Jimmy Nill, Stan Smyl, Curt Fraser, Harold Snepsts, Darcy Rota, Ronny Delorme, even little Collie Campbell would chuck the knuckles. These are the types of players that the Canucks of 2012-13 sorely lack.

In '94, once again, the Canucks had way more togetherness and fight than today's team. Gino Odjick, Dave Babych, Gerald Diduck, Robert Dirk, Tim Hunter, Shawn Antoski, Dana Murzyn, Mike Peca, Sergio Momesso and even Geoff Courtnall. Once again, these guys fought, battled and stuck together for 24 games... a post away from going to OT in game 7.

Who does the 12-13 version of the Canucks have with these intangibles? Bieksa? Weise? Ummm... Bieksa?

I love the skill game and I am not into pure "goons", but the Canucks do need to get more physical while keeping their skill the main focus of their play.

:towel::canucks:

I don't think that we had some of those players in '94 (eg Peca, Antoski).

I think that we do have some of those type of players on this team but they are being held back because we think that the PP is going to win the game. When the whistles are put away in the playoffs or when we play a team like Boston or Philly who the refs are used to seeing playing physical....our PP doesn't get it done. As much as the rulebook is there, some teams are given more leeway than others so we have to adapt and add some grit to compliment our skilled players on the lines.

Physically no.

Through a game of speed and puck possession. Yes.

Is this good enough to win a Stanley Cup. I hope so. The makeup of the last 2 cup winners doesn't give me hope, but the makeup of the 2 cup winners before that do. I still firmly believe that a puck possession team can win the cup even though LA and Bos won with aggressive/tough/fast teams. Chi and Pit were fairly different in style but all 4 teams had 1 thing in common...they stayed healthy.

I think we can impose our will.................in a one game takes all. We showed it against Boston, Detroit and NYR in the league.

Where it breaks down is when it is a best of 4. Let's face it when a tough team like Boston or NYR realise they are not getting it done, they "up the physicality"...........who wouldn't they? (when they have it in their locker) after all they have a "best of 7" to wear us down.

I think we need to "beef up" our lines. We don't need Perry or Weber to do that. I have posted a few times that if we can get Doan for the 1st I would like to see us get Clowe for the 2nd. If Kassian shapes up he takes care of the 3rd and Volpatti and Pinizzotto with Lapierre rounds off our forward pushback.

I would also like to see us acquire a 3rd line "comer" like Sbisa and Cameron Gaunce for Alberts.

All this conjecture seems miles away from MG's thinking though so we will have to stay patient and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. :)

I think we can impose our will.................in a one game takes all. We showed it against Boston, Detroit and NYR in the league.

Where it breaks down is when it is a best of 4. Let's face it when a tough team like Boston or NYR realise they are not getting it done, they "up the physicality"...........who wouldn't they? (when they have it in their locker) after all they have a "best of 7" to wear us down.

I think we need to "beef up" our lines. We don't need Perry or Weber to do that. I have posted a few times that if we can get Doan for the 1st I would like to see us get Clowe for the 2nd. If Kassian shapes up he takes care of the 3rd and Volpatti and Pinizzotto with Lapierre rounds off our forward pushback.

I would also like to see us acquire a 3rd line "comer" like Sbisa and Cameron Gaunce for Alberts.

All this conjecture seems miles away from MG's thinking though so we will have to stay patient and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. :)

Peca only played 4 games, Antoski 55. Neither played in the Finals.

Who are these physical players that the Canucks have? Bieksa? Weise? I just don't see the current roster as anywhere near imposing. They are a skill team and I love to watch skilled hockey, but, we need more physical play.

It's easier said that done to "add grit to compliment our skilled players". Who do you suggest we add?

:towel::canucks:

The SCF Canucks imposed their will. Their play wasn't the most physycal, but it wasn't the softest either. We consistently outhit our opponents, even if they were larger. Plus they could move the puck around REALLY well, so if you overextended yourself you'd get burned. This year's team is a little tougher on the back end, but can they move the puck as well as we did when we had Ehrhoff?

Need two top 9 forwards and a depth D to match expectations of that year.

Not too sure what you mean by this. Sure, Rypien wasn't physically a monster but he went with everyone in the league and kept other teams "goons" honest. Why MG decided to let him walk is still a mystery to me - regardless of what Burke would have you believe there's still a place in the game for guys like Rypien.

What?.You want me to tell MG how to do his job? How about Doan? If he is not available....go find someone else. I would think that it should be easier to obtain grit than a skilled forward like the Sedins. Grit is a shortcoming on the Canucks....who do you suggest?

Except that I said "in the league" just to avoid your acute observation.

"We consistently outhit our opponents, even if they were larger"

And sadly folks.........there we have it. We then took our place in the A&E to prove it.

"The players they have need to play more physically."

If only it was that easy. We tried that in 2010-11 and got severely banged up. I don't understand comments like that, it's almost as if you slept through the last 2/3 SCs.

In simple terms if you have a team of mostly average sized players, who hit and players who don't hit playing a bigger team, like Boston, the ones who do hit (and the ones who don't) are battered by game 3.

The SC is more physical.

Which is why I'm suggesting that the Canucks are not able to "impose their will" to the degree that they should. Yes, they can outhit their opponents and yes, they can play a great puck possession game but, when matched against the teams with heavy, skilled forwards they tend to come up a little short.

Beating Boston, New York and Detroit in the regular season really isn't any measure of Vancouver being able to impose their will.

Archived