The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks Stop Getting "Character" Players?

I love what MG's done with this team, I've always have and hopefully will support hom, but he has to get out of his zone and realize that we aren't gonna win with character guys only who are our top players. We need some good portion of our top players to be players that may be character ones but mainly have that attributes to stand up, get dirty, get nasty and prevent our players from taking cr@p each series cause it's why we lost the Cup.

I could care less about the season, Vancouver wants to come 1st each season with their skill but who cares really, skill doesn't win in the playoffs now, teams that have skill AND nasty edge players do and it's the reality. If we don't catch up with the others, we'll be left behind and it's going to be a rough road down the yeara cause our window is getting smaller to win each day with our top players reaching or going over their prime and MG has to realize that his plans aren't perfect and sometimes you gotta go with the flow to win. A perfect way to start would be getting an actual 2nd liner who has skill, character, and toughness, toughness, toughness - as you can see I emphasized that - and when there were rumours we were after Dubinksy, at first it seemed worthless with his cap, but I've come to realize it would be a good acquisition...need a player like him to contribute points wise and toughness wise and who can be a good 2nd liner with Kes.

I just think gillis has his ways a little too set in stone.

I mean he won't sign a player unless they're proven academically, which i suppose i understand, for the most part. I'm just a firm believer that if you don't take the occasional leap of fate, you never end up getting very far.

And gillis wouldn't take a chance if his life depended on it.

But in the end, i'm just some die hard fan sitting at home on my ass with an opinion and access to the internet. I'm sure a proven NHL hockey player/2 time presidents trophy winning GM would LOVE to hear MY ideas on what the team SHOULD do.

I have no concerns.

But yes, i do think we should consider signing different types of players then we've trended towards in the past.

I think character is defined differently by each gm, what mg likes are those players that have down to earth personalities kind of like the nice guy character. Other teams like boston, chicago and la think of character as ones that will do nasty in your face stuff just for the win...

Canucks are kind of like the prep school team with clean cut images eg. malhotra, higgins, sedins while teams like boston are those school teams from the ghetto with bad boy images eg. lucic

In the end I think none of this matters because in the end skill prevails, you can be a crosby with prep school image and be a gamebreaker and win a cup, or you can be a dustin brown type and win the cup.

I'm probably going to catch a mountain of flack for this, but from my perspective, Semin is actually a 'character'.

Characters bring different things to the game; "rumor" has it that Roenick was a prick to face off against, but the absolutely one of the best guys to have in the room. Talented as hell and outspoken, he was a character.

Tie Domi had decent hands which he used for punching a lot more often rather than scoring, but he defended his teammates against the Rob Ray's and the Probert's of the world. And fans too, because hey, screw you, I'm Tie Domi. Again, a character.

Which brings me to Semin.

His reputation is that he comes to camp prepared to play in great shape, with a strong desire to win.

His English isn't that strong, but he's a smart guy. You can tell in his few interviews that he's relatively "well spoken" despite the challenge in coming from the Russian language to the English one. He showed a willingness to stand up for his teammates; while people laugh about the 'bongo' incident, I would have much rather taken that over the response shown when Marchand decided that Daniel Sedin's face would make a good speed bag. Which was none, if you all remember that.

If he was *all* about the money, he would have already bolted to Russia for the massive money which has likely been offered to him from a KHL team... so he did show some balls to still be sticking around. Add that to the fact that he's been second fiddle to Ovi with relatively little fanfare.

Add that to his absolutely remarkable talent (and right handed shot), and I actually think he's a character. Not necessarily in the traditional "he has mediocre talent but he leaves it all on the ice like Trent Klatt" type of Character guy sense, but not all characters are built with the same formula.

I'm so going to wind up eating my hat over this if he bails to Russia...

Depends why you mean by character. If you define character as sportsmanship and class to opponents or guys who do lots of community work, then no, character shouldn't be a requirement.

But my definition of character is a bit different. When I think of a character player, I think of a player who is hard working and cares about his team, and will sacrifice to win. Guys who hustle and block shots and are respected by their teammates. These are the type of players every team needs. They may or not be respected by their opponents, but they're always respected by teammates.

A lot of times players can fit into both definitions. (Linden, Iginla etc). Sometimes a player only fits into the second group (Kesler, Brown, etc.). I think the Canucks (and all teams) should be more concerned with the second type of character. They should go after the warrior types who are loved by their teammates and avoid lazy locker room cancers like Semin. If the player happens to have the first type of character as well, it's just a bonus.

Just wondered about this and thought it'd be a good discussion to have on here so here it is:

We all know the Canucks are keen on bringing in "character" players, by drafting, trading, signings...by any means of bringing in a player, our organization wants these type of players. You'll always here "he's a character player" when someone new is brought in, and Gillis and AV say it all the time when they describe the new guys. Check out when MG talked about drafting Gaunce and signing Garrison, they're both "character" players. MG describes it as a person who is a leader on and of the ice, can help teammates and try's his hardest. Well, I think there's a synonym for that: someone who has skill but can't stand up for players.

Now don't take this is an insult, I love the character guys we have here but it seems all of them are afraid in getting in opponents faces. Brown is a leader too, but he isn't a character guy according to MG's description, but I think we need to move away from that a bit and get guys who are nasty and can take that side out when needed. Few players we have that are character players and can stand up are: Kassian, Bieksa. Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler do it at times and for depth players, we need our big players doing it.

Our team seems to get manhandled in any series we play and most the guys watch our guys get hurt. It's not how the Cup is won now and you have to adapt to the play as time goes on and structure your team around current winners otherwise you'll be left behind when tw challenge approaches. Check out the past 2-3 winners, all the teams had skilled players but also had key players that were nasty and dirty. We need that to win otherwise we won't succeed much. The refs has also adapted and give lots of lee-way after a whistle and I find it funny when our players look at refs and say, "wtf, no call!? He clearly hit me illegally". The leagues changed, the refs changed and in overal, the games changed so I was wondering if you guys agree or disagree that we should step aside from getting "character" guys, aka, players that got skill but don't stand up.

The point is we need legitimate throughout our entire lineup. Right now our top 6 seriously lacks this. If we managed to get Doan the Sedins wouldn't be bullied around and with Kassian likely to see full NHL-time our grit has improved pretty well. We need guys who hit to hurt. Volpatti and Pinizzotto/Bitz should be good 4th liners/fill-in guys.

Sedins to Boston for Lucic and Marchand.

Booth for Carcillo and a 3rd

Edler and 2nd for Brown

Line - up

Burrows Kesler Brown

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Lucic Schroeder Kassian

Marchand Malhotra Carcillo

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Ballard

Tanev Alberts

Schneider

Luongo