The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

German Shepherd found in Kitsilano dumpster dies

:D

Well, in stark contrast to the Faith in Humanity Restored thread, he's something to upset you.

I started following this story a couple days ago when I got a Facebook update from the BC SPCA saying that their officers were dispatched to an incident of a sick and injured dog being found in a garbage bin.

I found out earlier tonight that the dog has passed on from its injuries/heart attack.

Besides this, I don't know what I can say. I love dogs, and this story has really hard.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/German+Shepherd+found+Kitsilano+dumpster+dies/6960877/story.html

VANCOUVER — The two-year-old German Shepherd left for dead in a dumpster Wednesday died of a heart attack this evening around 6 p.m.

B.C. SPCA staff gave the dog CPR for more than 30 minutes, but couldn't revive the canine.

"We did everything in our power to save him, but his injuries were just too serious," said Marcie Moriarty, manager of cruelty investigations, in an SPCA media release. The dog was suffering from serious cuts and bruises and was likely quadriplegic by the time it was rescued from a dumpster in Kitsilano on the 1400 block of Maple Street Wednesday.

"The dog has been in critical condition since we rescued him but we were hoping for a miracle that just didn't come," Moriarty said.

The SPCA will now try to collect forensic evidence relating to the dog's injuries and continue investigating who did this. The organization said in the release that it does know the identity of the dog's owner.

"We can't rule out the possibility he was hit by a car, but evidence is suggesting it was caused by a person. He didn't jump into the dumpster himself," Moriarty said.

He was underweight and wrapped in a bloody blanket covering his bruises and lacerations. A vet exam showed the dog has spinal cord damage and air around his lungs and was not likely to recover.

The SPCA with Vancouver Police have identified the animal's owner but have not made contact yet, Moriarty said. He has had more than one owner, according to information stored on the dog's microchip.

The canine was once a police dog candidate but deemed too friendly, the SPCA said Thursday.

Under the Criminal Code, the maximum penalty for animal cruelty causing death is up to five years in jail and a lifetime ban on owning pets. A fine can also be imposed of up to $10,000

"We are so grateful for the outpouring of love and the offers of help we have received for this poor dog and for the support we receive for the thousands of other animals who suffer abuse and violence," says Moriarty.

Moriarty said donations to the organization's cruelty investigations department can be made through their website at spca.bc.ca or by calling 604-681-7271.

With files from Mike Hager

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/German+Shepherd+found+Kitsilano+dumpster+dies/6960877/story.html#ixzz21901GTW3

I don't know how many of you know about the Patrick the Pitbull story out of New Jersey from last year, but it is very similar but his has (is having) a much happier ending.

I hope they find out who did this and just release his name. That's all. Then we can talk about how to restore faith in humanity.

I couldn't read the article.....the loss of my own German Shepherd is still too near to me.

Beautiful dogs they are....had 3 of them in my life, at one time or another, so far......truly the best friends and protectors i've ever had.the pleasure of knowing from childhood through adulthood.

Some people really suck.

Anyone who hurts animals for fun or neglects animals in their cares are scum.

I purposely have avoided following this story. Animal cruelty strikes a nerve with me...

The sad part is the perpetrator of this will not have to face any formal repercussions of any significance.

What happened to the company or the person who murdered hundreds of sled dogs? I don't have sympathy for that freak either who claims he was merely doing what he was told. The German soldiers at the concentration camps said the same thing.

The fact is our system is overburdened as it is and tax dollars won't be spent to ever seriously enforce animal cruelty laws.

I use to volunteer for the SPCA and Vancouver Humane Society when I was younger and I really appreciate those people who still do make a positive difference.

RIP... A dog is the only thing that will love you more then him or her self. Some people unfortunately think there all big and bad and hurt animals that are defenseless. Whoever did this to to will have something coming to them, karma always comes around and I hope it pays this individual a visit soon.

Dude, that sucks. Poor defenseless animal. If, in fact, it was hit by a car, show some f*****g class and turn yourself in. (I know it will never happen). Only reason to not stop after hitting the animal was if the driver was intoxicated. F**k this pisses me off.

I apologize for my language, but this angered me.

Another innocent animal victim of a power-hungry, control-hungry, twisted human being.

Imposing one's physical superiority over animals is just plain messed up.

I hope the person responsible suffers a much worse and longer lasting fate sooner than later.

Bastard.

:sadno:

I've never liked this statement because I feel that it undermines the seriousness of abuse/cruelty to animals, as if to say try and catch someone before they might harm a human. To me, neglect or cruelty to animals is one of the few things I could never forgive, especially to domesticated animals who have been bred to depend on humans for their survival.

Archived