The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

German Shepherd found in Kitsilano dumpster dies

:D

Dog lovers at Vancouver vigil push to rename dog park after abused German shepherd

Dog lovers are now pushing to rename a Kitsilano dog park in honour of Captain, an abused German shepherd who died after being left in a Dumpster only blocks from the park. The suggestion came after news Wednesday that the dog’s owner had been arrested by Vancouver police on a matter unrelated to dog ownership.

Marcie Moriarty of the B.C. SPCA said she was notified Wednesday the owner of the dog had been detained. “Our constables will be questioning him on what involvement he had, if any, in Captain’s injuries,” Moriarty said, noting investigators are now awaiting necropsy results and forensic evidence.

“We are very pleased the Vancouver police were able to locate him. It was a piece of the investigation that was needed to move forward in this case.”

Meanwhile, hundreds of supporters, both human and canine, gathered in Kitsilano Wednesday evening before marching down to Hadden Park, one of 35 parks in the city that allow dogs to run off-leash.

Dog owner Valerie Alberts, whose suggestion to rename the park for Captain was met with loud cheers, said she was encouraged by the vigil’s turnout. “I just know that there’s going to be change,” she said, citing the need for tougher penalties for animal abuse. “We’re being heard now . . . and this will all fuel towards some positive change.”

Meanwhile, a search warrant application filed by the SPCA and obtained by The Province revealed more details of Captain’s discovery and the days following. The dog was found July 18 in a Dumpster, wrapped in a bloody sheet, and died the following day after going into cardiac arrest. The documents, which compiled sworn information to obtain a search warrant, revealed Captain’s injuries included extensive hemorrhaging, swelling, puncture wounds, multiple cuts and profuse diarrhea.

“It was later determined through a microchip and witness identification the dog was actually named ‘Captain’ and lived with the owner, Brian Whitlock,” the documents read, noting how Captain was found in the Dumpster along with a “white bag of towels ... filled with feces and diarrhea.”

According to the sworn information, investigators had attempted to contact the owner but received no response when visiting the man’s apartment. Police also contacted Whitlock’s mother in an attempt to track him down.

“She did confirm . . . that Whitlock had had [the dog] approximately two months” and “also confirmed her son was having some mental-health issues,” the warrant application read. On July 20, police gained entry to Whitlock’s apartment with assistance from his mother. There, police discovered a “Swiss Army knife was stuck in the windowsill, a large link chain and a baseball bat were on the floor, and there were also multiple piles of dog feces observed in the suite.”

The warrant application also includes a copy of an email from a shaken resident who lived in the same building.

After Captain was discovered, the man emailed SPCA to share sounds he had heard coming from Whitlock’s apartment the night before the dog was found.

“I heard a really loud fast banging. It sounded like something metal hitting wood, very fast and very hard, like someone was in a rage beating against something,” the resident said, noting the owner was often spotted walking the dog using a chain as both a collar and leash.

“The sound of that beating will never leave my head,” he wrote.

Whitlock has not been charged and the case is ongoing..

http://www.theprovince.com/life/Owner+German+shepherd+left+dumpster+been+arrested/6990059/story.html

I don't like animals or pets and don't really care about these incidents.

What I do care about is how we care more about these insignificant animals when children and people are getting killed, abused, mistreated. People would rather worry about a dog over a human being. Lets look at Africa for example. Children suffering, malnutrition, aids etc... Nobody gives a damn. But a poor old dog get more sympathy and attention.

Sometimes I think the human race is doomed.

What I do care about is how we care more about these insignificant animals when children and people are getting killed, abused, mistreated. People would rather worry about a dog over a human being. Lets look at Africa for example. Children suffering, malnutrition, aids etc... Nobody gives a damn. But a poor old dog get more sympathy and attention.

i thought the same thing after reading your post. If we as humans cant even treat animals with kindness and love how can we do the same for people. Also animals ask alot less of us than people do. It must be a very cold world you live in

It's a freaking dog. The point I'm trying to make is that we put more importance towards an animal than we do other humans.

Dogs are not humans and don't take precedence even if people have them as pets. An animal is an animal at the end of the day.

We eat animals and kill them everyday, they have no importance in life except providing us nutrition.

We need to focus on saving the children in 3rd world countries first. I could give a rats ass about a dog in what is obviously an isolated case.

Archived