48 replies to this topic

#31 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I don't like animals or pets and don't really care about these incidents.
What I do care about is how we care more about these insignificant animals when children and people are getting killed, abused, mistreated. People would rather worry about a dog over a human being. Lets look at Africa for example. Children suffering, malnutrition, aids etc... Nobody gives a damn. But a poor old dog get more sympathy and attention.

Sometimes I think the human race is doomed.

Suffering, malnutrition and aids in Africa? When did this all start?

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#32 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

http://www.news1130....nrelated-matter

http://www.vancouver...9698/story.html

Glad they found the owner. He was arrested for something else and no charges have been laid pertaining to Captain.

#33 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Mentally ill man is mentally ill, thus not responsible.
tragedy about the dog though.
He will end up with a pet ownership ban and medication.

#34 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Mentally ill man is mentally ill, thus not responsible.
tragedy about the dog though.
He will end up with a pet ownership ban and medication.

The mentally ill part is still yet to be determined i believe.

Being mentally ill doesn't always mean not being criminally responsible.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#35 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

What I do care about is how we care more about these insignificant animals when children and people are getting killed, abused, mistreated. People would rather worry about a dog over a human being. Lets look at Africa for example. Children suffering, malnutrition, aids etc... Nobody gives a damn. But a poor old dog get more sympathy and attention.

i thought the same thing after reading your post. If we as humans cant even treat animals with kindness and love how can we do the same for people. Also animals ask alot less of us than people do. It must be a very cold world you live in
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#36 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yep. Agree 100%.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#37 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

You can't have an open heart to both? Both are in a state of suffering, and in any really honesty, we can much more easily and readily help a local dog get out of suffering then we can clean up an entire continent and its civil wars and famine etc. Fixing the world starts with the small stuff.

#38 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yes... and while we're there, why do we worry about serial killers when there's genocides happening? :rolleyes:
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#39 dlvlw

dlvlw

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

i thought the same thing after reading your post. If we as humans cant even treat animals with kindness and love how can we do the same for people. Also animals ask alot less of us than people do. It must be a very cold world you live in

I agree with you, but the original poster has a bit of a point. When we start thinking about having a dog park named in the dog's name because of the unfortunate event...it boggles my mind that we care SO MUCH about this issue to go that far. And just as a disclaimer, I am compassionate, I was saddened when I heard that story about the dog being dumped in a dumpster. But that doesn't mean society has to dwell on these small issues and neglect larger ones just because they are more seemingly "out of reach".
Sometimes I think that, Its really whatever sells newspapers and makes listeners tune in that makes the top news stories, regardless if they are the truly the most significant stories today.

#40 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

It's a freaking dog. The point I'm trying to make is that we put more importance towards an animal than we do other humans.
Dogs are not humans and don't take precedence even if people have them as pets. An animal is an animal at the end of the day.
We eat animals and kill them everyday, they have no importance in life except providing us nutrition.

We need to focus on saving the children in 3rd world countries first. I could give a rats ass about a dog in what is obviously an isolated case.

#41 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

It's a freaking dog. The point I'm trying to make is that we put more importance towards an animal than we do other humans.
Dogs are not humans and don't take precedence even if people have them as pets. An animal is an animal at the end of the day.
We eat animals and kill them everyday, they have no importance in life except providing us nutrition.

We need to focus on saving the children in 3rd world countries first. I could give a rats ass about a dog in what is obviously an isolated case.

Why do you people seem to think that sympathizing with one sad story is a slight at all the other sad things in the world?? Like OMG, I feel bad for the abused dog, I must not care about human starvation. :rolleyes: Give your head a shake buddy. OK, you don't care about the dog, I get it. How about you enlighten everyone on your work as a philanthropist.

Edited by pimpcurtly, 27 July 2012 - 12:38 PM.

Posted Image

#42 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

This came up on my Facebook reel...

BC SPCA
http://www.facebook.com/bcspca

Breaking news: We have now dropped off recommendations for charges with crown counsel in the case of Captain, the dog that was left for dead in a dumpster. We are unable to name the person we are recommending be charged until charges have been accepted, however, we can say that we have recommended charges under the criminal code. Specifically: Causing unnecessary suffering

445.1 (1) Every one commits an offence who

(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;

( B) in any manner encourages, aids or assists at the fighting or baiting of animals or birds;

© wilfully, without reasonable excuse, administers a poisonous or an injurious drug or substance to a domestic animal or bird or an animal or a bird wild by nature that is kept in captivity or, being the owner of such an animal or a bird, wilfully permits a poisonous or an injurious drug or substance to be administered to it;

(d) promotes, arranges, conducts, assists in, receives money for or takes part in any meeting, competition, exhibition, pastime, practice, display or event at or in the course of which captive birds are liberated by hand, trap, contrivance or any other means for the purpose of being shot when they are liberated; or

(e) being the owner, occupier or person in charge of any premises, permits the premises or any part thereof to be used for a purpose mentioned in paragraph (d).

Punishment

(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

( B) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term of not more than eighteen months or to both.

#43 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

You think this is bad, come to Romania and see this on a daily basis. Multiple times a day, if you want to walk around enough.

#44 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Well this is the guy, Brian Whitlock.
Posted Image
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#45 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

This whole idea that the people who are disgusted with this don't value human life as much as an animal's is in your own head.

Regardless of other problems going on here or elsewhere in the world that doesn't condone abuse and would like you to make an argument that it does.

You think paying attention to a guy who fatally wounded a dog and left him to die in a dumpster is coming at the cost of saving children in the third world? You are using that weak argument to shield the real justifications in your mind for holding your beliefs.

Animal cruelty isn't an isolated case. Remember the hundreds of sled dogs in Whislter? Or the serial cat killer in Maple Ridge? The fact is people like you don't care about animals because, as you describe, they only serve to provide humans with nutrition.

A person who feels the need to abuse animals is someone who has serious issues. They are more likely to abuse fellow human beings. Some of the worst serial killers like Dahmer, Bundy, the Iceman all started off abusing animals. Magnotta tortured kittens and posted videos of it online.

At the end of the day I think you're an idiot who does not make a strong argument to support their view point. By your logic I guess dog fighting would be okay as well.

#46 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Nobody gives a damn? Maybe you don't but a lot of people here in BC are very charitable with their time and money and work to help other places as well. Fact is this happened in our own backyard. Like another poster asked, what have you done to help those suffering from malnutrition in Africa. Just come clean and say you don't give a crap about animals and you would have no problem with them being tortured to death if it was a cathartic experience for the perpetrator.

#47 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,346 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Well this is the guy, Brian Whitlock.
Posted Image

A man identified as Brian Whitlock, owner of the young German shepherd found severely abused, bolted from reporters after being released from police custody Thursday.Whitlock lit a cigarette as he left the Vancouver Provincial court jail around 5:30 p.m. after being detained Wednesday for charges of criminal harassment unrelated to the dog incident.He refused to answer questions from the media before he ran down the block.He is scheduled to reappear in court Aug. 9.“We have not yet received a report requesting charges [about Captain],” prosecutor Kathryn Ford said Thursday in B.C. Provincial Court in Vancouver.The B.C. SPCA is still investigating the dog’s death.However, Ford understands the B.C. SPCA is currently working on the case.Whitlock’s dog was found July 18 in a Kitsilano Dumpster, wrapped in a bloody sheet, and died the following day after going into cardiac arrest. A search warrant filed by the B.C. SPCA and obtained by The Province revealed Captain’s injuries, included extensive hemorrhaging, swelling, puncture wounds, multiple cuts and profuse diarrhea.Police gained entry to Whitlock’s apartment on July 20 where they found a Swiss Army knife in the windowsill, a large link chain, a baseball bat and multiple piles of dog feces.The warrant application also included a copy of an email from a shaken resident, indicating at least one other person in the building suspected something was wrong. After Captain was discovered, the man emailed SPCA to share sounds he had heard coming from Whitlock’s apartment the night before the dog was found.“I heard a really loud fast banging. It sounded like something metal hitting wood, very fast and very hard, like someone was in a rage beating against something,” the resident said, noting the owner was often spotted walking the dog using a chain as both a collar and leash.“The sound of that beating will never leave my head,” he wrote.

http://www.canada.com/news/Dead+German+shepherd+owner+facing+criminal+harassment+charges/6996717/story.html
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#48 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

:( That's horrible. Absolutely horrible. Karma. :angry:
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#49 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

Anyone that doesn't love dog's should just off themselves. Bye bye no one will miss you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.