The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

14 People Shot Dead at Dark Knight Rises Theatre in Denver

Dellins

Perhaps they couldn't get a sitter for this event?

Children that young aren't taken to a theatre to watch the movie, they sleep through it which is what they would have been doing at home with an expensive babysitter anyway It was a midnight showing, child would have slept through the whole thing. Personally, I wouldn't take a child that young to a movie theatre period but I can see how some would. And it doesn't make them bad parents, I know several very good parents who have done the exact same thing when their children were small and they couldn't get a sitter. Child in Snuggli, child sleeps through drive to theatre, all through movie, all the way home, through being placed back in crib, parents had much needed night out, no need to pay sitter.....everyone happy. Tragic things happen and sometimes in life, people are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The woman whose child (in a stroller) was run over in the crosswalk at the corner where a big truck was turning shouldn't have taken her child out with her that day either? She should have got a sitter? Because, well, it's dangerous out there, pollution, sound from traffic, airborne diseases......... and it's not like the child would have remembered that walk anyway, right?

I'm guessing neither of the two posters above have children.

---------------------

My condolences to the families and friends of those killed and wounded. A happy and exciting time attending the premiere of a long awaited movie should not have ended in such tragedy.

71 shot at Denver Batman premiere, 12 killed

Police arrest suspect at theatre, search his apartment building

A gunman opened fire early Friday at a suburban Denver movie theatre complex on the opening night of the latest Batman movie, killing 12 people and and injuring 59 others.

The gunman, who is in custody, stood at the front of the theatre and fired into the crowd around 12:30 a.m. MT at a multiplex theatre in a mall in Aurora, a community of about 327,000 people about 16 kilometres east of downtown Denver.

"Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said at a news conference. "They heard a hissing sound, and some gas emerged, and the gunman opened fire."

si-james-holmes-120721.jpg

James Holmes, 24, is the suspect in a shooting attack which killed 12 people in a suburb of Denver, according to law enforcement officials....

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...re.html?cmp=rss

I cant believe some of you are going to try to politicize this.

Narcissism rears its ugly head.

Lets stay with the actual event and leave the spin out of it . This is a terrible day for everyone and our thoughts should be with the victims

Just terrible

It's so haunting to read the final tweets from Jessica Redfield. She seemed like a really cool person and it is so sad to see how life changed for her and for so many others in a matter of minutes.

After narrowly escaping the Toronto Mall shooting she wrote this of her experience:

“I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath,” she wrote.

“I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.”

RIP

It went over your head but that's ok. Merely demonstrating the absurdness of the comments of the posters I was responding to.

And do you really think those loud noises in downtown Vancouver on a busy day are good for a 3 month old's hearing? Sirens? Big truck horns? The sound of loud music playing in their homes? The decibel level at a Canucks game when a goal is scored? Hell, how about for a 3 year old as well. A 10 year old.

Are you a parent? If so, have you always preserved the sanctity of your child's hearing in every event and facet of their life? Or have you taken precautions with earplugs or earphones? Nobody knows for sure if or if not, the parents who had their child at this movie did so or not. And as the child is now dead, it's a pretty moot point, wouldn't you agree?

Haha oh boy. You're comparing things you CAN control with things you CAN'T control. Bringing a 3 MONTH OLD CHILD, not a 3 YEAR OLD CHILD, to a place known to have extremely loud noises is absurd. Of course a Canucks game isn't going to be good for a child's hearing but at least they're aware of what's going on. It's natural instincts to cover your ears when your ears are being bombarded with loud noises. You really think a 3 month old child has developed those instincts?

@ear plug dude: As I said, I understand bringing a kid a couple/few years old as they have developed there motor instincts to be able to accommodate (to a certain extent of course) these loud noises.

Haha oh boy. You're comparing things you CAN control with things you CAN'T control. Bringing a 3 MONTH OLD CHILD, not a 3 YEAR OLD CHILD, to a place known to have extremely loud noises is absurd. Of course a Canucks game isn't going to be good for a child's hearing but at least they're aware of what's going on. It's natural instincts to cover your ears when your ears are being bombarded with loud noises. You really think a 3 month old child has developed those instincts?

@ear plug dude: As I said, I understand bringing a kid a couple/few years old as they have developed there motor instincts to be able to accommodate (to a certain extent of course) these loud noises.

100% These guys get the death penalty. The fact they were wearing gas masks, means they were trying to get away with it. The fear that they will have, having to sit on death row, knowing they will die is not justice enough, but it's a start.

Man this is horrible.

RIP to the victims, and condolences to all their loved ones.

This might be circumstantial, but I just can't help but think that this person (people?) was committing a copycat crime, imitation of a fictional character if you will.

Gas mask, guns, tear gas...

Archived