613 replies to this topic

#61 Connauton

Connauton

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Perhaps they couldn't get a sitter for this event?

Children that young aren't taken to a theatre to watch the movie, they sleep through it which is what they would have been doing at home with an expensive babysitter anyway It was a midnight showing, child would have slept through the whole thing. Personally, I wouldn't take a child that young to a movie theatre period but I can see how some would. And it doesn't make them bad parents, I know several very good parents who have done the exact same thing when their children were small and they couldn't get a sitter. Child in Snuggli, child sleeps through drive to theatre, all through movie, all the way home, through being placed back in crib, parents had much needed night out, no need to pay sitter.....everyone happy. Tragic things happen and sometimes in life, people are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The woman whose child (in a stroller) was run over in the crosswalk at the corner where a big truck was turning shouldn't have taken her child out with her that day either? She should have got a sitter? Because, well, it's dangerous out there, pollution, sound from traffic, airborne diseases......... and it's not like the child would have remembered that walk anyway, right?

I'm guessing neither of the two posters above have children.

---------------------

My condolences to the families and friends of those killed and wounded. A happy and exciting time attending the premiere of a long awaited movie should not have ended in such tragedy.

This is moronic. How can you even compare taking an infant out for a stroll to taking an infant into a theater with extremely loud noises? Do you really think those loud noises are good for a 3 month old's hearing?

#62 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

I cant believe some of you are going to try to politicize this.

Narcissism rears its ugly head.

Lets stay with the actual event and leave the spin out of it . This is a terrible day for everyone and our thoughts should be with the victims

You're right, sorry for getting off-topic.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#63 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

This is moronic. How can you even compare taking an infant out for a stroll to taking an infant into a theater with extremely loud noises? Do you really think those loud noises are good for a 3 month old's hearing?

How do you know the baby didn't have earplugs?

I've seen many babies at GM Place, Indy races airshows, or other loud venues as well, that basically sleep through the entire thing with earplugs or earmuffs on.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#64 JoGuitar

JoGuitar

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have baby IHP (Industrial hearing protection) for our daughter. We have taken her to film screenings and she has slept right through them.
Posted Image

#65 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

It went over your head but that's ok. Merely demonstrating the absurdness of the comments of the posters I was responding to.

And do you really think those loud noises in downtown Vancouver on a busy day are good for a 3 month old's hearing? Sirens? Big truck horns? The sound of loud music playing in their homes? The decibel level at a Canucks game when a goal is scored? Hell, how about for a 3 year old as well. A 10 year old.

Are you a parent? If so, have you always preserved the sanctity of your child's hearing in every event and facet of their life? Or have you taken precautions with earplugs or earphones? Nobody knows for sure if or if not, the parents who had their child at this movie did so or not. And as the child is now dead, it's a pretty moot point, wouldn't you agree?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 11:43 AM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#66 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

71 shot at Denver Batman premiere, 12 killed
Police arrest suspect at theatre, search his apartment building

A gunman opened fire early Friday at a suburban Denver movie theatre complex on the opening night of the latest Batman movie, killing 12 people and and injuring 59 others.
The gunman, who is in custody, stood at the front of the theatre and fired into the crowd around 12:30 a.m. MT at a multiplex theatre in a mall in Aurora, a community of about 327,000 people about 16 kilometres east of downtown Denver.
"Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said at a news conference. "They heard a hissing sound, and some gas emerged, and the gunman opened fire."
Posted Image
James Holmes, 24, is the suspect in a shooting attack which killed 12 people in a suburb of Denver, according to law enforcement officials....
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...re.html?cmp=rss

Edited by key2thecup, 20 July 2012 - 11:41 AM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#67 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

I heard one suspect has been identified, or at least they think it may be that person...anyone know any further details about this?

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#68 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

I cant believe some of you are going to try to politicize this.

Narcissism rears its ugly head.

Lets stay with the actual event and leave the spin out of it . This is a terrible day for everyone and our thoughts should be with the victims

The facts are the facts...why do you want to keep spinning your wheels in what's already known? Do you enjoy wallowing in the tragedy? People were shot, people died, killer was caught. What else is there to talk about other that the surrounding issues? You can be myopic and rend your own garments over the deaths if you want to, but spare the rest of us who want to discuss or mention issues related to and surrounding this event, your church-lady routine.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#69 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

I heard one suspect has been identified, or at least they think it may be that person...anyone know any further details about this?

He has been arrested. Mother confirmed identity. Suspect was doing his PhD in neuroscience. Four weapons found, including an assault rifle (suspected AK-47, two hand guns and a shotgun). Suspect had no priors. Despite an original report mentioning the suspect was 'Indian', this does not appear to be the case. Suspect claimed he had weapons and explosives in his house. Police state it could take days to search through the suspect's home.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#70 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Looks like they caught the guy, James Holmes.

Doesn't look very 'indian' to me though...I wonder where that description came from?

#71 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,472 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Just terrible

It's so haunting to read the final tweets from Jessica Redfield. She seemed like a really cool person and it is so sad to see how life changed for her and for so many others in a matter of minutes.

After narrowly escaping the Toronto Mall shooting she wrote this of her experience:

“I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath,” she wrote.

“I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...5#ixzz21C59wsRv

RIP

Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#72 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,141 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wow, huge story... I had never considered how vulnerable a place a darkened, loud movie theatre could be if the worst occurred.

#73 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,472 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

POPULAR

RIP Jessica Ghawi (Redfield)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#74 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

How do you know the baby didn't have earplugs?

I've seen many babies at GM Place, Indy races airshows, or other loud venues as well, that basically sleep through the entire thing with earplugs or earmuffs on.

I have baby IHP (Industrial hearing protection) for our daughter. We have taken her to film screenings and she has slept right through them.

Exactly.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#75 Connauton

Connauton

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

It went over your head but that's ok. Merely demonstrating the absurdness of the comments of the posters I was responding to.

And do you really think those loud noises in downtown Vancouver on a busy day are good for a 3 month old's hearing? Sirens? Big truck horns? The sound of loud music playing in their homes? The decibel level at a Canucks game when a goal is scored? Hell, how about for a 3 year old as well. A 10 year old.

Are you a parent? If so, have you always preserved the sanctity of your child's hearing in every event and facet of their life? Or have you taken precautions with earplugs or earphones? Nobody knows for sure if or if not, the parents who had their child at this movie did so or not. And as the child is now dead, it's a pretty moot point, wouldn't you agree?

Haha oh boy. You're comparing things you CAN control with things you CAN'T control. Bringing a 3 MONTH OLD CHILD, not a 3 YEAR OLD CHILD, to a place known to have extremely loud noises is absurd. Of course a Canucks game isn't going to be good for a child's hearing but at least they're aware of what's going on. It's natural instincts to cover your ears when your ears are being bombarded with loud noises. You really think a 3 month old child has developed those instincts?

@ear plug dude: As I said, I understand bringing a kid a couple/few years old as they have developed there motor instincts to be able to accommodate (to a certain extent of course) these loud noises.

#76 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Haha oh boy. You're comparing things you CAN control with things you CAN'T control. Bringing a 3 MONTH OLD CHILD, not a 3 YEAR OLD CHILD, to a place known to have extremely loud noises is absurd. Of course a Canucks game isn't going to be good for a child's hearing but at least they're aware of what's going on. It's natural instincts to cover your ears when your ears are being bombarded with loud noises. You really think a 3 month old child has developed those instincts?

@ear plug dude: As I said, I understand bringing a kid a couple/few years old as they have developed there motor instincts to be able to accommodate (to a certain extent of course) these loud noises.

Perhaps you'd best stand up next time as things continue to fly right over your head.

And you need to read a couple of the posts that follow mine.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#77 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Dude, please just drop it. People bring babies everywhere. Let's not make this any harder on the parents than it already is.
Posted Image

#78 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

100% These guys get the death penalty. The fact they were wearing gas masks, means they were trying to get away with it. The fear that they will have, having to sit on death row, knowing they will die is not justice enough, but it's a start.

#79 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Man this is horrible.

RIP to the victims, and condolences to all their loved ones.

This might be circumstantial, but I just can't help but think that this person (people?) was committing a copycat crime, imitation of a fictional character if you will.

Gas mask, guns, tear gas...
Posted Image

#80 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

You are a freaking sick person to be trolling in this thread. People bringing a baby into a theater is clearly not the issue here.

#81 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Apparently he dyed his hair like the 'Joker' , and told police after wards he was 'the Joker'.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#82 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Open carry is prohibited in Denver, if a few of those moviegoer's had been open carrying this scum bag would have taken one in the head before he went this far..

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#83 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Open carry is prohibited in Denver, if a few of those moviegoer's had been open carrying this scum bag would have taken one in the head before he went this far..

He was completey covered head-to-toe in tactical gear....combine that with a dark theatre and the gas bombs he set off...I don't believe he would have gone down.
Posted Image

#84 jannik freaking hansen

jannik freaking hansen

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

To all the people asking, the State of Colorado does have the death penalty. Hopefully this incident brings about the reform in the state's gun control policy, or rather lack of gun control policy, that Columbine should have. Reading articles on this subject you can see that this crime can very easily be perpertrated in the State of Colorado.

• Colorado allows people to “possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile.” But they cannot “carry the weapon concealed while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc.”
  • Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawfully protecting that person’s property or another person’s property.
  • Concealed weapons permits can be obtained in the county in which a person lives.
  • Colorado prohibits gun registration.

http://blogs.wsj.com...ome-into-focus/

We don’t yet know the details of when or how Holmes purchased the guns, but consider these scenarios:

• If Holmes bought the guns in Colorado, he did not have to register them. The state prohibits gun registration.

• Holmes reportedly drove up to the movie theater with his arsenal. That too was entirely legal in Colorado—as long as the guns are visible, you don’t need a permit. Permits are only required for concealed carry.

• The assault weapons ban that expired under George W. Bush allowed Holmes to purchase the high-powered weapon that he reportedly used, an AR-15. President Obama campaigned on renewing the ban, but quickly dropped it from his agenda and “won’t even talk about” renewing it.

• If Aurora had decided prior to this shooting that it wanted to enact tougher gun control laws, it wouldn’t have been allowed to. Since 2003 it has been expressly illegal for any local government or law enforcement agency in Colorado to “enact an ordinance, regulation or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase or possess under state or federal law.” (Nearby Denver has been contesting this law in court).

• Holmes was arrested with an assault rifle, a shotgun, and two pistols. But authorities could have never noticed he was stockpiling weapons during his short time in Colorado, because it is prohibitedfor any law enforcement in the state to build databases of gun buyers or gun owners.

• If Holmes bought the guns outside Colorado, there are no laws restricting bringing them into Colorado.

http://www.thenation...y-got-guns-ease

#85 JoGuitar

JoGuitar

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

I heard the baby was treated at hospital and released.
Posted Image

#86 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Not sure why any of you are bothering to argue to with one another but my thoughts and prayers are with the families affected. This is so f'd up, those guys deserve everything that's going to come to them.

#87 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

What do motor reflexes have to do with utilizing proper ear protection apparatus for either your 3 month old or equally vulnerable 3 year old?

Many parents of babies and toddlers have ear protection, as these parents may have as well. What's it to you anyways? When and if you have your own kids, you can make your own decisions.

#88 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Tough couple months for Colorado

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#89 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Sad that people will use this for a gun laws debate and speculate 'what if' all day long. Or use this to show their displeasure with the USA. In the end it doesn't matter to the victims. The best thing to do is accept what happened and move on. Maybe try understanding why the shooter did what he did. As much as I don't want to kill people, this shooter should be put to sleep like a bad dog. No rehabilitating someone who can just up and go on a murderous rampage at any moment.

Don't you think that this is the exact situation that leads to a debate about gun laws?

#90 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons (-.45), require trigger locks (-.42), and mandate safe storage requirements for guns (-.48).

Gun violence was also higher in states that tend to vote Republican.

http://www.theatlant...oCSc9gDE.mailto

Edited by Down by the River, 20 July 2012 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.