613 replies to this topic

#91 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Open carry is prohibited in Denver, if a few of those moviegoer's had been open carrying this scum bag would have taken one in the head before he went this far..

So the answer to public gun violence, is more guns in public? ;)

What if the people were 'carrying' but missed the guy and shot other innocent movie-goers thereby dramatically increasing the victims? Or what if the gunman picked up the weapons carried by the people he shot, to kill even more people?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#92 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

RIP to victims. Heart goes out to families. What a terrible terrible shame.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#93 kessywessy

kessywessy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

RIP to all the victims. They were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. :sadno:

#94 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Watch the guy plead insanity and get only 6 months or something stupid.

EDIT: Well, I'm stupid. Meant American. too early for this <_<

Edited by hyZar, 20 July 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#95 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

What if the people were 'carrying' but missed the guy and shot other innocent movie-goers thereby dramatically increasing the victims? Or what if the gunman picked up the weapons carried by the people he shot, to kill even more people?

Exactly this. I was having this conversation with Deets in the other post. More guns doesn't make people safer. In fact, let me spell out another scenario. What if there were a couple of law-abiding, responsible gun-carrying citizens in the crowd?

Once the shootings started and someone from the crowd fired back how could you possibly tell, in all the chaos, who was the "bad guy"?
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#96 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Watch the guy plead insanity and get only 6 months or something stupid. Classic Canadian law.

Denver isn't in Canada.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#97 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I heard the baby was treated at hospital and released.

My mistake. Thanks for the update. Great news to hear the baby is going to be alright if this is the case! :)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 12:52 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#98 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Shame on everyone who brought their Petty arguments into this thread.

People have been gruesomely murdered and there is still active bombs in his apartment so more might be on the way.

Show some respect. Oh wait, its CDC, it has none.

#99 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Watch the guy plead insanity and get only 6 months or something stupid. Classic Canadian law.

Posted Image

This here is America. CO stands for Colorado, which is where you can find Denver. Also,

While it is commonly assumed that mental illness or stress levels trigger gun violence, we found no association between gun violence and the proportion of neurotic personalities in any given state.

http://www.theatlant...oCSc9gDE.mailto

Moreover, your presumption that anybody can claim insanity is wildly inaccurate, even for Canada.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#100 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

:picard:

#101 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

People have been gruesomely murdered and there is still active bombs in his apartment so more might be on the way.

People are concerned, they hate what happened, feel horrible for the victims, and never want to see such a thing happen again. Discussing ways of preventing this from happening again does not mean that people are not considering the victims and the impact this has had on their friends and family.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#102 Olool

Olool

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

In this situation, I don't think carrying would of helped. I think there would be lots of crossfire if there was to be a gun fight.
Posted Image
Thanks canuckforever00 for the sig!

CEH, Network+, A+, Security+ and working on OSCP

#103 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

:blink:

When did Colorado become part of Canada??

Or worse, when did Canada become part of Colorado??

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#104 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

As a person who's a little split on the whole 'open carry' debate, your view is not logical, IMO.

That's like saying we should strip police officers of their firearms, because then they're liable to start shooting innocent bystanders or lose their guns to criminals.

An open carrier COULD have limited the loss of life at an incident like this. Since I presume there wasn't one, there was nobody to potentially thwart any attack made by the suspect(s) until LEOs arrived. Not to say I believe open carrying should be permitted everywhere... But it could potentially play a part in incidents like these.

U.S. gun laws are a little too far gone...

Edited by Denguin, 20 July 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#105 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

What does this incident have to do with Canada when the shooting is in the US? It is likely the guy will get the death penalty unless he he is found not guilty because he was insane. Which is the likely defense his lawyers will use. The media is already saying he is crazy for dressing up as a charactor from the Batman movies. Some reports say he considers himself as The Joker.

#106 Olool

Olool

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

As a person who's a little split on the whole 'open carry' debate, your view is not logical, IMO.

That's like saying we should strip police officers of their firearms, because then they're liable to start shooting innocent bystanders or lose their guns to criminals.

An open carrier COULD have limited the loss of life at an incident like this. Since I presume there wasn't one, there was nobody to potentially thwart any attack made by the suspect(s) until LEOs arrived. Not to say I believe open carrying should be permitted everywhere... But it could potentially play a part in incidents like these.

Ok, hold on here.
Dark Room
Intense changing light source
Smoke
Sound effects
200 people and only one target
I think carrying would of caused more damage than good.

Edited by Olool, 20 July 2012 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks canuckforever00 for the sig!

CEH, Network+, A+, Security+ and working on OSCP

#107 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

They moved Denver to Canada? :shock: When????? Did I have a Rip Van Winkle moment and missed it? :huh:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#108 JE14

JE14

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Apparently he dyed his hair like the 'Joker' , and told police after wards he was 'the Joker'.

Out of what he did wouldn't he be more like Scarecrow? Wearing a mask, throwing tear gas...

Edited by JE14, 20 July 2012 - 12:50 PM.

st3sHOQ.png

CDCFL Bruins |  EHL Canucks

#109 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Police officers = trained. The average bystander will have much less, if any training. Police are trained to shoot to kill, and rarely open fire otherwise. The last thing this situation needed is some lunatic bystander panicking and firing shots throughout a crowded theatre.

As the research I quoted previously mentioned, stricter gun laws correlate with fewer deaths by firearm.

#110 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

What do you want? An endless thread of "RIP's"??

If you want to mourn go ahead, no one's stopping you. Please don't tell he rest of us how to show respect to the victims. This is not a funeral or a wake thread...it's a discussion thread......that's what people are doing here....they're discussing the act itself, the victims involved and the related issues pertaining to the event and various other related issues.

And the apartment has been searched.

Law enforcement officers who searched the suspect's apartment found "items of interest," a federal law enforcement source involved in the investigation told HLN. He did not elaborate.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents were involved in the apartment search, agency spokesman Tom Mangan said.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

#111 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Police officers = trained. The average bystander will have much less, if any training. Police are trained to shoot to kill, and rarely open fire otherwise. The last thing this situation needed is some lunatic bystander panicking and firing shots throughout a crowded theatre.

As the research I quoted previously mentioned, stricter gun laws correlate with fewer deaths by firearm.

People who open carry are usually a lot more than an average bystander. While I completely get what you're saying, those guys usually are pretty well off with their firearms training. And as I mentioned, the laws in most U.S. states are too far along the road to revert back to strict gun laws.

Ok, hold on here.
Dark Room
Intense changing light source
Smoke
Sound effects
200 people and only one target
I think carrying would of caused more damage than good.

Key word: could. Obviously in the wrong hands it could do harm... just like it could in everyday life. But you cannot deny that having a person or two who could have the ability to end a massacre like this in a matter of seconds would be a powerful tool.

Edited by Denguin, 20 July 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#112 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

What do you want? An endless thread of "RIP's"??

If you want to mourn go ahead, no one's stopping you. Please don't tell he rest of us how to show respect to the victims. This is not a funeral or a wake thread...it's a discussion thread......that's what people are doing here....they're discussing the act itself, the victims involved and the related issues pertaining to the event and various other related issues.

And the apartment has been searched.

Yes, because a child wearing ear muffs would have prevented the shooting. Thats totally what this thread and world needs. Ear muff control for babies. Good job. Crisis averted.

Edited by hsedin33, 20 July 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#113 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

James Holmes, the 24 year old suspect, was a PHD candidate at the University of Colorado. To be a PHD candidate in neuroscience you need to be a pretty smart guy.

The defense is going to have a tough time proving insanity but I suppose being smart does not preclude you from being a nutcase.

Edited by DonLever, 20 July 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#114 Apples

Apples

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,905 posts

The guy was dressed up as the joker during the shooting. He also referred himself as the joker.. wow

apple_e0.gif

apple_e0.gifapple_e0.gif

apple_e0.gifapple_e0.gifapple_e0.gif

#115 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

U.S. gun laws are a little too far gone...

I think you'd agree that the training and certification of handling a firearm and being able to operate it in extreme conditions like being under fire, is quite different for a civilian and an officer, as are their respective abilities.

I don't think that point needs to be argued any further.

On your 'could' argument.....because of the body armour the attacker was wearing, the probability 'could' also have arisen that a civilian firing at him couldn't have stopped him.....but just as importantly, 'could' have just as likely missed in a low-light setting, where the target is moving among innocent by-standers.

What would have been the plan then? Shoot'em all and let 'God' sort em out??

#116 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yes, because a child wearing ear muffs would have prevented the shooting. Thats totally what this thread and world needs. Ear muff control for babies. Good job. Crisis averted.

#117 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Times 2

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#118 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

People who open carry are usually a lot more than an average bystander. While I completely get what you're saying, those guys usually are pretty well off with their firearms training. And as I mentioned, the laws in most U.S. states are too far along the road to revert back to strict gun laws.

Key word: could. Obviously in the wrong hands it could do harm... just like it could in everyday life. But you cannot deny that having a person or two who could have the ability to end a massacre like this in a matter of seconds would be a powerful tool.

"Usually" isn't good enough.

I disagree. A person or two don't know who's the bad guy and who are the good guys.
Here let's take a scenario... there's this joker guy with red hair that starts shooting at people. In your society, there are two other people in that line that can open carry. So a few minutes pass while the smoke from the smoke bomb clears........ A few minutes later, the one open carry guy brings out a gun to try to shoot at the joker but misses because of all the chaos and panic. The second open carry guy believes the first open carry guy was the Joker's accomplice or some guy that's shooting at people because he did not see who shot the initial bullets. The second open carry guy shoots the first open carry guy.

Now what?

Or.. one of the open carry guys misses and shoots one or more of the bystanders... now what?

If your so called "open carry" guys were extensively trained prior to carrying weapons in the open, they would have learned to never shoot while bystanders are running wildly around him/her.

#119 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

As well as gun control, how 'bout mental health? That last one always seem to get left behind.

And in come the hurr durr death penalty people.

#120 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

As well as gun control, how 'bout mental health? That last one always seem to get left behind.

And in come the hurr durr death penalty people.

Excellent point. It seems that gets over-looked quite a bit in these situations. With more cuts in mental health funding, I wouldn't be surprised if incidences of violence correspondingly increase leading to more tragedy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.