613 replies to this topic

#151 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

I am not a fan of the death penalty. I think he is innocent until proven guilty. But if he is found gulity, then he needs to get life in prison and work 40 hrs a week.

The proceeds go to the victims family until the guy is 65 years old.

40 hours a week? I work more than that. I say it should be 80 hours a week of hard labour, 365. Death is too good for these animals....they need to suffer for decades upon decades.

Edited by pimpcurtly, 20 July 2012 - 04:20 PM.

Posted Image

#152 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Did I say anything about deter?

I have lived in the United States for a long time and everyone I know is all for the death penalty, and could care less about people like yourself with these pleas of help for a sick individual.

Its the best solution, and yes, they will sleep better knowing that animal is gone for good.

The biggest problem with the death penalty as it currently stands is that most of these guys end up on death row for decades dragging the victims families through the appeals process with them. It is also far far more expensive in the long run.

I also believe death is the EASY way out for these people. Death is something that comes to everybody and is not something to be feared imo.. Life imprisonment is not something I would ever want to experience. The death penalty on the other hand is no penalty at all imo if the alternative is living in a dungeon. I'd be saying, bring on the needle!
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#153 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Send him off to San Quentin and tell all the inmates he is a pedophile and child murderer.

#154 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Did I say anything about deter?

I have lived in the United States for a long time and everyone I know is all for the death penalty, and could care less about people like yourself with these pleas of help for a sick individual.

Its the best solution, and yes, they will sleep better knowing that animal is gone for good.

So really, it's about pleasing some emotional need for a barbaric ideal of justice?

While we're at it, lets cut off the hands of anyone convicted of stealing.

Edited by Dellins, 20 July 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#155 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

The biggest problem with the death penalty as it currently stands is that most of these guys end up on death row for decades dragging the victims families through the appeals process with them. It is also far far more expensive in the long run.

I also believe death is the EASY way out for these people. Death is something that comes to everybody and is not something to be feared imo.. Life imprisonment is not something I would ever want to experience. The death penalty on the other hand is no penalty at all imo if the alternative is living in a dungeon. I'd be saying, bring on the needle!

I totally agree but on the other hand its a form of justice that is allowed, and my guess is some families would say they don't care how long it takes, as long as it happens, this way he will fear every day of his life knowing its coming.

I have been involved with funeral homes for a long time and have heard stories over the years that no matter how scared or not scared someone is of dying, even an atheist will say something like "God help me" when he knows he is dying shortly.

They need to stab a needle in his arm and rid society of this non human.

So really, it's about pleasing some emotional need for a barbaric ideal of justice?

If you say so, as long as he is exterminated.

Edited by vancanfan, 20 July 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#156 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

I am of the opinion the death penalty is too easy for these people. Give them life in jail working 40 hrs a week giving all the proceeds to the families of the victims

Let him beg for death .
Posted Image

#157 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

I totally agree but on the other hand its a form of justice that is allowed, and my guess is some families would say they don't care how long it takes, as long as it happens, this way he will fear every day of his life knowing its coming.

I have been involved with funeral homes for a long time and have heard stories over the years that no matter how scared or not scared someone is of dying, even an atheist will say something like "God help me" when he knows he is dying shortly.

They need to stab a needle in his arm and rid society of this non human.

If you say so, as long as he is exterminated.

Pretty much the opposite in most cases. Dragging the victim's family through the appeal process is agonizing and prolongs the pain as well as media publicity. They're pretty much re-living the experience each time and this can last for years. Life w/o parole on the other hand begins right after sentencing, and is done so with much less publicity which spares the family. I'm pretty sure some families can sleep just as easily knowing that the culprit is going to rot behind bars for the rest of their life.
Posted Image

#158 We Broke The Cup

We Broke The Cup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

When the general population was granted the right to bear arms, arms meant pistols and muskets. Not semi automatic weapons.

When the ban on assault weapons expired in 2004 I recall seeing Senator Bill Frist interviewed on tv. He reasoned that letting the ban expire was the right thing to do because it wasn't very effective in that people still got their hands on them.

What kind of bloody stupid logic is that? We have a ban against murder as well, but people still get murdered. Should we undo the laws against murder?

Got to love it when your politicians are bought and paid for.

The never was a "real" ban on assault rifles. They replaced the semi auto Ak47 with the Mak90, same gun minus the pistol grip and flash suppressor. The AR15 could still be purchased, but you could no longer get the collapsible stock, flash suppressor, and elevated rear site. All magazines for these guns were restricted to 10 rounds, but the used magazine supply (30 rounds for assault rifles), though spendy, seemed endless. Some hand gun manufacturers gave police forces around the country free 15 round mags and could turn them back in for new ones again in a year. The police "used" magazines could then be sold legally to the public. There was never any real bite to the ban at all. I think it was Chris Rock who said something about charging $100.00 per bullet, that would do it and not violate the second amendment.

Edited by We Broke The Cup, 20 July 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#159 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Pretty much the opposite in most cases. Dragging the victim's family through the appeal process is agonizing and prolongs the pain as well as media publicity. They're pretty much re-living the experience each time and this can last for years. Life w/o parole on the other hand begins right after sentencing, and is done so with much less publicity which spares the family. I'm pretty sure some families can sleep just as easily knowing that the culprit is going to rot behind bars for the rest of their life.

People is the USA KNOW it takes a long time, they are well aware of this and have seen it numerous times while watching the news of other mass murders, so you have supplied nothing new, everyone is well aware it takes a long process and it sucks.

His death will give those families more satisfaction than his life behind bars.

You can argue till the cows come home, it does not matter, Colorado is one state that ALLOWS the death penalty, and it will be served here, on a plate, in the form of a needle, in due time.

Edited by vancanfan, 20 July 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#160 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Ive yet to come across how he was exactly apprehended? Does anyone know?

Usually you see the shooter go in a shootout with police (eventually get killed) or commit suicide right after these kind of events

Surprised the police didnt shoot this armed murderer dead

Edited by key2thecup, 20 July 2012 - 05:01 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#161 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Usually you see the shooter go in a shootout with police (eventually get killed) or commit suicide right after these kind of events

Reports say just sat at the back of the theater stunned. He was apparently on Vicodin
Posted Image

#162 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

At the noon press conference, they said that police had apprehended him 1-1:30 minutes after the first 911 call. My guess is that he was fairly surprised with the quick response time. Surely he wasn't planning to get busted outside the theatre door. Really happy it didn't end in a gun fight.
Posted Image

#163 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Reports say just sat at the back of the theater stunned. He was apparently on Vicodin

At the noon press conference, they said that police had apprehended him 1-1:30 minutes after the first 911 call. My guess is that he was fairly surprised with the quick response time. Surely he wasn't planning to get busted outside the theatre door. Really happy it didn't end in a gun fight.

I see,

What I meant is (unless he dropped the guns and unarmed himself, and was visibly unarmed)

Im surprised they didnt just shoot and kill him once they entered the theatre room

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#164 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I think its still unclear how he was apprehended but I am almost certain there was no standoff. I dont know if he was in the theater or wandered outside with the rest of the folks
Posted Image

#165 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

People is the USA KNOW it takes a long time, they are well aware of this and have seen it numerous times while watching the news of other mass murders, so you have supplied nothing new, everyone is well aware it takes a long process and it sucks.

His death will give those families more satisfaction than his life behind bars.

You can argue till the cows come home, it does not matter, Colorado is one state that ALLOWS the death penalty, and it will be served here, on a plate, in the form of a needle, in due time.

First off, I'm not even arguing if he should or will get the death penalty. You are, however, unequivocally arguing that this guy will indeed get the death penalty and the families will indeed be satisfied. But how can you be so certain on the latter point?

Them knowing or expecting it doesn't make it any easier. And while they know it will take a long time, they don't know how long exactly it will take. "In due time"...that time will unfortuneatly be scheduled far too late after more damage is done.

As for them being able to sleep easier, you can't possibly know that. It's conjecture as your voice is not representative of theirs. Some people, families of premeditated murder victims even, are satisfied with long prison sentences. Even in cases where the accused gets 45-55 years (not even life). You know what helps victim's families sleep at night? Resources and services for victims, the same resources and services that are underfunded and neglected due to the high cost of capital punishment and the prolongation of the appeal process.

Edited by Gran Turismo, 20 July 2012 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image

#166 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Cops investigating sex site profile

A man claiming to be James Holmes created a profile on a popular sex website just days before "The Dark Knight Rises" massacre ... in which he described his penis as "short/average" ... and law enforcement sources tell TMZ investigators are now looking at the site to determine its authenticity.

"Holmes" created the profile on AdultFriendFinder.com July 5 -- and included a picture of himself with reddish, orange hair ... just as officials in Aurora, CO said he looked when he was apprehended Friday morning.

"Holmes" -- who used the screen name classicjimbo -- included a cryptic message on the top of the profile which reads, "Will you visit me in prison?"

In his profile, "Holmes" says he's 6'0" and single ... with an athletic body. Note -- the FBI says Holmes is 6'3".

"Holmes" describes himself as a "light/social drinker" ... but in the section where he's asked if he smokes or does drugs, he answered, "I'd prefer not to say."

Posted Image

"Holmes" also noted that he's circumcised.

"Holmes" described himself as a straight man ... and said he was seeking a sexual relationship with "Women, Couples (man and woman), Groups or Couples (2 women)."

"Holmes" also notes that he's interested in "Erotic Chat or Email, Discreet Relationship, 1-on-1 sex or Group sex (3 or more!)"

In the section marked, "Introduction" ... "Holmes" said, "Looking for a fling or casual sex gal. Am a nice guy. Well, as nice enough of a guy who does these sort of shenanigans."

According to the website, "Holmes" last logged in to the site sometime in the past 3 days.

"Holmes" posted 2 different photos of himself -- including one shot in which he is posed in front of an image of a woman while wearing headphones

Posted Image

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-sex-website-penis-cops/

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#167 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

First off, I'm not even arguing if he should or will get the death penalty. You are, however, unequivocally arguing that this guy will indeed get the death penalty and the families will indeed be satisfied. But how can you be so certain on the latter point?

Them knowing or expecting it doesn't make it any easier. And while they know it will take a long time, they don't know how long exactly it will take. "In due time"...that time will unfortuneatly be scheduled far too late after more damage is done.

As for them being able to sleep easier, you can't possibly know that. It's conjecture as your voice is not representative of theirs. Some people, families of premeditated murder victims even, are satisfied with long prison sentences. Even in cases where the accused gets 45-55 years (not even life). You know what helps victim's families sleep at night? Resources and services for victims, the same resources and services that are underfunded and neglected due to the high cost of capital punishment and the prolongation of the appeal process.

Because he will and they will be satisfied.

People like myself who are strong advocates for the death penalty really don't care about anything other than the guilty party, who clearly killed numerous people, and they are executed in a short period of time, so lunatics don't start coming out of the woodwork claiming the death penalty is wrong, we need to spare his poor soul, etc, etc.

I will go out on a limb here and say since its less than 24 hours after the shooting, EVERY single family member of every person killed last night wants this man to die, and I would not be surprised if this is the case.

I don't have a shred of sympathy for a person who kills at random.

Edited by vancanfan, 20 July 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#168 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

torture the puke. Jk. seriously though

Posted Image

#169 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

People like myself who are strong advocates for the death penalty really don't care about anything other than the guilty party, who clearly killed numerous people, and they are executed in a short period of time, so lunatics don't start coming out of the woodwork claiming the death penalty is wrong, we need to spare his poor soul, etc, etc.

I will go out on a limb here and say since its less than 24 hours after the shooting, EVERY single family member of every person killed last night wants this man to die, and I would not be surprised if this is the case.

Whats more of a punishment?

Him doing $0.10/hr labor for the rest of his life, while constantly getting beaten up (if not killed) in prison, while having to be the in-house girlfriend of some fat guy named Bubba?

Or him just getting a lethal injection?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#170 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

And that's exactly one of the downfalls of the death penalty. By solely focusing on the offender, it ignores the needs of the victims and/or their families. Knowing that the person will die or watching him or her die is not enough to acommodate for those needs. I'm not even arguing in favour of the offender at this point. Maybe in a perfect world will executions be employed in a short period of time after the crime, but unfortunately in the real world the bureaucratization of this whole system makes it impossible.
Posted Image

#171 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

actually, common sentiment is that it is a hollow experience for the families of the victims........that they did not feel any satisfaction, or closure upon the death of the perp.

#172 GuzzIer

GuzzIer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Green men knew one of the victims

Posted Image

#173 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Green men knew one of the victims

Spoiler

Been mentioned and posted a couple of times already. Certainly makes this tragedy feel a little closer to home, doesn't it? :(

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 06:14 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#174 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Whats more of a punishment?

Him doing $0.10/hr labor for the rest of his life, while constantly getting beaten up (if not killed) in prison, while having to be the in-house girlfriend of some fat guy named Bubba?

Or him just getting a lethal injection?

This is what I believe. The guy wants to make licence plates and other manual labor for the next 40 years with all of those proceeds going to the victims heirs? NO chance of parole . Nothing.

The guy will be begging for death after 3 months.
Posted Image

#175 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Man after seeing everything i possibly can about this today its depressed me, I can't even imagine what kind of messed up thoughts someone has to have to do something like this. My thoughts go out to the families of the killed and injured.

#176 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,977 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

This is what I believe. The guy wants to make licence plates and other manual labor for the next 40 years with all of those proceeds going to the victims heirs? NO chance of parole . Nothing.

The guy will be begging for death after 3 months.

Disagree. What's worse than being in a cell for 23 hours of the day and not being able to do anything.

If you give him a job, he'll be occupied. If you've seen "Lockup" on National Geo, most prisoners have stated its a lot better to have a "job" while in prison than not. Keeps you occupied. Let him rot in a cell for 23 hours of the day.

Edited by Armada, 20 July 2012 - 06:46 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#177 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

And that's exactly one of the downfalls of the death penalty. By solely focusing on the offender, it ignores the needs of the victims and/or their families. Knowing that the person will die or watching him or her die is not enough to acommodate for those needs. I'm not even arguing in favour of the offender at this point. Maybe in a perfect world will executions be employed in a short period of time after the crime, but unfortunately in the real world the bureaucratization of this whole system makes it impossible.

Good post GT, it is a rough time no doubt and common sense will prevail in due time, but what he did is deplorable and as it stands right now he deserves to die, life is a gift and he abused it in a way that is unacceptable.

Him rotting in a cell does have an appeal to it, but jails in some states have a way of putting certain groups in protective custody so the chances are slim a dude named Bubba gets a hold of him, although it has happened in the past that some did get a good a$$ kicking while imprisoned, like Jeffrey Dahmer.

#178 Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Anyone have link to CBC interviewing Sully of the green men?

Go Canucks Go

#179 Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

It's sorta annoying that so many of you are acting like Jessica Redfield's death is somehow more important than the other victims. Or should be talked about more than the others. I don't know...it's just annoying to me.

Anyway, RIP to all the victims. I pray God gives the family strength and peace during this very difficult time.

#180 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

No, said baby would have been shot by the perp. Hopefully they find these pieces of crap and make their death slow, then place their heads on pikes as a warning.

Hopefully they skin the guy alive and let him bleed to death Hostel 3 style. What is wrong with people these days?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.