613 replies to this topic

#241 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

I honestly don't know how this tragic event turned into a useless debate about gun ban.

In every way it does squeak, the media has turned it into such. As we are votes away from a UN small arms treaty enforced by USA.

Edited by key2thecup, 20 July 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#242 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Apparently Defcon1 your argument is lacking facts. Fact is AR15's are purchaseable in Canada too yet you focus on how they are for sale in the USA? In California you cannot own a removal magazine AR15, in Canada you can. Who has the stricter gun laws? If you believe the USA is so crime ridden why don't you take a look at the crime statistics in Vancouver and Toronto. Vancouver has just as many felonies as Los Angeles per capita. Granted Los Angeles may have more violent felonies. Just makes me laugh when people who have never lived in the States think its some cesspool of crime. I hear about more public/multi-victim shootings in Toronto than I ever do about Los Angeles.
Basking in the Southern California sun... and smog!

#243 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

#244 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

In every way it does squeak, the media has turned it into such. As we are votes away from a UN small arms treaty enforced by USA.

I think my thought is.

It's sad that it requires something like this (such a tragedy) for it to become the forefront again.

It is an important issue that should be covered without things like this occurring.

Edited by Squeak, 20 July 2012 - 11:22 PM.

Posted Image

#245 !

!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

If some of you are raging over people questioning why babies and toddlers were at a midnight premiere for a movie instead of saying RIP repeatedly then..

edit: google the twitter account "HollywoodTricia" if you want to see how big of a POS the bimbo is..removing link since background is sorta nsfw/has boobies

Edited by !, 20 July 2012 - 11:38 PM.

Posted Image

#246 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

If some of you are raging over people questioning why babies and toddlers were at a midnight premiere for a movie instead of saying RIP repeatedly then..
(Link removed)

Wow.

Just plain.

Wow.
Posted Image

#247 !

!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

too bad it wasn't her that was shot

Edited by hockeyville88, 20 July 2012 - 11:36 PM.

Posted Image

#248 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

Apparently Defcon1 your argument is lacking facts. Fact is AR15's are purchaseable in Canada too yet you focus on how they are for sale in the USA? In California you cannot own a removal magazine AR15, in Canada you can. Who has the stricter gun laws? If you believe the USA is so crime ridden why don't you take a look at the crime statistics in Vancouver and Toronto. Vancouver has just as many felonies as Los Angeles per capita. Granted Los Angeles may have more violent felonies. Just makes me laugh when people who have never lived in the States think its some cesspool of crime. I hear about more public/multi-victim shootings in Toronto than I ever do about Los Angeles.

Take a walk in downtown LA at 12:00 AM in the morning, then come talk to me with a straight face as to which city is safer. Next thing you might say it that Detroit is safer than Vancouver. I have never lived in US and may never will but during my visit to Vegas I witnessed a rape incident (on the strip in front of Bellagio) yet in my 16 years of living in Vancouver I have never witnessed a rape incident. During my 1 week visit in LA, I witnessed gun shots (actual shooting) and witnessed gangs beating each other up at Universal Studios (a tourist place) while I've yet to witness a shooting in Vancouver (even though it occurs) during my 16 years of living. But yeah, keep saying it and maybe it will come true. What are the so called felonies in Vancouver? Auto theft and vandalism? Are you comparing those to gang shootings, random shootings and murders? Yeah, I guess all of them are classified as felonies and I wonder why Vancouver is considered one of the safest place in North America.

Also, if you want to bring up these so called facts about guns, at least post a link as your evidence. How do I know you aren't just making up BS?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

#249 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

*inappropriate content removed*

Honestly, do you ever preview stuff before you post it? Or read the board rules? :picard:

The link was bad enough.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 July 2012 - 11:36 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#250 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,946 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Sorry, I had to remove the pic because of swearing, but that's really sad. A number of insensitive comments have been made online about the events of today and it's really quite pathetic.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#251 !

!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

Honestly, do you ever preview stuff before you post it? Or read the board rules? :picard:

The link was bad enough.

ah ya i didn't notice what her twitter background was..edited out the link when i realized it's not really appropriate for cdc

Posted Image

#252 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Oh god, on every article they had a still of this crying father who didn't know if his son was dead or alive and they are only now, almost a day later, releasing the actual names of the victims. I went to bed hoping that somehow someway that kid was in a hospital, but sure enough they just said he was dead.

I suppose "thoughts and prayers" is the common thing to say but hell, what does that even change. Totally awful. I can't even begin to imagine what that feels like :sick:

#253 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

lol @ 'I can't be fired for making a joke on Twitter'

Gilbert Gottfried was fired for making Japanese Earthquake jokes. Your job isn't safe either, princess. It shouldn't be. Show a little respect. Of course I'm pretty much talking to myself here since I don't have twitter.
Posted Image

#254 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

I think my thought is.

It's sad that it requires something like this (such a tragedy) for it to become the forefront again.

It is an important issue that should be covered without things like this occurring.

It will only be on the forefront till the Olympics start, then the media will shift their attention and the attention of their viewers over there with terrorism concerns, and other sports scandals and what not.

The U.S. doesn't seem to have the attention span of even a hummingbird. This will get a bump in the polls for gun control and then people will go back to opposing gun control for whatever hill-billy freedom loving nonsense.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#255 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

When I say ban guns, I mean country wide, North America wide. Banning a gun in a state is as useless as putting a 8 foot ladder next to mount Everest to make an easier climb. If Mexico, Canada and US banned all importation of guns, make them illegal to possess one and made it harder to acquire one, would you still think it wouldn't make a difference?

It wouldn't. Guns are still made throughout the world, still easily accessible. More pragmatically, as in, more aligned with the real world, what's the odds of getting rid of more guns in a region than the populace itself? The availability will still be there, the people who don't follow the law still won't follow the law, and people who follow the law won't be able to have guns.

There's only two real deterrents, one is the fantasy land idea of attempting to ban guns (won't go over so well given freedoms in both countries up here), the other is culture shift. Getting people out of the mindset that shooting someone else is going to accomplish something is going to do better, but overall, there's little one can do about human nature. Given the outliers of human society and human nature act like this, it makes sense that the responsible have a chance to defend themselves as close to par as they can. I couldn't care less if those outliers get blasted with a gun in return, I care about innocent people being able to survive and have a higher chance to defend their livelihood, rather than be helpless and die because some sect of populace had some imaginary utopia where gun bans prevented gun murders. It only takes living in a North American city with these bans to realize they don't work..

Edited by zaibatsu, 20 July 2012 - 11:48 PM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#256 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Like the Lord of War quote says: There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?

As much as I would like to see the right to bear arms abolished in the States, the fact of the matter is that if someone wants a gun bad enough, they're going to get one.
Posted Image

#257 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

These type of tragedies make me sick to the stomach.

How could someone do something like that. I'm a really sensitive person when it comes to these things... I didn't have good sleeps the days upon learning of the Columbine and Virginia tech massacres and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to have a good one tonight either.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims and their families.

RIP
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#258 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

It will only be on the forefront till the Olympics start, then the media will shift their attention and the attention of their viewers over there with terrorism concerns, and other sports scandals and what not.

The U.S. doesn't seem to have the attention span of even a hummingbird. This will get a bump in the polls for gun control and then people will go back to opposing gun control for whatever hill-billy freedom loving nonsense.

Yeah - that's what bothers me; The U.S. basically controls our media here, but their attention span is worse then my 7 year old nephew.
Posted Image

#259 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

Like the Lord of War quote says: There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?

As much as I would like to see the right to bear arms abolished in the States, the fact of the matter is that if someone wants a gun bad enough, they're going to get one.

875 million as of 2007. Interesting little read in the link.
http://www.reuters.c...834893820070828

2zf729h.jpg

"BiG UP"  to TS for the deadly sig !

#260 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

So we now learn more about the moronic parents. Not only do they bring their baby and 4 year old, but when it all went down, the father put the baby down alone, ran outside and DROVE away. Leaving his family behind. This is Fight or Flight 101. Real men fight, not in the literal sense for this scenario, but they PROTECT their family and loved ones and would never leave them behind. This Guy makes me sick.

Horrified father lost his BABY on the floor in panic at massacre cinema... before child was rescued by mother who had been shot in leg
  • Jamie Rohrs put four-month-old son Ethan on the floor to hide from gunfire
  • Lost the child in chaos as he leapt over balcony
  • Mother who had been shot in the leg grabbed the boy and ran from cinema

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz21EnXnFzi

A father has told how he managed to escape the Dark Knight Rises shooting - but was horrified to realise he had lost his four-month old son on the floor of the theatre in the chaos.

The infant was rescued by his mother who had a shrapnel wound to her leg but still managed to drag the child and their four-year-old daughter to safety.

Jamie Rohrs and Patricia Legarreta took their infant son Ethan and four-year-old daughter to the midnight screening in Aurora, Colorado, thinking the children would sleep through the movie as they sat on the second floor balcony.

Posted Image
Holding back tears: Patricia Legarreta, left, and Jamie Rohrs hold their infant son Ethan after recovering him from the movie theatre floor

Posted Image
Survivors: Jamie Rohrs and Patricia Legarreta with their son Ethan after they escaped the midnight screening

When gunman James Holmes burst in and began shooting Ms Legaretta heard her fiance shout at her to get down on the floor.

She was then hit in the leg and fell to the floor herself.

Rohrs jumped over the seat with their baby son and says he considered playing dead.

'I'm trying to keep him low. And he's crying,' he told ABC News. 'People are running all over. I'm tripping and falling. I don't know if I laid him down or sat him down.

'I look up to see if I can run. I'm ducking, dodging, turning left, turning right. ... Every time you hear a gun shot, it's like 'Oh, I'm dead.'

'I'm just disoriented after I put him down," Rohrs said. "I'm just waiting for me to hit the ground and fall down dead. You could see the gunfire and people are dropping."

He says he tried to retrieve his son but eventually jumped over the balcony and fled.

But Ms Legratta saw Ethan as she lay on the floor with the wound to her leg that stretched from her upper thigh to waist.

She pulled the infant to him and ran out the theatre with her daughter and baby boy - only realising she had been hit when she made it outside.

Rohrs said he was horrified to realise his fiancee, son and daughter when he made it outside.

'My son's still in there,' he told ABC News. 'My girlfriend is still in there. I'm out here. Who leaves their child there?'

The couple then reunited outside the cinema, after Ms Legratta phoned her fiance who had driven away from the scene.

They had recently moved to Aurora from New Mexico and defended their decision to tak their children to the late night screening.

Rohrs said: 'We have to go out. We have to do things. You don't think you're going to get shot. You're just living your life.'

Edited by dank., 21 July 2012 - 12:16 AM.

Posted Image

#261 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

^ World's Greatest Dad.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#262 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Who needs a Dad anyways! Lol @ women libbers! Gaurenteed dufus murderer had no dad!

#263 Likewise

Likewise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

That kid is screwed when he's older..
Posted Image

#264 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

What? So the dad dropped his son and bolted? Wow

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#265 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Quote removed for stupidity and irrelevance

The 'dufus murderer' has a dad, Robert.

Try reading some information about this incident before posting so perhaps your posts would make a modicum of sense.

http://www.chicoer.c...olmes-was-honor

Edited by debluvscanucks, 21 July 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#266 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

What? So the dad dropped his son and bolted? Wow

It's easy to judge him... until you're the one being shot at by a madman. I'm sure he's kicking himself for it now, but people do odd things when under extreme stress.
Posted Image

#267 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

Which has to do with exactly what, in this story?

Read the stats first and then reply. K?

#268 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Read the stats first and then reply. K?

Who, amongst the 'players' in this story, is fatherless to make your post even relevant?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 21 July 2012 - 01:08 AM.

#269 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

By the way, all news sources I am seeing at this point are saying 12 dead not 14. I know 12 is still 12 too many but I think OP should consider changing the title if the death toll is indeed 12.

OP may have to change it a few times before all is said and done. Hopefully not. :(

Well, the original title was "Dead Knight Shooting in Aurora, CO". Woke up this morning and a mod changed the title (to give a more accurate picture). I leave it up to them right now :P

Edited by Dellins, 21 July 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#270 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

Read the link, and you have no arguement about the supposed shooter having a dad named Rob, I never saw it. Anyways most parents are morons so if he even had a dad you cant argue with the FACT that most FUps are from single mothers. READ the FACTS!

I provided the bloody link to the article where his dad is mentioned. As is his mother. As is his sister.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 21 July 2012 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.