The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison reveals his number

Guest gumballthechewy

Not sure why people get so worked up about numbers? They're just numbers. Unless they have significant meaning to the player (Crosby's 87, Booth's 7, Edler's 23), I couldn't care less what number they wear.

Guest gumballthechewy

Here's a bit of a history lesson in hockey jersey numbers:

Numbers used to represent the position back when a team had just seven players, 1 was goalie 2 & 3 were left and right defenseman respectively and 4, 5, 6 & 7 were left wing, center, right wing and rover respectively. Eventually they ditched the rover position and expanded the roster and added back up goalies and numbers ranged up to 30, defencemen took the lower numbers and forwards took higher with the backup goalie usually taking 30, traditionally the number 9 has been associated with high scoring players (Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, Andy Bathgate, Johnny Bucyk, Lanny McDonald, Clark Gillies) Gretzky wore the number 9 during his junior career for his favorite player Gordie Howe. As the NHL continued to grow more and more numbers where starting to get used and eventually every number from 0 to 99 has been used at least once.

Here's a bit of a history lesson in hockey jersey numbers:

Numbers used to represent the position back when a team had just seven players, 1 was goalie 2 & 3 were left and right defenseman respectively and 4, 5, 6 & 7 were left wing, center, right wing and rover respectively. Eventually they ditched the rover position and expanded the roster and added back up goalies and numbers ranged up to 30, defencemen took the lower numbers and forwards took higher with the backup goalie usually taking 30, traditionally the number 9 has been associated with high scoring players (Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, Andy Bathgate, Johnny Bucyk, Lanny McDonald, Clark Gillies) Gretzky wore the number 9 during his junior career for his favorite player Gordie Howe. As the NHL continued to grow more and more numbers where starting to get used and eventually every number from 0 to 99 has been used at least once.

Guest gumballthechewy

That only became true in the 2006-07 season when Guillaume Latendresse became the first player to wear #84 (which was the only unworn, and eligible number not to be worn ever in an NHL regular season game)

Guest Dasein

And I can't believe Kassian took Pascal Dupuis' #9!!!

Also, cal clutterbuck took Daniel's 22, and Byfuglien took Henrik's 33!

And just when I thought I hated toews the most, it turns out he took Naslund's #19, who in turn took it from Stevie Y!!

geez... :picard::sadno: SMH

Out of personal interest, is there a list of at least one player who has worn jersey numbers from 41 to 99 in the NHL? Off the top of my head...

#41-Alberts/Kulemin; #42-Wellwood; #43-Patrice Brisebois; #44-Babych/Arnott; #45-Gilbert Dionne; #46-Kostisyn; #47-Stephane Lebeau; #48-Latendresse (Wild); #49-Brian Savage

#50-Crawford; #51-??; #52-Garrison/Foote/Sulzer; #53-??; #54-??; #55-Jovanovski/Blake; #56-??; #57-Geofferion; #58-??; #59-??

#60-Vermette; #61-Nash; #62-??; #63-Mike Ribeiro (Stars); #64-??; #65-Ron Hainsey; #66-Lemieux; #67-??; #68-Jagr/Palffy; #69-??

#71-Mike Ribeiro (Habs); #72-Peter Schaefer; #73-Michal Ryder; #74-Theo Fleury; #75-Hal Gill; #76-Subban; #77-Bourque/Coffey; #78-??; #79-??

#80-??; #81-Kessel; #82-??; #83-Ales Hemsky; #84-Latendresse (Habs); #85-??; #86-??; #87-??; #88-Joe Sakic (Nordiques)/Lindros; #89-Mogilny

#90-Modano; #91-Butch Goring/Brad Richards; #92-??; #93-Nedved/Gilmour; #94-??; #95-??; #96-Bure; #97-Roenick; #98-Brian Lawton; #99-Gretzky/Rick Dudley (Jets)

Can CDC members help fill in the blanks and add others to the numbers worn in the NHL?

I realize this is sort of a senseless thing, but we're in the middle of summer with a whole lot of nothing related to the Canucks seemingly going on, so sorry to those who think this is a useless divergence.

Archived