The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan has begun to visit/meet with teams for his services

Man, its been a pretty rough summer for some franchises.

NJD lost their captain after he took them to the SCF.

Nashville lost their franchise d-man and got nothing in return. Then face the possibility of loosing their other franchise d-man captain a few weeks later.

Anaheim and the Schultz situation

Boston and the Tim Thomas debacle

Detroit lost their captain/franchise d-man

Pittsburg had to trade Staal (alternate captain) cause he wouldn't resign

Columbus's captain asked for a trade

Now Phx might lose their captain

In one summer ... that's 5 captains who might be with different teams or retired. Crazy.

I have faith that MG will do everything in his power to get Doan to sign here. It's too perfect of a situation to pass on. He's the perfect mentor for a kid like Kassian. He can help Kassian develop that heart and soul game that Zach will need to succeed. He, also, still has enough offense left in him to make our second line more effective which will, in turn, open up the ice for the twins.

If we did get Doan, I would expect our top two lines to look like:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Doan

Obviously if Doan were signed, our top two lines would be set and the need to deal Lou for a top six winger would subside; The question is, what would MG be looking for in a deal? We signed Garison to round out our top four dmen and we will have signed Doan for our top six. If we do get Doan, I'd be perfectly happy with draft picks, prospects and depth players.

Lol

How naive are you.

If his price tag exceeds 5.5 mil, Gillis just packs it in and leaves. If you would give a 35 year old as much or more money than Sedins when his production is trending downwards....

I'm just glad you arent the GM.

Raymond 2.2 manny 2.5 alberts 1 and luongo vs snidy is only a savings of 1 and a bit. add that all up 6.6 million and that will only cover elder. Bye burrows. You are also making the assumption that we wont take back more salary from our trade partner or at least equal. Luongo aint getting traded for draft picks. Ya that bitch kesler, what a let down in the nashville series and man i hate 40 goal scorers, their such bitches. Booth is a big boy and we have enough players that can mentor! Kassian is fine too as he will be in the ahl. Its tough to get back to back Stanley cup finals its a slow process, no need to completely be outlandish and sign aging veterans to long term deals.

This article directly refutes your argument that power-forwards in today's NHL need to be heavyweights who 'rack up fighting majors' as you so eloquently phrase it.

http://bleacherrepor...hl-today/page/2

Do all of the players on that list fight, no. Do some of them - certainly. With the exception of Lucic, I'd say not a single one is considered a 'heavyweight puglist'. Even Lucic only had 6 fighting majors last year - hardly a regular fighter when you compare him to the likes of a Prust or a Thornton.

I'd say in the last decade the term power-forward has shifted from guys that could fight and score on occasion - to guys that score regularly and can drop the mitts on occasion. The era of Neely and Tocchet, guys who got points and PIM's are essentially gone as there is way too much at stake (read; money) to have guys that can score sitting in the penalty box on a nightly basis.

My hopes are not high. I don't think the Canucks are as an attractive destination as last year. We were eliminated in the first round...

But hey Garrison signed with us! Hopefully Doan's BC roots help us here.

Your last sentence is correct, just like Garrison, if Doan wants to play here... he'll make it work.

Next year Perry, Clowe, Iginla, Hartnell, Morrow, (ahem) Horton, David Clarkson

will all be available, assuming they don't re-sign before then.

Do we really want Doan under contract next year when BIG TIME upgrades are available to fill a similar sort of role?

Would like to get Doan if he's cheap, but there's a lot of great UFAs next year that would be way, way better.

Canucks have some difficult decisions to make.

Next year Perry, Clowe, Iginla, Hartnell, Morrow, (ahem) Horton, David Clarkson

will all be available, assuming they don't re-sign before then.

Do we really want Doan under contract next year when BIG TIME upgrades are available to fill a similar sort of role?

Would like to get Doan if he's cheap, but there's a lot of great UFAs next year that would be way, way better.

Canucks have some difficult decisions to make.

I have faith that MG will do everything in his power to get Doan to sign here. It's too perfect of a situation to pass on. He's the perfect mentor for a kid like Kassian. He can help Kassian develop that heart and soul game that Zach will need to succeed. He, also, still has enough offense left in him to make our second line more effective which will, in turn, open up the ice for the twins.

If we did get Doan, I would expect our top two lines to look like:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Doan

Obviously if Doan were signed, our top two lines would be set and the need to deal Lou for a top six winger would subside; The question is, what would MG be looking for in a deal? We signed Garison to round out our top four dmen and we will have signed Doan for our top six. If we do get Doan, I'd be perfectly happy with draft picks, prospects and depth players.

Archived