192 replies to this topic

#31 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

To all the haters, when did I ever say that this team is good enough to win the cup?

Clearly, this club has a glaring hole in the top 6 that needs to be filled. But if the price for Doan exceeds the realm of reason, its silly. Overpaying in order to get the cup is a MUST in many cases. But i'm not sold on the fact that Doan, at the age of 35, being a player who is very physical and gritty (wear and tare on his body), is the right guy to overpay on.

Nonetheless, I hope Mike Gillis and Co. will do what they can to land him.
Within reason.
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#32 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

To all the haters, when did I ever say that this team is good enough to win the cup?

Clearly, this club has a glaring hole in the top 6 that needs to be filled. But if the price for Doan exceeds the realm of reason, its silly. Overpaying in order to get the cup is a MUST in many cases. But i'm not sold on the fact that Doan, at the age of 35, being a player who is very physical and gritty (wear and tare on his body), is the right guy to overpay on.

Nonetheless, I hope Mike Gillis and Co. will do what they can to land him.
Within reason.

Having seen Doan training many many times, I can assure you there is absolutely no worry from me about his age.

The guy trains with one of the best in the business and is an absolutely beast of a man. One of the fittest men I have seen.

#33 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,290 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Gillis won't have the balls to sign him to what he wants

Like you know.

Edited by playboi19, 20 July 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#34 Gady

Gady

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I think Doan will sign 4 year deal 24 - 26 M (if not with Phoenix)
Love your enemies - it will drive them crazy ...

#35 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

It is going to be us OR Montreal

ifcoyb.jpg

Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck___________small.pngGM - STHS

NHL: Vancouver&Toronto / MLB: Toronto / NBA: Dallas / NFL: Philadelphia

#36 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

It is going to be us OR Montreal

Wha?? I don't think he'll be signing w/ a non-contender in the east. Guess I'll go ahead and order up my Doan jersey now then.

#37 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

If the Canucks sign Doan to a 5.5 mil contract or around that amount then I would look at the Luongo trade being more of a cap dump then a hockey trade. But other teams have more cap space then the Canucks right now so I don't see Doan signing here. Maybe Detroit as a dark horse.

#38 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

"Let's narrow this list down and take a hard look at a few of the ones that you really feel like there's a really good fit now that you know who's interested and be fair to the clubs that you might not have as much interest in and let them know that they should go a different direction," Bross said of what he plans to tell Doan. "That's probably the next step, and I'm hopeful that Shane will be open to going down that path by the weekend."

Source: http://www.sportsnet...hockey_hearsay/

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#39 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I will remain cautiously hopeful.

RIP LB RR PD

#40 JoGuitar

JoGuitar

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Come to Vancouver Shane!
Posted Image

#41 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Mats Sundin says hi.

Mats Sundin - 07-08 78 points in 74 games
Henrik Sedin 07-08 76 points in 82 games....get your facts straight boy

#42 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Posted Image

That's the angry ignoramus face. You're probably looking for this guy:
Posted Image
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#43 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Mats Sundin could be held responsible for Daniel and Henrik's, and Kesler's, breakout seasons.

And Doan couldn't mentor anyone on the Canucks? Any potential power forwards . . . cough . . Kassian . . . cough. No, probably not.

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#44 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

That's the angry ignoramus face. You're probably looking for this guy:
Posted Image

Angry ignoramus face?

:picard:

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#45 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

And Doan couldn't mentor anyone on the Canucks? Any potential power forwards . . . cough . . Kassian . . . cough. No, probably not.

I doubt he could create any space out there, either.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#46 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Mats Sundin - 07-08 78 points in 74 games
Henrik Sedin 07-08 76 points in 82 games....get your facts straight boy

What are you trying to prove?
And be mindful of who you call boy. Where I'm from, that could be considered offensive.

no duh.

#47 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Lol
How naive are you.

If his price tag exceeds 5.5 mil, Gillis just packs it in and leaves. If you would give a 35 year old as much or more money than Sedins when his production is trending downwards....

I'm just glad you arent the GM.

I'm frickin' sick of this argument, We need a cup badly and I don't care how much it cost, Red Wings used to do it all the time...and ya the Sedin's ain't no b*&^%, they'll understand what the team is trying to accomplish..just because they took a discount doesn't mean that everyone else should be paid less them then...Doan is exactly what this team needs..give him what he wants and let's get on with it.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#48 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Angry ignoramus face?

:picard:

You prefer herpderp?

Just providing descriptions to help the... ignorant. Your usage was improper.

Edited by suolucidir, 20 July 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#49 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,157 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

I'd do it for a one year deal, since we have that ability this year if Luongo moves (or we clear space elsewhere), but when Edler and Burrows are due raises next season we could be potentially left handcuffed as if Sundin had accepted the original 2 year deal.

Doan wants a few years, so we can't offer the moon - especially with it being a +35 contract.

Yeah I would be willing to go 2 or 3 at around 5.5, maybe a bit more maybe a bit less if that's what he wants.

I don't think he will play that much longer and I do think he will still be an effective player in a year or two

zackass.png

#50 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

I believe the reason he is in New York is because he is part of the CBA negotiations... I'm sure he'll go for dinner with the Ranger's GM / Coach but I don't think he's in New York to "visit with teams"...

New York is way too far away from Pheonix no way he goes anywhere in the east..

#51 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

He could mentor Kassian, no doubt. But IMO, Doan is not a true power forward. This is one of the many points I annoy people over.

IMO a real power forward looks for trouble in between the whistles. Always ready to fight. Like Lucic. Doan can fight--sometimes.

I'd say he is more of a big forward. That is also something this team could use in their top six. Someone who isn't just big, but plays big.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#52 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,574 posts

Mats was offered an outrageous contract when we had a tonne of cap space. The two scenario's are totally different in that respect.

It isn't about how much cash Aquilini shells out, it's about how can we make it fit in our salary structure when we're clsoe to the cap.

I'm aware of the differences. What I was responding to was this "If you would give a 35 year old as much or more money than Sedins when his production is trending downwards...."
An older player who's numbers are trending downward being given more than the Sedins. Not how much cap space we have.
Did you even read what I was replying to?

no duh.

#53 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

You prefer herpderp?

Just providing descriptions to help the... ignorant. Your usage was improper.

Ha. The rageface, by itself, HAS been used many times in response to a dumb comment.

Please. Step out of 9gag once and a while.

#54 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

He could mentor Kassian, no doubt. But IMO, Doan is not a true power forward. This is one of the many points I annoy people over.

IMO a real power forward looks for trouble in between the whistles. Always ready to fight. Like Lucic. Doan can fight--sometimes.

I'd say he is more of a big forward. That is also something this team could use in their top six. Someone who isn't just big, but plays big.

OK. Not "true" power forward, for the sake of argument. But a hard working leader who plays physical and produces. He is a valuable mentor no matter how many hairs you split, and would bring a tremendous amount of heart, which would rub off on everyone on this team, just like when Sundin was here.

Edited by Vansicle, 20 July 2012 - 02:04 PM.

no duh.

#55 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

POPULAR

After the whistle stuff isn't what defines a power forward. It's what defines a goon. That said, the size that comes with being a power forward can often translate into post-whistle goonery. Powerforward stuff is using your size to protect the puck, drive the net, own the crease, and of course lay big hits.

#56 Grape

Grape

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

POPULAR

lol. If we overpay Doan CDC will bash MG. If we don't get Doan CDC will bash him and say he didn't have the guts to overpay.

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  

Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#57 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I think all of you should be the first to know I have tabled a competative offer to Doan's agent who has not not expressed interest. Multi-year deal to clean up around my house and do yard work so I can spend more time on CDC.
Posted Image

#58 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

lol. If we overpay Doan CDC will bash MG. If we don't get Doan CDC will bash him and say he didn't have the guts to overpay.

It's almost like CDC has multiple personalities, each with their own unique username. Creeepy...

#59 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Or, if we sign Doan, some will call it an overpayment, and some will call it an underpayment. Not as smug sounding, but certainly as accurate.
Besides, I thought you didn't give a sh!t.

no duh.

#60 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Of all the things to worry about in potentially signing Doan, durability isn't one of them. Guy is one of the most durable players in the modern history of the NHL - especially considering the style of play he brings to his team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.