Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Shane Doan has begun to visit/meet with teams for his services

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
192 replies to this topic

#151 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Problem is he'll want some job security, around a 2 or 3 year deal at the least and hopefully up to a 5 year deal to keep him playing until he's ready to retire or 40.

This is a big gamble for a guy who is not only 35, but plays a hard, physical style of game that will wear on his old body. He's expecting a long term deal which I doubt MG will offer, 3 years at 5 million per is a lot considering he'll be 38 in his last season and probably a 3rd or 4th liner by then.
Posted Image

#152 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

please can we sign someone good NO PLUGS

Posted Image

#153 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Problem is he'll want some job security, around a 2 or 3 year deal at the least and hopefully up to a 5 year deal to keep him playing until he's ready to retire or 40.

This is a big gamble for a guy who is not only 35, but plays a hard, physical style of game that will wear on his old body. He's expecting a long term deal which I doubt MG will offer, 3 years at 5 million per is a lot considering he'll be 38 in his last season and probably a 3rd or 4th liner by then.

The only reason he is a risk, is because the Nucks are always so close to the cap and have too much money tied up in underperforming players (Raymond, Ballard, Luongo, Booth, Malhotra).

To be willing to pay $4M + for Booth or Ballard but not $5M+ for Doan is short-sighted.

The man has played hard hockey for 16 years with almost no injuries and is still one of the most fit athletes in theeleague. Age is a factor but if you let that be your judge, you will miss out on a player that is capable of playing at least 3-4 good years and bringing to this team intangibles (and tangibles) that this team has never had and has demonstrated it needs. There are exceptions to the age factor (Chelios, Lidstrom etc) and I believe Doan to be one of those.

Doan is an impact player; a game changer. The kind of player that leads by example and will carry a team on his back if he has to. The closest thing we have to him is Burrows (in a miniature package).

Doan brings the hard-working, honest toughness that the Nucks lack. He's like Kesler without the diving, beaking-off, arrogance and injuries. He would change the locker room climate in a positive way and make everyone (maybe even Raymond) man-up!!

MG needs this guy!

#154 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

People keep saying we're so hard-up for cash against the cap.

SO incorrect.

#1 Ryan Kesler is on IR
#2 Roberto Luongo WILL be traded, and his contract along with it,
#3 We still have 3.2 million remaining in cap space without making any other moves.

#155 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

AND PS. Getting Doan, would be like gettin Trevor Linden back in his prime.

They are the same player, only Doan's a winger.

#156 tas

tas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

AND PS. Getting Doan, would be like gettin Trevor Linden back in his prime.

They are the same player, only Doan's a winger.

so was linden.

edit: also getting trevor linden in his prime would be getting a 30 goal, 80 point ironman along with the intangibles. 35 year old shane doan is no 24 year old trevor linden. hell, 24 year old shane doan was no 24 year old trevor linden.

Edited by tas, 21 July 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#157 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

So he met with the NY Rangers, is he meeting someone different today?

#158 tas

tas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

So he met with the NY Rangers, is he meeting someone different today?

philly

if I had to guess, it would then go pittsburgh, buffalo (maybe), detroit, vancouver, san jose, los angeles before going home to phoenix. i suspect despite interest from 16 teams, those are the ones he would narrow it down to and that pattern makes the most geographic sense.

#159 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

so was linden.

edit: also getting trevor linden in his prime would be getting a 30 goal, 80 point ironman along with the intangibles. 35 year old shane doan is no 24 year old trevor linden. hell, 24 year old shane doan was no 24 year old trevor linden.

Well, for the record:
1. Linden was a centre, he played wing later and earlier in his career. But Linden in his prime was a centre.
2. In his prime (1991-1996) Linden averaged 66Pts per year, Doan, in the last 6 years of his career has averaged 61 Points per year, on a team that is FAR worse than the team Linden had.
3. They are both Canadian, both have gold medals playing for team Canada. "Captain Canada and Captain Canuck".
4. Both players are small-town Alberta boys.
5. Both players are natural leaders, class acts, and throwback hockey players that will do anything to win.
6. Doan and Linden were drafted in the top 10.

My point is that they are both VERY similar players, aside from the C/W thing.

Getting Doan today, is like getting Trevor Linden in his prime.

I'm sticking to that POV.

#160 kentk

kentk

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

U have to remember were also trading Luo away.... im sure we'll pick up our few missing pieces with that trade.... Not to mention ol Raymond ... im sure he'll be a part of that deal.

#161 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

Western conference teams that Doan has on his list are #SJSharks and #Canucks (strong possibility for VAN am being told).

Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#162 bigpush

bigpush

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Doan is only worth it for 4 mil or under a season. Canucks could definitely use his heart and size in the top 6 but he doesn't fit the Canucks style (speed and puck possesion) or needs ( playmaking ability) IMO. He is being pumped up right now because of a weak UFA market. This team needs to continue to get younger not older, who know what will happen with the Luongo trade, Gillis might end up taking on more salary to ensure a decent return, so the Canucks cannot afford to pay Doan what he will most likely get.

#163 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Doan is only worth it for 4 mil or under a season. Canucks could definitely use his heart and size in the top 6 but he doesn't fit the Canucks style (speed and puck possesion) or needs ( playmaking ability) IMO. He is being pumped up right now because of a weak UFA market. This team needs to continue to get younger not older, who know what will happen with the Luongo trade, Gillis might end up taking on more salary to ensure a decent return, so the Canucks cannot afford to pay Doan what he will most likely get.

Agreed. I think Gillis' main goal is to bring back a young center prospect. He has no one up and coming other than Guance who could possibly yet make a case for the first line one day (basically a gamble). If we free up cap space from the Luongo trade as well as dumping Ballard, and Raymonds contract being up next year. I feel they can still resign Burrows and Edler while being able to make a pitch for Doan.
Posted Image

#164 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Architect you sum it up best. Gillis won't over pay and will move to the next option. Gillis has a lot of options, more than most think.

#165 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Agreed. I think Gillis' main goal is to bring back a young center prospect. He has no one up and coming other than Guance who could possibly yet make a case for the first line one day (basically a gamble). If we free up cap space from the Luongo trade as well as dumping Ballard, and Raymonds contract being up next year. I feel they can still resign Burrows and Edler while being able to make a pitch for Doan.

Schroeder?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#166 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Schroeder?

Schroeder?

Shroeder definitely has a chance, I just think at this point he's even more of a gamble than Guance is. If MG wants this team to remain a contender, he needs to bring in someone who has serious potential. That's all I'm getting at.

Edited by Tystick, 21 July 2012 - 05:52 PM.

Posted Image

#167 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Architect you sum it up best. Gillis won't over pay and will move to the next option. Gillis has a lot of options, more than most think.

If you want the top free agents you have to play the over pay game, plain and simple.

And as for the comment about Gillis having lots of options my only response is...ha ha ha ha...

Luongo-Userbar.gif
14vmxhf.jpg

#168 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I find it funny to speculate about how much a player is worth...
To me getting a player like Doan adds a dimension we lack and gives AV new options.
You really think Doan wouldn't have responded when Sedin was used as a punching bag in the final?
I also think our own players would be held to a higher standard with Shane in the room.
I say the Canucks win the series with a Doan in the line-up!
Adding leadership is always a positive and as long a Shane has desire he is a huge asset.
Honestly if Doan’s agent said he wants to play for the Canucks I'd open the vault for him.
You know how much a cup winning team will make the owners, I can only speculate it will be far more than Shane would make over the length on a contract.
But really does he want to play here?
I doubt it, Phoenix is his 1st choice IMO after that I'm not sure but I don't think we're the lotus land for players that we fans seem to think.
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#169 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

I will be shocked if he doesn't sign with us!!MG knows talent and leadership and like said Sundin came here why wouldn't Doan and why wouldn't MG give him what he wants when he is from BC! :towel:

He's from Alberta...

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#170 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

^ Ya unfortunately he's not from BC, but he is part owner of the Blazers, and his wife his from Kamloops as well, so you never know...
Posted Image

#171 xWCMx

xWCMx

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

If what I'm hearing is correct, and Doan is checking out practice facilities and the cities themselves, we're going to be in pretty good shape. Don't we have one of, if not the best practice facility/staff/etc. in the NHL? And as long as he's here on a sunny day im sure it won't be hard to fall in love with Vancouver
Posted Image

Sig removed - inappropriate ^ how was this inappropriate?

#172 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

If what I'm hearing is correct, and Doan is checking out practice facilities and the cities themselves, we're going to be in pretty good shape. Don't we have one of, if not the best practice facility/staff/etc. in the NHL? And as long as he's here on a sunny day im sure it won't be hard to fall in love with Vancouver

He will be getting a tour from each team. It will include the city itsef along with the facilities, opportunity to win a cup, personnel, his role, the coach, owners etc.

It could boil down to who his linemates will be or teh style of the coach as much as the city or training facilities. Who knows what he is looking for.

#173 xWCMx

xWCMx

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

He will be getting a tour from each team. It will include the city itsef along with the facilities, opportunity to win a cup, personnel, his role, the coach, owners etc.

It could boil down to who his linemates will be or teh style of the coach as much as the city or training facilities. Who knows what he is looking for.

Ahhh ok. Even so, when it comes to his criteria pertaining to off ice activities and facilities, we should have the advantage. Hopefully that can cover up some things that we may not be able to offer him (ice time, line mates, money/term)
Posted Image

Sig removed - inappropriate ^ how was this inappropriate?

#174 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

People keep saying we're so hard-up for cash against the cap.

SO incorrect.

#1 Ryan Kesler is on IR
#2 Roberto Luongo WILL be traded, and his contract along with it,
#3 We still have 3.2 million remaining in cap space without making any other moves.

Canucks will be taking back some salary in a trade, for sure.
:towel:

#175 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

I am going to post Aquilini's photo everytime someone post the photo above.

Edited by HiFiclub, 21 July 2012 - 08:54 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#176 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

I find it funny to speculate about how much a player is worth...
To me getting a player like Doan adds a dimension we lack and gives AV new options.
You really think Doan wouldn't have responded when Sedin was used as a punching bag in the final?
I also think our own players would be held to a higher standard with Shane in the room.
I say the Canucks win the series with a Doan in the line-up!
Adding leadership is always a positive and as long a Shane has desire he is a huge asset.
Honestly if Doan’s agent said he wants to play for the Canucks I'd open the vault for him.
You know how much a cup winning team will make the owners, I can only speculate it will be far more than Shane would make over the length on a contract.
But really does he want to play here?
I doubt it, Phoenix is his 1st choice IMO after that I'm not sure but I don't think we're the lotus land for players that we fans seem to think.

We missed a veteran player like Doan since we lost Samuelsson and matt Sundin
Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#177 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Ahhh ok. Even so, when it comes to his criteria pertaining to off ice activities and facilities, we should have the advantage. Hopefully that can cover up some things that we may not be able to offer him (ice time, line mates, money/term)

Well, I'm pretty sure he would be a top 6 foward here, also member of our PP and PK, he is great in both situations. Having the Sedins or Kesler and Booth as line mates sounds pretty good to me. What makes me worry is, of course, the money/term.

#178 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

We missed a veteran player like Doan since we lost Samuelsson and matt Sundin

And Salo.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#179 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

please can we sign someone good NO PLUGS

..you're calling Doan a plug? Are you high?

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#180 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
Western conference teams that Doan has on his list are #SJSharks and #Canucks (strong possibility for VAN am being told).

errrrr. hockey insiderr is an invalid source. Why are people still giving him a positive? Don't you guys find it suspicous that he is the only guy "hearing" crap? I can't believe you guys are so gulible.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.