The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan has begun to visit/meet with teams for his services

Doan is a big risk, considering hes getting older, and isnt as good as he once was. Remember Naslund? We resigned him towards the end of his career, and he didnt put up "nazzy" numbers. Dont get me wrong, I like Naslund, but Im just saying.

Guest Dasein

LOL if PHI gets Doan as well as Weber this summer ...

They would be absolutely loaded ... Except in net haha

Hard to believe I just read four plus pages of a thread where half of it is a debate whether Shane Doan is a "power forward" or not.

225 lbs, 205 hits, and 22 goals are a pretty good indication that he fits that definition.

Iginla, who is alllegedly a certified power forward, has never had 100 penalty minutes in a season in the NHL - in fact he has only 809 pims in 15 seasons. Yeah, he's a power forward - but a lack of discipline or the number of fighting majors a power forward racks up have nothing to do with whether or not he is a power forward. Doan has a couple hundred more over the same span. An enforcer is another type of player entirely - and there were plenty of them in the 70s and 80s who racked up as many penalty minutes in 2 or 3 seasons as guys like Iginla and Doan have over their entire career. They were not power forwards - they were enforcers - they lacked the skill, scoring ability and top six potential of a power forward. Big difference, and not merely dependent upon the way the game has changed. Cam Neely also averaged under 100 pims a season - in the enforcer era - definitely a power forward - definitely nothing resembling an enforcer.

Shane Doan = prototypical power forward.

Sure as hell hope those 200+ hits and 20+ goals (as well as a number of other intangibles) are added to the Canucks roster.

So he fought Brown, Kubina, and Morrow. Great.

Nolan fought Odjick. Lucic fought Orr. Doan fights every now and then, against people who Bieksa could KO if given the opportunity. Doan is not really a pugilist. Power forwards should be heavyweight pugilists who are look for trouble with other heavyweight puglists in between the whistles.

I don't think you do if you think Power Forwards are not supposed to be mean SOB's in between whistles who rack up fighting majors.

For as long as I remember, fighting was a part of a power forwards game. But in recent years, a new era of fans want to reclassify the term "power forward".

Doan is a class act and a great player. But when you think power forward, you think guys like Neely, Lucic, Iggy, and Nolan. Guys like Doan use their size well-yes, but so do guys like Franzen. Franzen is not a power forward.

Someone's moving out of Philly if they get Weber... Weber puts them over the cap with Voracek and Bourdon still to sign as RFAs. In the event that they land him, I'd suspect they'd drop the pursuit for Doan, unless they can find a way to move salary out. Pronger on LTI or retiring would bring some relief, but even with that they still wouldn't be able to fit Doan, Voracek and Bourdon under the cap.

He would be perfect on our 1st or 2nd line, but that leaves us with an excess of good forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Weise

That's incredible depth, but almost too much when you compare it to our defence:

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

This team needs more balance. We can afford to have a crappy 4th line, but we can't afford to have a bad 3rd pairing.

He would be perfect on our 1st or 2nd line, but that leaves us with an excess of good forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Weise

That's incredible depth, but almost too much when you compare it to our defence:

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

This team needs more balance. We can afford to have a crappy 4th line, but we can't afford to have a bad 3rd pairing.

Archived