The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Non Profit Organizations

FlappyLappy

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has worked for a NON Profit Organization ever? I have an interview in the coming weeks for an accounting position, the pay is actually better then most organizations, but I guess my main thing is no one ever wants to be stuck at entry level. Are there advancement opportunities in a non profit organization? or am i better just to keep looking for a job that has a advancement opportunity??

Help

You can make a lot of money doing accounting for non-profits. In fact, a lot of accountants choose to specialize in NPOs, if you are one of them you should do alright. Just remember that NPO accounting is a bit different from working in industry as well as public practice, so if you have experience in those areas you may want to stick with what you know.

I'm assuming you're going the CGA route, as CMAs are usually employed in industry and CAs need to work in public practice, in that case I'd say make sure you take the PACE elective that focuses on the non-profit sector. If you're just talking about bookkeeping and are not going to become an acocuntant later on, you will have to watch a lot of people around you getting designated and taking the good jobs while you advance much more slowly. Still a lot of opportunity in bookkeeping, but the best jobs always go to the accountants.

You can make a lot of money doing accounting for non-profits. In fact, a lot of accountants choose to specialize in NPOs, if you are one of them you should do alright. Just remember that NPO accounting is a bit different from working in industry as well as public practice, so if you have experience in those areas you may want to stick with what you know.

I'm assuming you're going the CGA route, as CMAs are usually employed in industry and CAs need to work in public practice, in that case I'd say make sure you take the PACE elective that focuses on the non-profit sector. If you're just talking about bookkeeping and are not going to become an acocuntant later on, you will have to watch a lot of people around you getting designated and taking the good jobs while you advance much more slowly. Still a lot of opportunity in bookkeeping, but the best jobs always go to the accountants.

It would *seem* that way. However in an NPO one of the most important things is ensuring that money is not squandered, and that people don't steal, in that regard you need to attract good accountants. The sad thing in accounting is that you usually get what you pay for, that nice guy who will do it for pennies is probably going to make a lot of mistakes and bad decisions. One thing I've learned, mostly from working in industry, is that you never skimp out on accounting costs, because it always ends up costing you more in the end.

So if this guy is just looking for a quick buck, then you are right, screw him, but if he is looking for a good wage because he is darn good, thats the type of accountant everyone wants to have, you'll save more than you spend every time.

Thanks for your very insightful reply. I am interviewing for an entry level accounts payable position, not the most entertaining of jobs but its a job in my field. As for myself I am currently 4 courses away from completing my BA, and about 6 courses away from a CGA designation. My only fear is where I live (Calgary) the economy is booming again, and I just dont want to get into the wrong field and miss out on a boat load of good opportunities.

I have an interview on monday with a publicly traded fright and logistics company with tremendous growth potential, but its a job i have never done (collections, billings, and AR). I then have this interview with a NPO as well in work that I have done before, so im just unsure if I should stick to what I know or try another route. I am kind of getting tired of jumping from one place to another as I am not getting any younger (currently 25) and I just want to start out my career

I still don't know why you want that NPO job since it's only money that you're after. I despise people who use non-profit organizations to make money, including the people in charge of them that pay themselves handsomely.

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has worked for a NON Profit Organization ever? I have an interview in the coming weeks for an accounting position, the pay is actually better then most organizations, but I guess my main thing is no one ever wants to be stuck at entry level. Are there advancement opportunities in a non profit organization? or am i better just to keep looking for a job that has a advancement opportunity??

Help

I work for a non profit society. The pay is better than some private sector jobs that I have had but not as good as other jobs I have had. So that doesn't really help you. Personally I love the non profit sector. I love doing something that is important and has a real positive impact on society. If money is your only motivator then do not apply. However, there is nothing to be ashamed of if you get paid for doing a great job.

I still don't know why you want that NPO job since it's only money that you're after. I despise people who use non-profit organizations to make money, including the people in charge of them that pay themselves handsomely.

I work for a non profit society. The pay is better than some private sector jobs that I have had but not as good as other jobs I have had. So that doesn't really help you. Personally I love the non profit sector. I love doing something that is important and has a real positive impact on society. If money is your only motivator then do not apply. However, there is nothing to be ashamed of if you get paid for doing a great job.

This kind of thinking is frustrating to deal with. Non profit is not the same as voluntary. We have volunteers that do great work for us but that does not devalue the work of our paid staff. Good, hardworking people should be paid for their efforts. A good worker can accomplish x10 more than the average worker, so it is financially responsible to hire and retain the best people and pay them appropriately. Any organization has to bring on paid professionals once they grow in size. If they stayed as strictly voluntary, the society could not grow and the work they would do would be limited or would suffer. There is no shame in getting paid for doing a good, be proud of it.

Of course, those people that "despise" me for this probably do not voluntarily run a non profit. But nothing is stopping them!!

I'm sure all the volunteers are good hardworking people too. Should you pay all of them as well?

To me, NPOs and charity groups can pay for salaries because of the volunteers. Someone who answers the phones is equivalent to a desk clerk and they get paid $ 10.25 an hour minimum and possibly with benefits if working longer.

Also the OP doesn't seem to show that he has interest in 'helping'. He is seemingly primarily motivated by money, especially when he's spent 4+ years in university and wants to get a paycheque right now, thus is targeting NPOs because of the pay.

The term NPO is extremely misleading. The idea of a non-profit organization is that the organization itself does not make money. But we (including myself) all know that it takes money to run things; it's gotta come from somewhere. My problem with this is that since the pay (for hired help) is above average what other places pay people, that is not good money management. It could have been better spent on the actual problems that they are trying to fix. When you think about it, it's like a badly run (for profit) organization where costs are not kept down and money is thrown around.

Also, working for an NPO doesn't make a person inherently better (not really targetting you Dinamo); if you're paid, you're not a volunteer - you're hired help. It's just the same as a regular 9-5 job. Any business NEEDS its workers. Certain type of help is worth nothing (no pay) to an NPO. But I'm sure they'd love to take advantage of volunteers though.

(Again not talking about you Dinaimo) I don't like some (not all) people bragging about how they work for an NPO like they're better than other people, when they're paid extremely handsomely.

I'm sure all the volunteers are good hardworking people too. Should you pay all of them as well?

To me, NPOs and charity groups can pay for salaries because of the volunteers. Someone who answers the phones is equivalent to a desk clerk and they get paid $ 10.25 an hour minimum and possibly with benefits if working longer.

Also the OP doesn't seem to show that he has interest in 'helping'. He is seemingly primarily motivated by money, especially when he's spent 4+ years in university and wants to get a paycheque right now, thus is targeting NPOs because of the pay.

The term NPO is extremely misleading. The idea of a non-profit organization is that the organization itself does not make money. But we (including myself) all know that it takes money to run things; it's gotta come from somewhere. My problem with this is that since the pay (for hired help) is above average what other places pay people, that is not good money management. It could have been better spent on the actual problems that they are trying to fix. When you think about it, it's like a badly run (for profit) organization where costs are not kept down and money is thrown around.

According to The Harvard Crimson, at one time, around 2006 (which means maybe they've fixed the problem since then), the American Cancer Society spent more money on 'overhead fees' than fixing the actual problems. 95 percent of it was paid to keep it afloat. (Stat is lifted from the article).

It seems like at this time, it is nothing more than a badly run (for profit) organization. (Link here: http://www.thecrimso...e-belowstrongp/).

Also, working for an NPO doesn't make a person inherently better (not really targetting you Dinamo); if you're paid, you're not a volunteer - you're hired help. It's just the same as a regular 9-5 job. Any business NEEDS its workers. Certain type of help is worth nothing (no pay) to an NPO. But I'm sure they'd love to take advantage of volunteers though.

(Again not talking about you Dinaimo) I don't like some (not all) people bragging about how they work for an NPO like they're better than other people, when they're paid extremely handsomely.

Who here is acting "better than other people"?

NPO's come in various shapes and sizes....along with their pay-grades for positions.....just like the private enterprise sector, many who pay their CEO's and directors handsomely for plenty of 'nothing' as well. And volunteering in an NPO run program, is quite different than running the program or the NPO as an employee, and those employees much like anywhere else, deserved to be paid fairly, but if they manage to get a position that pays them more than fairly, while not having the programs suffer, then good for them. It's much like how private sector managers or employees get wage raises without reducing the quality of the product or service.

Archived