Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Game] What does Poile do? And Why?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

Poll: [Game] What does Poile do? And Why? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Poile's Decision

1. Accept the 4 first round picks (21 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Match (18 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. Negotiate a Trade (9 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kjames05

kjames05

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'll go first.

Poile negotiates a trade. It's almost obvious that Weber wants out now that Suter is gone and the Preds chances of being a contender every year has greatly diminished. But Poile can't let Weber go for what is likely to be 4 20+ overall draft picks. I think Poile will tell Holmgren that he will match unless they work out a favourable deal for Nash. What that deal is I'm not sure but it likely will start with Couturier + Voracek + more.

Discuss.

#2 Hank's Secret Sauce

Hank's Secret Sauce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Since Weber signed the offersheet it's too late to negotiate a trade. If they match it, they still can't trade him for a year. It almost seems like a no-brainer to match and then consider trading him after a year (for a lot more then the 4 late firsts) but I believe Weber is set to make $27M in that one year (wow) which is a huge hurdle for a smaller market team like Nashville.

#3 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

They can't trade Weber.

If I were Poile, I'd match if the owners say I could.

Edited by The Great Honey Badger, 20 July 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#4 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Let him walk.
Cry.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#5 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

I suspect they will allow him to go to Philly.
Then they will likely make a trade with the Flyers, and pick up a player or two while sending a couple of Philly's draft picks back.

Poile and Holmgren are friends and have a good relationship, so I suspect they will parlay this into a bigger transaction which helps both sides.
Posted Image

#6 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Since Weber signed the offersheet it's too late to negotiate a trade. If they match it, they still can't trade him for a year. It almost seems like a no-brainer to match and then consider trading him after a year (for a lot more then the 4 late firsts) but I believe Weber is set to make $27M in that one year (wow) which is a huge hurdle for a smaller market team like Nashville.

He won't make 27M in one year there's a rule in the CBA stating a player can only 20% of the cap a year so 70.2M * 0.2 = 14.04M. So 14.04M is the maximum he can make. That's nowhere near 27M I have no idea where you got that...

(of course they are ratifying a new CBA but still I highly doubt 27M contracts will be allowed

Edited by UMADBRO?, 20 July 2012 - 06:47 PM.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#7 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,361 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

He needs to invest the owners money in inventing a time machine. Go back to July,1 last year and sign Suter/Weber both to 6-8 year deals.

Then trade Radulov's rights to Phoenix to sabotage them in their second round match-up.

Subbancopy.jpg

#8 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

He won't make 27M in one year there's a rule in the CBA stating a player can only 20% of the cap a year so 70.2M * 0.2 = 14.04M. So 14.04M is the maximum he can make. That's nowhere near 27M I have no idea where you got that...

(of course they are ratifying a new CBA but still I highly doubt 27M contracts will be allowed

I believe that is cap hit not what he can make.

#9 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Here is what I do and why.

The Team Captain signed a deal with another team. That is as good as kissing Nashville goodbye, in the mafia sense of the term. If you match it, your buying a guy who doesn't want to play there, has no heart in it and will have to be stripped of the C anyways. It is not worth the 26m a year for the first six years that it will cost the owners, who have an internal cap lower than the real one.

You let him go, curse the luck and plan out what to do with 8 first round picks over the next four seasons. You also buy the best UFA's available right now to stock the team for at least the year and go from there. I would bring in old timers, 35+ on short term contracts but stagger them 1 2 and 3 year deals, so you can add pieces each offseason.

That is what I do.

Kubina
Spacek, and any other old but good Dman you can get your hands on. (*I picked those two from my Fantasy Hockey Team, haha...)

Edited by Primal Optimist, 20 July 2012 - 06:58 PM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#10 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

that rule is for cap hit. dreger reported when this first broke that in one year weber would make 26 million, the reason nashville can't match.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#11 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

He trades us Rinne, Fisher, Erat, Gaustad and Hornqvist for Luo and a 7th.
Why?
Because I said so
Posted Image

#12 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Its true that he can only make 20% of the cap of a team during ONE SEASON, but from what I have heard on the news, Weber is allowed to make the $26-27 million in ONE CALENDAR YEAR...so I think he makes money during the offseason as well, therefore not counting as cap space.

At least that is my understanding of the situation, I'd be glad to be corrected if I'm wrong

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#13 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Knowing Poile he will do everything he can to match... unless ownership steps in and says they can't commit that much for that long on one player.

The Preds ownership has given Poile the green light before... i think they do it again.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#14 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Its true that he can only make 20% of the cap of a team during ONE SEASON, but from what I have heard on the news, Weber is allowed to make the $26-27 million in ONE CALENDAR YEAR...so I think he makes money during the offseason as well, therefore not counting as cap space.

At least that is my understanding of the situation, I'd be glad to be corrected if I'm wrong

The signing bonuses are paid in a few early years, thus 26 million cash but the cap hit is within the %'s so it clears. in the last three years of the deal he is paid in real money only 1m. it balances out at something like 7.8 a year or something.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#15 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Knowing Poile he will do everything he can to match... unless ownership steps in and says they can't commit that much for that long on one player.

The Preds ownership has given Poile the green light before... i think they do it again.

why would they want to secure a long term deal with a player who doesnt' wanna be there?

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#16 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

The rule is exactly as you said. A player cap hit cannot exceed 20% of the cap ceiling. Weber's cap hit will only be 7.8 million. However his actual pay will be 27 million. 1 million salary and 26 million signing bonus.

The contract is just super front loaded. I don't think there is a limit on how much a player can earn in one year.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#17 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Regarding the actual topic, Poile absolutely has to match. If he loses Weber after already losing Suter, he has essentially lost the entire franchise and core. The fans will be upset and Nashville will have no choice but to start a rebuild from scratch. All the work toward building the fanbase, franchise and making the playoffs will be erased.

No matter the financial burden on the owners, they have to match and figure it out from there. If Weber demands a trade in a year, Poile can selectively get the package he wants in return and it will surely be more valuable than four first rounders. He could get young, impact, core, franchise building players in return.

Simply, they have to match.

Edited by bossram, 20 July 2012 - 07:29 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#18 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

The Team Captain signed a deal with another team. That is as good as kissing Nashville goodbye, in the mafia sense of the term. If you match it, your buying a guy who doesn't want to play there, has no heart in it and will have to be stripped of the C anyways. It is not worth the 26m a year for the first six years that it will cost the owners, who have an internal cap lower than the real one.

You let him go, curse the luck and plan out what to do with 8 first round picks over the next four seasons. You also buy the best UFA's available right now to stock the team for at least the year and go from there. I would bring in old timers, 35+ on short term contracts but stagger them 1 2 and 3 year deals, so you can add pieces each offseason.

That is what I do.

Kubina
Spacek, and any other old but good Dman you can get your hands on. (*I picked those two from my Fantasy Hockey Team, haha...)

Should we strip Kesler of his A as well?

#19 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

The only options I see are matching, or negotiating a trade. No way Poile lets Weber walk for 4 -1st round picks. I think Philly screwed themselves, big time.

They're going to give up young assets they didn't want to part with in the first place (Couturier or Schenn ++)
or
Ensure they never get Weber and potentially peeve off some GM's in the process

I can see why Gillis didn't want to offersheet Weber for a long term deal.

#20 Lups

Lups

Jebus

• Members
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Signing Bonus

#21 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'll go first.

Poile negotiates a trade. It's almost obvious that Weber wants out now that Suter is gone and the Preds chances of being a contender every year has greatly diminished. But Poile can't let Weber go for what is likely to be 4 20+ overall draft picks. I think Poile will tell Holmgren that he will match unless they work out a favourable deal for Nash. What that deal is I'm not sure but it likely will start with Couturier + Voracek + more.

Discuss.

As has been mentioned, once an offer sheet has been signed, Nashville only has two choices, to match or take the compensation. There's options for after that, whether Philly would consider moving some pieces to get back some of the 1st rounders but it's a pretty limited discussion. Not to mention everyone is already going over what will happen in the thread in Trades, Rumours and Signings.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I believe that is cap hit not what he can make.

Sort of.

Others have tried to explain but not quite hit the mark, but the $27M is the actual amount he's paid before the start of second season in this deal. Before playing a game in that second season, he'll have been paid $13M before this season in a signing bonus and $1M in salary over the course of the year, but also another $13M signing bonus before the start of the second season.

That's $27M paid out in a calendar year, and a lot of cash to have paid out for a team that hasn't been able to afford spending to the cap. If a lockout wipes out next season, he'll have been paid $26M without having to play a game since signing bonus are paid regardless if the season occurs or not.

The rule you've quoted is the amount any one player is paid can't exceed the 20% in a single season, which is why his deal is structured to pay out only $14M ($13M signing bonus and $1M salary) for each of the next four seasons.

EDIT: but this has all been discussed multiple times in the original thread.

Edited by elvis15, 20 July 2012 - 08:53 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#23 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Polie is in a tough spot, if i were him i'd match the offer, and lock him up for the rest of his career. He is an absolute stud d-man that a franchise doesn't get very often.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#24 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

He won't make 27M in one year there's a rule in the CBA stating a player can only 20% of the cap a year so 70.2M * 0.2 = 14.04M. So 14.04M is the maximum he can make. That's nowhere near 27M I have no idea where you got that...radi

14M signing bonus this summer + cannot be traded for one year upon the date he signed + 13M bonus on July 1st 2013 = Nashville's owner having to pay a player 27M for one year of playing on his team.

#25 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Regardless, Nashville is in a lose-lose situation if they let him be signed by offer sheet or do a sign and trade. Their only hope is keep Weber for the 14 years to get full value from Weber's contract... Unless the new CBA allows for $$$ to be included in trades just like the good old days.

#26 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

If Polie lets him walk for those 4 first rounder, I have no idea what happens to the preds franchise.

I dont know if they make the playoffs and even if they develop more players, they will all walk.

Walked

Timonen

Hartnell (both traded for crap because they said they were going to walk )

Forsberg walked as soon as possible

Hamhuis

Suter

Weber (if Polie lets him )

And so the question remains how does the franchise repair the notion players just end up leaving ?
Posted Image

#27 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Cry.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 BraveHart

BraveHart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

That is what I do.

Kubina

Canucks signed David Backes to a offer sheet four years ago and look at him now, the captain of the Blues. Weber signed the offer sheet from Holmgren because he likes the money, not because he doesnt want to play in Nashville. Philly just made him an offer he couldnt refuse.

Posted Image

#29 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Find a Canadian buyer for the team, and soon.

#30 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Seeing what Suter and Parise got what Weber got is a deal for Nashville. I think Philly is actually helping Nashville by making a fair market offer. Poile can go to the owners and present it to them and recommend acceptance. The owners have to accept it because Weber is the face of the franchise. He is also a reflection of the value of the franchise. With Weber signed the Predators are worth over $200,000,000. If Weber walks Nashville will be lining up behind Phoenix for new owners and a new location and BIG losses.

Edited by pomorick, 20 July 2012 - 11:06 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.