The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Game] What does Poile do? And Why?

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll go first.

Poile negotiates a trade. It's almost obvious that Weber wants out now that Suter is gone and the Preds chances of being a contender every year has greatly diminished. But Poile can't let Weber go for what is likely to be 4 20+ overall draft picks. I think Poile will tell Holmgren that he will match unless they work out a favourable deal for Nash. What that deal is I'm not sure but it likely will start with Couturier + Voracek + more.

Discuss.

He won't make 27M in one year there's a rule in the CBA stating a player can only 20% of the cap a year so 70.2M * 0.2 = 14.04M. So 14.04M is the maximum he can make. That's nowhere near 27M I have no idea where you got that...

(of course they are ratifying a new CBA but still I highly doubt 27M contracts will be allowed

He won't make 27M in one year there's a rule in the CBA stating a player can only 20% of the cap a year so 70.2M * 0.2 = 14.04M. So 14.04M is the maximum he can make. That's nowhere near 27M I have no idea where you got that...radi

(of course they are ratifying a new CBA but still I highly doubt 27M contracts will be allowed

Regardless, Nashville is in a lose-lose situation if they let him be signed by offer sheet or do a sign and trade. Their only hope is keep Weber for the 14 years to get full value from Weber's contract... Unless the new CBA allows for $$$ to be included in trades just like the good old days.

If Polie lets him walk for those 4 first rounder, I have no idea what happens to the preds franchise.

I dont know if they make the playoffs and even if they develop more players, they will all walk.

Walked

Timonen

Hartnell (both traded for crap because they said they were going to walk )

Forsberg walked as soon as possible

Hamhuis

Suter

Weber (if Polie lets him )

And so the question remains how does the franchise repair the notion players just end up leaving ?

Here is what I do and why.

The Team Captain signed a deal with another team. That is as good as kissing Nashville goodbye, in the mafia sense of the term. If you match it, your buying a guy who doesn't want to play there, has no heart in it and will have to be stripped of the C anyways. It is not worth the 26m a year for the first six years that it will cost the owners, who have an internal cap lower than the real one.

You let him go, curse the luck and plan out what to do with 8 first round picks over the next four seasons. You also buy the best UFA's available right now to stock the team for at least the year and go from there. I would bring in old timers, 35+ on short term contracts but stagger them 1 2 and 3 year deals, so you can add pieces each offseason.

That is what I do.

Kubina

Spacek, and any other old but good Dman you can get your hands on. (*I picked those two from my Fantasy Hockey Team, haha...)

Seeing what Suter and Parise got what Weber got is a deal for Nashville. I think Philly is actually helping Nashville by making a fair market offer. Poile can go to the owners and present it to them and recommend acceptance. The owners have to accept it because Weber is the face of the franchise. He is also a reflection of the value of the franchise. With Weber signed the Predators are worth over $200,000,000. If Weber walks Nashville will be lining up behind Phoenix for new owners and a new location and BIG losses.

I suspect they will allow him to go to Philly.

Then they will likely make a trade with the Flyers, and pick up a player or two while sending a couple of Philly's draft picks back.

Poile and Holmgren are friends and have a good relationship, so I suspect they will parlay this into a bigger transaction which helps both sides.

Forget Poile, If I'm the owner, I would not match. Take the first round draft picks, and use the money in an attempt to acquire some skill, and players who bring fans into their seats. Nashville already has a good fan base, they wanna come to watch an entertaining game. As good as Weber is, he doesn't draw the casual people. It's a dynamic superstar forward that is going to change everything for the franchise. Then again, I've said it numerous times that I don't think Weber is as good as people think he is. I don't think he's going to be better without Suter, so I wouldn't pay the price. He's just not worth it. The only two defense man, I'd pay that much money to, are Erik Karlsson and Alex Pietrangelo. Nashville has done a hell of a good job drafting, and I wouldn't hesitate to get the picks.

Realistically, Poile probably wants to re-sign Weber, and is going to, because people aren't patient and they wanna try to win with Weber and Rinne. I just don't see it.

Match and Trade is an interesting scenario. I don't think Weber will have a successful season if he stays in Nashville. If that is the case, you wonder if he's worth the contract. Who's going to take him, if he indeed has a bad year? Who's to say that he is going to have a good year? Suter isn't there to save him the embarrassment of making defensive mistakes, and will Weber's partner also let Weber take all the shots? like Suter did. They only have Hal Gill, as a shutdown defender. Should they hope Gill, at 37, is half of what Suter is? You can't have Weber being a shutdown defender because then, he won't be worth the contract. Plus, his defensive game is great, but it's still inconsistent.

Team also needs to get rid of this distraction. It's been a while now, since the media has been saying that Weber wants out. People still question about it. Of course, he's stupid(potentially stuck in Nashville for the rest of his life) if it's true but how can the franchise move on from this. There's too much uncertainty with the team's Captain. Just look at Columbus and Nash now. It's a complete mess and if Nashville matches, they'll be in the same situation.

Regarding the actual topic, Poile absolutely has to match. If he loses Weber after already losing Suter, he has essentially lost the entire franchise and core. The fans will be upset and Nashville will have no choice but to start a rebuild from scratch. All the work toward building the fanbase, franchise and making the playoffs will be erased.

No matter the financial burden on the owners, they have to match and figure it out from there. If Weber demands a trade in a year, Poile can selectively get the package he wants in return and it will surely be more valuable than four first rounders. He could get young, impact, core, franchise building players in return.

Simply, they have to match.

This.

From the franchise's standpoint, not matching will be a terrible blow to the team's reputation as a place where a cup can be won. Suter leaving and Weber wanting out has already tarnished that reputation. A small-market team like Nashville cannot let a player like Weber go. He is the cornerstone of their franchise.

Poile may work something out with Holmgren where he won't match as long as Holmgren trades some roster players for the picks back.

But like I said, I really don't think the Preds can afford to lose both Suter and Weber in one summer. It's a blow the franchise would never recover from.

Poile should match. A team loses its two best defensemen in the same off-season, they will lose the fans that love the team because of those two, and then many more when the fans realize that Nashville is a playoff-bubble team at best without those two. Of course, he can't be traded for one year. So somewhere in their exit meetings, Weber may ask for a trade, or ask to get quality support.

I can't imagine Nashville being so horrible that people want out as soon as they can. More than where they live, the players want the best shot at a Stanley Cup as to their preferred destination. I think Weber could legitimately be a Pred for his career, but he's going to want some top-end talent at forward to convince him that Nashville is for real. Poile matching this offer sheet is a start in convincing others that they want to be major players in the NHL.

Archived