The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Kane embarrassed by drunk photos

Tystick

Jesus Christ on a cross, where do I even start with this one. :picard:

The cabbie situation isn't irrelevant. Its speaks to a patter of idiotic behaviour, that hasn't lessened with age, experience, or a previous reprimand from that fiasco, as he showed his violent tendencies once again, by trying to choke out a girl at a frat party.

And thanks for asking a question and then going ahead and answering it for us. In fact I do look think poorly of the Blackhawks organization for their mishandling of this situation. It's obvious this idiot has a drinking and anger management problem, and the team doesn't seemed to be bothered to lift a finger about it. If this was one of the Canucks' boys, they'd have been traded, or reprimanded a long time ago. These kind of prima-donna s*it disturbers are exactly what a locker-room and organization doesn't need, at any time.

And you don't have a clue if you don't think hockey teams don't have control over their players in the off-season. There are plenty of contracts out there that specifically bar players from certain off-season activities for risk of injury, There are also stipulations for personal conduct in some cases. Let alone, training requirements for some players, and so on. The off-season for most of the NHL players is 'work'.

Those that don't come to camp ready nowadays aren't given much slack.

And FFS, being drunk in public IS illegal....which is what he was, let alone choking someone. There's absolutely no denying that. So, now do you have a problem with it?? Or are you going to downplay the seriousness of the illegal act, in order to justify why you still don't have a problem with this moron's behaviour?

The rest is just nonsense....since neither Richards nor Carter had as much of an impact in securing the Cup as Quick, Brown, the defence, the style of play, or even LA's 4th line for their part.

What you're missing, TR, is that the cabbie incident IS relevant in that it's still fresh in people's minds and is now developing into a pattern of irresponsible, drunken behavior. Most who have just been through something fairly serious like that normally tend to be on their best behavior for awhile as there is some shame and embarrassment attached. This recent stuff, whether it be exaggerated, fabricated, etc. doesn't do much in the way of fading things out here. And whether this stuff's embellished or not, he's the one putting himself in these situations.

Your last statement: "you need to get away from it for awhile" is kind of ridiculous in my view. Get away from playing a game you love for millions of dollars? Most of us would love to be in that position...perhaps, if you said he was serving in the Middle East I could support this statement. Please - give me a break. Poor Pattie.

If your only concern is "on ice performance" then, again, you have to look beyond that to the fact that these guys are role models for every kid growing up with dreams of the NHL. PK's been afforded the luxury of playing in the NHL...yes, it comes through talent and hard work but there's a responsibility in that. He's not doing himself any favours at the moment and will be scrutinized as long as he continues to get obliterated while he's in the public's view. Any logical person would understand that "hey, maybe I should cool it for awhile".

Here's the deal - sure, people like to drink and have a good time but if, at the end of the night, you've been accused of beating cab drivers, choking girls, berating people, etc. you probably need to assess that and do things a little differently. Or, lay low and out of view so the attention is drawn away from you.

Sure, there's a bias against PK but he makes it easy. And that's the point in all of this....

There's already clear bias against Kane in the first place because he's lit this team up more than once and made Luongo look stupid. He looks like a douche apparently with his stupid hair cut and he probably is one too. At least according to CDC. People hate him for that. It's expected. That's where a boat load of this hate is coming from.

My take on it is that he is embarrassed that his actions are being talked about negatively by his boss and the league. When you are paid millions of dollars to play a game, based on the ability of your image to sell tickets and gear with your name on it, then your image is very very intrinsic to the amount of money you are paid.

He is embarrassed because his revenue is tied to image which is tied to the concept that he may have issues with alcohol abuse which comes right round and causes his image to worth less than it was before these photos came out.

There, did i say that simply enough for the drunken yahoos to get it? It is like my idiot neighbor here who has drunken arguments not very often, but often enough that he is not liked by anyone on the block. He isn't hurting anyone by raising his voice when he is loaded, but his image is tarnished, and frankly we want him to move. Now imagine we were paying him 5 million a year....yeah.

Sounds like you have a water tight case there Shapiro.

Before I posted I tried to find any new info regarding the incident but all that came up was numerous eye witness accounts of him choking a girl, getting thrown out of a party, and yelling anti-Semetic remarks. Do you have any info to the contrary?

A lot of people on here saying that he shouldn't be embarrassed by his actions but the bottom line is that he is embarrassed by his actions.

Kane is 23 years old not 16. He feels embarrassed because he probably should be. He is an adult and he does a job where he should be a professional. Might suck for him but he gets well compensated to represent a team. I digress...

Good to see him making the decision to grow up.a bit and "cool it". There's always got to be a time where the party stops and we grow up. Good for him.

For starters, you're completely wrong about Richards and Carter. Richards played a pivotal part in the Kings line up. Denying that ruins hockey credibility. The addition of Carter boasted their offense from almost dead last in the league to averaging well over 3 goals a game for the final two months. This put the Kings in the top three of NHL scoring for that period of time and they maintained that consistency all the way to game 6 where they pummeled the Devils. Oh, gee, yeah, that second to last offense in the NHL went from 2.29 goals a game to 2.85 in the playoffs no thanks to Richards or Carter :rolleyes:

There's already clear bias against Kane in the first place because he's lit this team up more than once and made Luongo look stupid. He looks like a douche apparently with his stupid hair cut and he probably is one too. At least according to CDC. People hate him for that. It's expected. That's where a boat load of this hate is coming from.

Yes, that specific incident is irrelevant. There's a big difference between being drunk and beating someone while you're drunk. And that's all he was here. He was drunk. That's it. There's nothing wrong with that. What, we're going to keep breaking his balls over an incident that occurred two years ago? I heard that he was drunk at some frat party but I never heard specifically what he did. Then again it's a FRAT party. It's a bunch of intoxicated college kids with music and commotion. There's always three sides to the story: theirs, yours and the truth. You're delusional if you don't think there is embellishment or flat out lying. I'll take what they say with a grain of salt given the environment. "Fortunately for him, the other party in the quarrel was being equally as abusive to the cops. It turned into much more of a "everyone just get out of here" thing instead of anything more substantial." Sounds like the cops were doing their job as well, eh?

Like the link says. Take what a bunch of liquored up college kids say with a grain of salt: http://chicago.sbnat...-mayo-wisconsin

There's no real report of this because the whole thing is a joke.

Perhaps he ought to be sat down and told to get his sh1t together or face team discipline because he clearly has a drinking problem; can't pace himself when he is drinking. I didn't see how bad it was at first because I didn't pay much attention to it. But most players can control themselves and that's completely fine. Just like Richards and Carter, they have grown up enough and it evidently does not affect their on ice performance.

Yeah, stipulations like no extreme sports. Nothing that is going to cause bodily harm or the potential to. I think most players don't need to be told to not do that in the first place. The Canucks probably have something like no riding motorcycles. Maybe not, I'm just speculating here. But players for the most part are entirely free. It's the off season for a reason; you need to get away from it all for a while.

Well, it aint like you've got a rock-solid case either, my friend. You have a rumor from a tabloid, and thats all. Its not like you've got statements from a prosecutor, a defense lawyer, or the police to back up the rumor. There isnt even a statement from a "victim".

Ah, but like you said in an earlier post....whether the story is true or not is irrelevent.

The only problems I see are that it seems he's a dick when he's drunk (but he might be one sober as well) and he's embarrassing his employer.

There is not enough evidence to suggest that he has a drinking problem, just that he likes to party hard.

I don't see what the big deal is if it doesn't affect his performance on the ice. Young people party, sometimes you get blackout wasted. C'est la vie.

Unfortunately, a lot of guys look up to Kane are high-school kids.

"This guy is such a beauty"

"Sick mullet"

"Filthy mitts"

"This guy has swaaag"

"Unreal danglez!"

"Party animal"

A lot of young guys playing hockey think PK is the absolute bomb.

And I know one guy will come in and be like "I don't look up to him!1!11!!!" but I'm sorry, you don't represent all high-school kids..

Whether or not he did it was irrelevant to my point in that particular post. He puts himself in these positions and if he continues he will become the type of locker room distraction no team wants.

That being said, where there's smoke there's usually fire. In Kane's case there is a lot of friggin smoke and the Blackhawks are left to put out the flames. Funny, you don't hear of this kind of thing from anyone else in the NHL especially from high profile players. The stories I read didn't come from a tabloid, they came from eye witness reports, tweets, and photos, and none of them refute the accusations. All signs point to douche for this one.

pavelec, khabi, and bryzgalov and some others have had DUI's. I personally would rather have a player walking around drunk at a party, then driving a car while drunk.

Dany Heatley, you recall that one? Kevin Stevens smoking crack with a hooker? Fluery, Probert, and the other substance abuse incidents involving players over the years. Didnt Kovalev get in trouble for banging a 14 year old? Tocchet, Janet, and that gambling thing they had going on.

Im sure you can find many more less-than-admirable incidents involving hockey players.....incidents that are far worse than being drunk at a frat party.

Im not saying you should like Kane, but lets not act like he's guilty of committing the most heinous incidents the sport has seen. Could he be much more mature? Undoubtedly!!! So could 90% of other 23 year olds.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was thinking more along the terms of multiple recordings of public displays of intoxication combined with multiple assaults, alleged or not. You know, like someone just being a douche and causing a scene everywhere they go with occassions bouts of violence. With todays technology and social media you'd think it would be more prevalent, especially with all those menacing 23 year olds running around.

Archived