The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

OK, well, we're currently worse on paper than we were last year, Kesler's going to miss the first 20 - 25% of the season, and we've got our two best players who could be far less effective going forward as they were in the last three years.

In other words, we won't win a Cup, Sedin's will retire, and it's back to "any team that gets into the playoffs, has a chance to win" type of environment for the Canucks, with, really, no future in sight.

I, for one, would like to see the Sedin's raise a Cup, and Gillis should be doing ALL that he can to try and make that happen between now and the final 2 years of their deal. Dumping Salo, acquiring Garrison, and holding $10M worth of goaltenders isn't going to make that happen. NOW is the time for Mike Gillis to make "a few bold moves". NOW.

And we offered Ehrhoff basically that deal, the same as what Bieksa was getting. You expect to not have to overpay a player already with your team where you know you might have to in order to attract a free agent to your team. Ehrhoff didn't accept and took another one of those long term deals that aren't looking as much like a good idea now.

Care to make a list of all the long term deals out there that have been obvious wins for the teams involved?

And as far as Rome being controlled and steady, his late hit on Horton that was a major turning point in the SCF might disagree. Even beyond that, you got what you paid for with his minimal salary, which was hardly any offence in any year of his NHL career. Doubling his previous career totals for goals doesn't count when he'd only had 2 up until that point. Or are you suggesting Rome will then get a bunch more goals like Garrison did this year after his 4 goal season and then be due for a raise the season after? Nice try though.

Garrison has at least had one year of an offensive breakout while having multiple years of top shutdown/defensive play - that's what has elevated him above a 6/7/8 D-man like Rome, and elevated his price tag as a result.

LOL. So you're telling me that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren just sort of put it out there that he would like to sign Weber to a 14 year, $110 million contract and that's all it took? Weber didn't sign anything? All it takes is for a GM to put it out there they want to sign this RFA or that RFA and suddenly that player is theirs unless the player's current team matches?

The answer is no. The player has to actually, you know, SIGN the offer sheet, meaning he has to have had discussions with the team that made the offer.

Wow.

And we offered Ehrhoff basically that deal, the same as what Bieksa was getting. You expect to not have to overpay a player already with your team where you know you might have to in order to attract a free agent to your team. Ehrhoff didn't accept and took another one of those long term deals that aren't looking as much like a good idea now.

Care to make a list of all the long term deals out there that have been obvious wins for the teams involved?

I can't understand how people are not happy with this signing? He is only now starting to reach his OFFENSIVE POTENTIAL all the while coming into his prime years. All this upside for 4.6 per. What happens if he breaks out even further? That 4.6 looks like a steal then, much the same as the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa, type of contracts.

Your guess is probably wrong. The media don't completely make things up, regardless of what guys with an agenda (like Mike Gillis, who reportedly spoke of how there was NEVER any rift between Hodgson and the Canucks, until he was actually traded) might tell you.

Willes is far more connected than you or I are, and he wouldn't have a job if he was just making things up. That's why Eklund is an entrepreneur and not a sports journalist.

You're right that he's younger, but are you aware that Jason Garrison is 28 years old himself? Not exactly a spring chicken, and pretty late in the dance for this "breakout" (33 point) season of his.

Salo's loss will be painfully evident pretty quickly, IMO. He's MUCH better than what many are giving him credit for.

Refresh my memory - did Anaheim trade Giguere, or Niedermayer? Does Boston want to get rid of Thomas, or Chara?

Do you have any idea of the risks involved with that? What if Weber accepted his QO, then had a career-ending knee injury next year? Guess what Nashville's then on the hook for? $0! And Weber can then go start applying for jobs at pulp mills in Sicamous. If that kind of money is offered to you, you sign it. For all we know, Gillis could've offered less, and Weber probably would've also signed. The point is that Holmgrem offered him SOMETHING, while Gillis did not. So, of course, given the stakes, he's going to sign it.

source wikipedia

an offer sheet is a contract offered to a restricted free agent by a team other than the one for which he played during the prior season. If the player signs the offer sheet, his current team has seven days to match the contract offer and keep the player or else he goes to the team that gave the offer sheet, with compensation going to his first team.

Haha, then how did Philly get their offer sheet to Weber for him to sign? I guess Holmgren just made it into a paper airplane or tied it to a balloon and just floated it on the wind in the direction of Sicamous, eh?

It amazes me how some people think the world wouldn't still revolve unless Superman got out there every once and awhile and gave it a push.

I've seen the tweets as well, and since everything is fact if it's on twitter, it must be true and not just opinion like some have suggested the Willis tweets are.

/sarcasm

Canucks Considered Offer Sheet to Shea Weber

It amazes me that people will ignore or argue against something that would take 2 minutes to look up on google.

I never said it'd hurt the Canucks to offer sheet Weber, but it won't help them if:

1. Weber won't sign it.

2. The Preds will match it.

All that ends up happening out of a failed offer sheet is the other team doesn't like you as much or could even offer sheet one of your players in retaliation. Nashville has to reach the cap floor, so maybe they offer sheet Lack to a deal where we get very little compensation yet it's not ideal to match financially. Philly did that to us with Kesler, and look how much it improved our standing with them.

Garrison played a top four role the past two seasons and was a rookie before than. I can't understand how people are not happy with this signing? He is only now starting to reach his OFFENSIVE POTENTIAL all the while coming into his prime years. All this upside for 4.6 per. What happens if he breaks out even further? That 4.6 looks like a steal then, much the same as the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa, type of contracts.

How do you guys think the Canucks would have been able to absorb the cap hit for Weber? And what about the lack of scoring you always complain about. How would that be addressed after adding Weber's $7.8M + cap hit? What about Luongo, that goalie most of you hate and want gone? How would he have any leverage with Luongo after bringing in Weber's cap hit?

Some of you need to use your brains.

Ah, but he could regress and only have 3 goals next year cause he only played with Brian Campbell in his breakout year.

/sarcasm - again

He'll likely play with Edler, and maybe the Sedins on the PP, which will help the offensive output much like playing, but I do think he'll regress slightly. That might have been a high for him, but even if he drops to 20 points, he'd still be one of our top 3 defensive guys, probably only second to Hamhuis.

Not quite half of Weber's cap hit for less than half of the term to get comparable defence and I'd say half or more of the offensive output? I'm all for it.

Archived