The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

If you read that thread you'll see that the discussion is about whether the canucks have the cash to spend.

Clearly they do.

The cap is another issue.

The last contract included a 24% clawback of player salaries. I expect something similar this time.

We have excess contracts we could lose if it meant getting one of the top D in the league.

We could trade Ballard and Lu for nothing but futures and lose over 9 mil per yr.

Exactly. "Mortgaging the future" presupposes that this team has or could possibly have a future. Picking near the bottom of the first, second, third round etc.--as well as trading away all of its top prospects--has left this team dead in a few years. Gillis' motive should be to make this team as good as he possibly can right now. But with his complete lack of action, both the present and the future of this team are screwed.

Ya...because Weber was the only way the Canucks could have won the cup. You should stop watching if you really thought the Canucks where going to land Weber and he was the only hope in your mind for the Canucks to win the Cup.

First of all, Webber is greedy...he would not be a true canuck. Seriously 100 mill no man is worth that... simply put if he wanted to play here he would be here but as I see it Greediness always shows its true colors... Weber has shown his and so did Schultz as far as I am concerned good teams are built on character and they dont have any...

Next

Difficult to understand what you're saying here.

If you don't believe that we have the ability to pay Web's contract I'm not going to argue it. You can believe what you want.

Cap space is a different matter.

Trade ballard and Lu to clear 9 mil in cap space which is enough to cover Web's reportedly 7.5 mil cap hit and pay a backup goalie.

Pretty easly to understand you are saying it easy for the canucks to have the cap space when they do not have it without trading and no team is going to take Luo's cap without the Canucks taking cap back.

I'm saying it not easy, it may be easy for you to say it easy but it far from it. They still have to make major changes to fit his cap hit it not worth it when there are other holes to fill and with Weber here it makes that much harder to fill those holes. Weber is a dream but also a nightmare in team future depth. Everyone talks about " now is the time" but if weber gets hurt which is a huge possiblity with his ice time and style of play, than the canucks are in big trouble.

I'm simple saying it not easy not that we cant.

His cap hit would put Van in the situation of having to give up a Edler, booth, ballard, Burrows.. ect anyways. So no I not going to give up Elder mybe Burrows + 4 first rounds draft picks for Weber. Especial when Edler is not that far behind Weber in talent and play.

Archived