The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

Sounds like another anti-Gillis rant from our typically overly-zealous local media, designed to whip us all into a frenzy.

Okay, so we all want to see our team get better and maybe have a chance at winning the Stanley Cup. But, at what cost? Does Ed Willes really believe that getting suckered into another horrendous long term contract is the way to go?

Besides, the real issue with this team is not on the "D". It's getting our forward lines to put the puck in the net.

To me Ed Willes will always be one of the traitors who lost us the Finals two years ago. There is a time for constructive criticism, there's even a time for non-constructive criticism. It is not when you are in the Cup Finals, then it becomes treason. Boston's media supported their team even when it was unreasonable and even ludicrous to claim that they were the good guys playing good old-fashioned hockey and we were the devil. Our media trashed and submarined our own team right when they most needed support. I will never ever forget how that happened, they sold out the team at the worst possible time and sabotaged the Cup run, maybe it wasn't determinative - but it was not helpful.

Local media should be supportive of the team, if their personal animosity for people in the organization makes that impossible then they should go somewhere where people are of like mind - I mentioned the Star - go have a grand old Canucks-bashing party with Damien Cox and friends, there are already more than enough people in this city who claim to support the Canucks but spend most of their time talking about how terrible our players/coaches/management/decisions are, as if we'd finished out of the playoffs instead of being more successful than ever in franchise history.

There's so much hate for the Canucks out there, we don't need it from our own media and fans too, it's time to circle the wagons and demonstrate solidarity with this team, not fall apart all over the place about acquisitions anyone with half a brain can see will never happen.

This is why I really hope NSH does NOT match; it'd be hilarious to see Gilman try and dance around this one.

BZ: Lawrence, in light of the Flyers landing Shea Weber, do you think that it may have been an idea to throw an offer sheet his way?

LG: Um, well, er, we're really happy that we were able to land Jason Garrison, he, er, was who we had targeted all along, and, um, we just think that, uh, he'll be great moving forward...

Schultz wasn't going to get the minutes he was after and in his shoes, I might just want to play with all of the talent in Oiltown for a few years; they're going to be scary.

Garrison should be a good replacement for ol' Sammy but... How has it been going for the last 2 or 3 guys he got from Florida?

Oh yeah, Booth, Bitz and Ballard, how's that going guys? Disappointed?? Yeah, me too.

Granted MG didn't lose in the Booth trade, he's just not what I hoped he was.

Why are we crying about Weber? It's nothing to do with whether or not we got Weber it is everything to do with not getting alternatives we CAN afford and CAN feel comfortable with. We are not even doing that in any certain or inspiring way.

MG seems to me to be creating too many conditions on his signings and ending up either not getting anything, anything useful or gambling on future payback.

This might not be too disturbing except that the criteria that matters........what does this team need? .............gets lost in a mist of too expensive, wrong type of character, does it fit in with AV's style of game etc. We are NOT addressing our problems. We don't need to spend mega bucks to do that either.

Moreover the more success we have in the league, the more it is devalued and draft wise it continually hurts us.

I think it is time AV and MG started to back themselves. By that I mean ............and this will upset a lot of fans on here........start to make our team more evolutionary. MG needs to trade valuable pieces for pieces that will make us better.

This is hard for me to say because I have been as guilty as any on here when it comes to parting with our players. However there comes a time when you have to ask if this style of hockey and GM'ng is going to get us that Stanley Cup.

I think we could have avoided what I'm proposing if MG had gone out and acquired the 2/3 pieces we needed right after the Finals, but he didn't and now we look, despite our PT repeat, like a team who has been rumbled.

We still have a long period of pre season to go and much can happen in that time. We also need to see how our injured players come back. Nevertheless I see this season as very much a last chance saloon and if we don't start hitting the marks and altering our style to one that gets respect then I am of the opinion that the team needs overhauled.

Why are we crying about Weber? It's nothing to do with whether or not we got Weber it is everything to do with not getting alternatives we CAN afford and CAN feel comfortable with. We are not even doing that in any certain or inspiring way.

MG seems to me to be creating too many conditions on his signings and ending up either not getting anything, anything useful or gambling on future payback.

This might not be too disturbing except that the criteria that matters........what does this team need? .............gets lost in a mist of too expensive, wrong type of character, does it fit in with AV's style of game etc. We are NOT addressing our problems. We don't need to spend mega bucks to do that either.

Moreover the more success we have in the league, the more it is devalued and draft wise it continually hurts us.

I think it is time AV and MG started to back themselves. By that I mean ............and this will upset a lot of fans on here........start to make our team more evolutionary. MG needs to trade valuable pieces for pieces that will make us better.

This is hard for me to say because I have been as guilty as any on here when it comes to parting with our players. However there comes a time when you have to ask if this style of hockey and GM'ng is going to get us that Stanley Cup.

I think we could have avoided what I'm proposing if MG had gone out and acquired the 2/3 pieces we needed right after the Finals, but he didn't and now we look, despite our PT repeat, like a team who has been rumbled.

We still have a long period of pre season to go and much can happen in that time. We also need to see how our injured players come back. Nevertheless I see this season as very much a last chance saloon and if we don't start hitting the marks and altering our style to one that gets respect then I am of the opinion that the team needs overhauled.

Maybe I need to get out more, but I've never heard of this guy.

Ed Willes has recently tweeted out some pretty direct messages about Mike Gillis regarding the whole Shea Weber ordeal. I apologize if this has been posted already, but these tweets are pretty strong and worthy of discussion. For the record, I think it's great when a local reporter has a strong opinion like this, and ISN'T AFRAID to share it.

Here are the 3 tweets:

The Canucks have already lost out on Justin Schultz. If they lose Shea Weber it's a massive body blow to the Gillis regime.

Weber is a BC boy. There have been multiple reports that he wanted to play for the Canucks. This is a player Gillis had to sign.

Sorry, Jason Garrison doesn't cut it. Ownership wanted Weber badly. This is a major story in the Canucks' world. Believe it.

With emphasis on the 3rd tweet, this is pretty powerful, direct stuff from a local guy who's been around forever. Note, though, that I don't think Willes has EVER been a fan of Gillis, nor even this ownership, to be frank. He was always a STRONG Dave Nonis supporter, and I do recall a few articles written by him when Nonis was fired, digging into the Aquilini's' business, questioning their character even, and similarly doing the same to Gillis.

Anyway, very interesting to see a direct calling-out by a media member. And for the record, I'm in full agreement with Mr. Willes.

1.) Do you still "think it's great when a local reporter has a strong opinion like this, and ISN'T AFRAID to share it" if the opinion being expressed is one with which you do not agree? Would you have bothered to make this thread if these tweets were all sympathetic, complimentary and congratulatory of Gillis' efforts?

Looks like somebody is overrating just how 'strong' tweets can be.

Ed Willes tweets something.

Most of us: 'Yawn.'

You: 'OMG THAT WAS STRONG!' lol

Justin Schultz isn't the basis of this thread, right? Hmm... Seems to be a lot of blabbering about him still. Here's the thing: Edmonton could use him FAR more than we could. You cannot make an argument otherwise. The reason Edmonton was a lottery team was because of their defense. That being said, if we had gotten Schultz, that's great. But he's not the basis of this thread. Pffft.

Again, the case of Weber coming here now doesn't really exist. If Nashville didn't match any western conference rival's sheet, then Detroit would be first in line, not us. (Hello, Lidstrom replacement?) If they don't match Philly's, well at least he's in the east. That's the sell in Nashville anyway. Again, crying a river about this franchise is pretty ridiculous when you look at what's happening in Nashville.

The Canucks explored ways to acquire Weber. They could not. However, the odds of this dream coming true were always very slim. Ed Willes, you, and anyone else trying to drum up drama about that are just singing their same old sad tune. 'Whaaaaaaaaah!'

Justin Schultz isn't the basis of this thread, right? Hmm... Seems to be a lot of blabbering about him still. Here's the thing: Edmonton could use him FAR more than we could. You cannot make an argument otherwise. The reason Edmonton was a lottery team was because of their defense. That being said, if we had gotten Schultz, that's great. But he's not the basis of this thread. Pffft.

Again, the case of Weber coming here now doesn't really exist. If Nashville didn't match any western conference rival's sheet, then Detroit would be first in line, not us. (Hello, Lidstrom replacement?) If they don't match Philly's, well at least he's in the east. That's the sell in Nashville anyway. Again, crying a river about this franchise is pretty ridiculous when you look at what's happening in Nashville.

Looks like somebody is overrating just how 'strong' tweets can be.

Ed Willes tweets something.

Most of us: 'Yawn.'

You: 'OMG THAT WAS STRONG!' lol

The Canucks explored ways to acquire Weber. They could not. However, the odds of this dream coming true were always very slim. Ed Willes, you, and anyone else trying to drum up drama about that are just singing their same old sad tune. 'Whaaaaaaaaah!'

Sounds like you don't care about anything but your own crybaby agenda and you have no capacity for actual debate.

'I don't care about that. This is about GILLIS failing!'

As if the Canucks' will to do things is the only factor to consider.

I recommend you take a step back and breathe. Ed Willes has clearly done his job and has stirred you up. Good job, Ed Willes? Go back to tweeting about Meatloaf?

Sounds like you don't care about anything but your own crybaby agenda and you have no capacity for actual debate.

'I don't care about that. This is about GILLIS failing!'

As if the Canucks' will to do things is the only factor to consider.

I recommend you take a step back and breathe. Ed Willes has clearly done his job and has stirred you up. Good job, Ed Willes? Go back to tweeting about Meatloaf?

Archived