Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of the ES

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

your sig pic says it all... i picture your face being like that too... again hardcore canuck fan nothing wrong with the post so quit picking on the op.....and grow up

@King and PrimeMinister

Didn't matter if an offer-sheet was presented or not. Shea Weber had the right to dictate where he wanted to go. He could have just waited for Vancouver to negotiate something the Preds if he wanted to be a Canuck. He didn't have to sign but he did anyway.

If you're okay with MG throwing around stupid sums of money for one, albeit, great player, that's you. But what does it show to the organization besides showing that management has big balls and wants to push for the cup? Absolutely nothing, in fact I'd argue it sends a bit of a bad message to the rest of our team. It tells the Sedins that they're no longer the top players anymore, it tells Luongo that he's a big screw-up and that management didn't make a mistake when they gave him 12 years, and it tells the rest of the defence that the supposed cap of 4.6 mil per is broken by more than half of that.

Weber is a fantastic player and I was bummed we didn't get him. But we can't blame MG for not offering Weber anything that he was willing to offer as Nashville would have matched.

'Yeah, why didn't we, y'know, just sign (insert player name here)? Because it's 100% up to the Canucks if they do or do not, y'know...'

Countless times on CDC has this been argued. You'd think people would figure it out by now. But that's not the point. The point is complaining. Afterall, what else is there to do at the moment?

'Yeah, why didn't we, y'know, just sign (insert player name here)? Because it's 100% up to the Canucks if they do or do not, y'know...'

Countless times on CDC has this been argued. You'd think people would figure it out by now. But that's not the point. The point is complaining. Afterall, what else is there to do at the moment?

@King and PrimeMinister

Didn't matter if an offer-sheet was presented or not. Shea Weber had the right to dictate where he wanted to go. He could have just waited for Vancouver to negotiate something the Preds if he wanted to be a Canuck. He didn't have to sign but he did anyway.

"And if they matched, they matched. Who cares? What's the cost to Vancouver? ZERO! "

Okay so let's say MG presented a 10 year, 80 million dollar deal. Bonuses are whatever the hell you want and he's being paid 8 mil per, highest paid defender("market-value") Weber signs it and Nashville matches it. Is it still a matter of who cares? Is it still MG's fault? You're upset because we didn't get Weber and that MG should have made a serious pitch and offer but you know as well as I do that MG wasn't willing to offer Weber what Philly did. So why argue?

II apologize if this isn't you but aren't you the same fellow that said the future isn't bright? Explain to me how 4 picks within the first 3 rounds of the draft(4 1sts or two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd) to give up in an offer-sheet is a smart thing to do? Don't give me BS (oh, our window to win is now). I'm talking long-term.

Don't give me Shea Weber's only 27. You don't know for sure if he's going to be the same guy in 5 or 6 years.

Just playing devil's advocate with you, don't need to get all upset there.

At least my and King of the ES's responses have some substance, and a common point. You can't come up with a single sensible reason to do what you advocate, which is blindly support the inaction and terrible decisions made the management of this failing franchise. Like I said, a Maple Leaf at heart is really what you seem to be.

"And if they matched, they matched. Who cares? What's the cost to Vancouver? ZERO! "

Okay so let's say MG presented a 10 year, 80 million dollar deal. Bonuses are whatever the hell you want and he's being paid 8 mil per, highest paid defender("market-value") Weber signs it and Nashville matches it. Is it still a matter of who cares? Is it still MG's fault? You're upset because we didn't get Weber and that MG should have made a serious pitch and offer but you know as well as I do that MG wasn't willing to offer Weber what Philly did. So why argue?

I think the canucks have drafted very well Since Kesler, with the exception of Patrick White who is still a mystery to me.

I don't think so, no. A signed deal is a signed deal - that would've been a valid attempt.

How is that BS?!? Our window IS to win now, if it's even still open anymore. This franchise should have ONE thing in mind, and that's winning its 1st Stanley Cup. We've got 2, maybe 3 elite players on our team, a good-enough D, and excellent goaltending.

This is what I don't understand about some of you - DO YOU EVEN CARE TO WIN A CUP? Serious question. The Sedin's won't be the Sedin's for much longer, and then we're probably in for a long, painful rebuild. To answer your question, no, I would not care AT ALL about losing 4 1st round picks. For perspective, let's look at our 1st round picks between 2000 - 2010:

2000: Nathan Smith (Bust)

2001: RJ Umberger (Not bad, never played here)

2003: Ryan Kesler (Really not overly useful to this team until 2007)

2004: Cory Schneider (Really not overly useful to this team until 2010)

2005: Luc Bourdon

2006: Michael Grabner (Not useful to us until 2010, where he played good but was subsequently traded)

2007: Pat White (Bust)

2008: Cody Hodgson (Not useful until 2011, traded)

2009: Jordan Schroeder (Hasn't made the NHL)

So out of 9 picks between 2000 - 2010, only 2 are currently prominent members of our team, and it took them 4 and 6 years to really become key contributors. Point? There's usually a pretty big time lag with 1st round picks, and we don't have the luxury of time. Weber's deal could've looked like a ripoff after year 3, if it would've gotten us a Cup in year 2, for all I care. This city/franchise needs a Cup, in the very worst way. Nothing else should matter. And if they don't get one before the Sedin's retire, get ready for a looooooooooooong rest between the next trip to the SCF.

I agree. We DO need a cup. But MG's philosophy has never been about trading futures and hoping to win a cup. It's clear he's trying to build a team that can contend for a long time.

But MG's philosophy has never been about trading futures and hoping to win a cup. It's clear he's trying to build a team that can contend for a long time.

BTW - is that really MG's philosophy, or does that sound like somebody else's, namely one David Nonis'?

Nonis made perhaps the best move in this franchise's history, by not succumbing to the public pressure and choosing instead to hang onto Kesler & Edler rather than send them to Dallas for Brad Richards. Nonis didn't make that move because AT THE TIME, we had nobody besides Luongo who was elite, and even with Richards, we weren't a serious contender.

Contrast that with THIS team, who does have the Sedin's, does have Kesler, does have Schneider/Luongo, and really ALL that we're lacking is a guy like Shea Weber. THIS would've been the "bold move" that Mike Gillis emphasized in his opening press conference. This would've been PERFECT. But he FAILED.

Shea Weber isn't the only guy he failed to get. He also failed to get every other RFA available as well.

Also, the Canucks aren't the only team to fail at getting Shea Weber. 29 teams will fail to get him. Just as 29 teams failed to get Justin Schultz.

Wow, that's a lot of failure there. So i guess that's a lot of opportunity to cry about failure.

I like this notion that the Canucks get to control all aspects in getting whatever players they want. That would be very nice. However, it's plainly obvious that they are not able to control all aspects in getting whatever players they want. It is an unfortunate reality worthy of writing about with some emotion. Strong emotion.

Why does everybody think weber is going to be in philli, Nasvile will match the contract. If I were GM and weber didnt want to play for my team I would simply match the contract and trade him to a team other then philli.

I don't think so, no. A signed deal is a signed deal - that would've been a valid attempt.

How is that BS?!? Our window IS to win now, if it's even still open anymore. This franchise should have ONE thing in mind, and that's winning its 1st Stanley Cup. We've got 2, maybe 3 elite players on our team, a good-enough D, and excellent goaltending.

This is what I don't understand about some of you - DO YOU EVEN CARE TO WIN A CUP? Serious question. The Sedin's won't be the Sedin's for much longer, and then we're probably in for a long, painful rebuild. To answer your question, no, I would not care AT ALL about losing 4 1st round picks. For perspective, let's look at our 1st round picks between 2000 - 2010:

2000: Nathan Smith (Bust)

2001: RJ Umberger (Not bad, never played here)

2003: Ryan Kesler (Really not overly useful to this team until 2007)

2004: Cory Schneider (Really not overly useful to this team until 2010)

2005: Luc Bourdon

2006: Michael Grabner (Not useful to us until 2010, where he played good but was subsequently traded)

2007: Pat White (Bust)

2008: Cody Hodgson (Not useful until 2011, traded)

2009: Jordan Schroeder (Hasn't made the NHL)

So out of 9 picks between 2000 - 2010, only 2 are currently prominent members of our team, and it took them 4 and 6 years to really become key contributors. Point? There's usually a pretty big time lag with 1st round picks, and we don't have the luxury of time. Weber's deal could've looked like a ripoff after year 3, if it would've gotten us a Cup in year 2, for all I care. This city/franchise needs a Cup, in the very worst way. Nothing else should matter. And if they don't get one before the Sedin's retire, get ready for a looooooooooooong rest between the next trip to the SCF.

To me, these tweets are an example of how some people seem to think we should be able to get any player we want while being COMPLETELY ignorant about the circumstances of other teams. That guy can whine and complain all he wants, but there are 29 other teams in this league.

Everything about Weber having to come here has been about pure speculation and what the fans want. Are we just going to use up all our cap on a few players and have a bad team outside of those few players or are we wanting an actual good team?

If everyone thought realistically, those tweets would not exist.