The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

WHAT?

How much have you seen Garrison play? To call him a "massive upgrade" on Salo is downright stupid. Salo is going to be missed, very much. He's one of those guys that does practically everything right. Unheralded. He'll be missed, and Garrison will falter. I have high confidence in this. Time will dictate.

Can people here honestly say that they would not have been thrilled if MG had done the bold move that Holmgren did. He offered $10 million a year to Sundin- I know it was 2 years but Sundin was WAYYYYY beyond his prime. Anyways, I see lots of people here say, it was a smart move by MG to take a pass on Weber- are you being honest here?? Listen MG is having a hard time trading Luongo because of his long long contract people say, well Holmgren flipped Richards and Carter for very good returns. the bottom line is, it takes bold moves to make changes- look at Minny, bold. Not all bold moves pay off of course but to say that a 'bold move' could bite you in the ass for years is not true. If Weber doesn't work out in Philly he will be moved. If you want to take the safe way out then the upside is limited. look at LA. The safe move for MG was to let Willie walk. LA took a chance- how did that work out for them? You still prefer Ballard?

it doesnt matter if this guy is legit source or not, the canucks as an organization really screwed the pooch on this one....

GROW A PAIR AND MAKE A BOLD MOVE FOR GOD SAKES!!! 4 late first rounders for an all-world defenseman!??!!?!?!? WHERE DO I SIGN!?!?!?!?

gillis's patience really screwed him, the franchise and the fans big time on this one

I think you've chosen to miss his point and justify this garbage article by naming 3 teams out of 30.

It doesn't matter where a player wants to play and it certainly doesn't matter what reports say about where a player wants to play it all comes down to $$$$$. If Gillis signed shultz to the money he got you'd have me on your anti-gillis agenda of rage tour.

You do know that the money Schultz got was the same that any team could offer him right? Money was not an issue, his deal is an entry level deal, so everybody was offering the same contract. No one was offering any more or less, it came down to a personal decision n Schultz chose Edmonton due to the playing time he would get there.

And as for Gillis, I think he is over-rated by CDC and is incompetent to make any "bold" moves. The guy is so full of himself. If CDC takes its blinders off, they will realize that MG was a scumbag agent who no current GM wants to deal with except maybe Dale Tallon. Gillis is not a very good talent evaluater, just look at his draft history. Not one single gillis' pick playing for the Canucks. The one guy who was good enough, (hodgdon) he traded him away for a lesser player

When a Player dictates how much time he needs/wants to be played it wouldn't be worth it to have him on this team. Schultz is where he can play because the Oilers have no D. We have D and Schultz would never have been a number 1 or 2 and probably not even a 3 or 4 defenseman. He wants to play and at least he and his agent made that critical for teams to know just that.

WE fortunately or not (depends on how you look at it) are not PHILLY. We made one big splash to get a goalie signed for long term and look how that turned out. Never any GM here would have made that kind of an offer for WEBER no matter how much he would have wanted to play here. Nashville has a very good goalie and last year they had both Weber and Suter and they still didn't get anywhere too deep. It would have been nice to get him but we all know that we are never going to be PHILLY. End of subject. SEEMS like PHILLY can sign long term contracts and has no problem getting rid of players they don't want. That raises one question - what is wrong with us? Louongo should have been "long gone".

Jason Garrison signed for 6 years and its for 4.6 million not 8 million. Also Webers term ends in the next century, so once he declines in 6-7 years, what will happen for the next 7 years? Would the team buyout his 7 years left on his contract? I don't think Aquilini likes to waste his money by buying multiple players contracts and pay them out every year. He is a businessman after all, and in business if you screw up and take huge risks that might not payout in future and harm the organization, you are fired.

The NHL is a business, people need to understand that there are 30 teams in the league and sometimes it's not what the player desires but instead the landscape of the offers that pushes a player to choose. I mean sure a newspaper reporter may have inside info on what ownership wants but at the end of the day it's up to the player and agent to take the best deal possible. Sure Canucks owners may want weber but it's not about the short term success of the franchise but instead the long term. Next summer

Possible big paydays

1. Burrows ufa - double to 4 mil per season if signed early, if he goes to market then 5-5.5 mil

2. Edler. Rfa- 4.6- 5 mil mil based on wideman,carle,Paul Martin, zbynik michlak contracts

Signing one guy to 7.5 mil + will just kill what has already became a solid team.

it doesnt matter if this guy is legit source or not, the canucks as an organization really screwed the pooch on this one....

GROW A PAIR AND MAKE A BOLD MOVE FOR GOD SAKES!!! 4 late first rounders for an all-world defenseman!??!!?!?!? WHERE DO I SIGN!?!?!?!?

gillis's patience really screwed him, the franchise and the fans big time on this one

Thanks for the business lesson...

Weber's contract declines SHARPLY at the 10th year, meaning that he probably (wink-wink, nudge-nudge) plans on retiring in 2022, at the age of 37. But honestly, with the way that guys today keep up with their fitness, is it really that unreasonable to think that a guy like Shea Weber could play until he's 41? And even with a sharp decline, he'd still be very attractive in trade to low-budget teams (ie - Nashville), who are more concerned with actual cash (and not cap) savings.

First of all, how do people know that Garrison won't cut it? He's had an emergent season in his own right, so why be so quick to brush him off? The description of "BC boy, wanting to sign with the Canucks, whom Gillis had to sign" matches with Jason as well! Let him prove himself first before becoming all sour over "what could've been for excessive prices"

Secondly, I agree with all of the below:

We were never going to get Weber. There are too many other teams with more cap room to sign him to a giant offer sheet, and Nashville has room to match any offer we could have made. It was unlikely he was going to sign a 1 year deal this offseason.

Signing Garrison was the smart move by Gillis. It's the safe move instead of going for Weber, and a massive upgrade on Salo. Our defence is stronger now than it was at the end of last season.

First of all, how do people know that Garrison won't cut it? He's had an emergent season in his own right, so why be so quick to brush him off? The description of "BC boy, wanting to sign with the Canucks, whom Gillis had to sign" matches with Jason as well! Let him prove himself first before becoming all sour over "what could've been for excessive prices"

Secondly, I agree with all of the below:

Give MG a break! He patched up an area of weakness (2nd pairing defense) with one of the top-rated Corsi defenders in Garrison; now if he gets Shane Doan (we're definitely in the mix for that) and hopefully a 3rd line center (still pining for Colin Wilson or Arnott) we'll be golden. At least that's 1/3 of the holes in the team patched up (plus who knows what our traded goalie will bring in return?)

Garrisons contract is market value.

Gillis also for sure could have sent on offer sheet to Weber but I wouldn't fracking want that contract even if it is Weber.

I never said anything about being able to afford anything. Stop making so many assumption...they make you come off even worse than just an agenda driven guy. MG chose not to send an offer sheet to Weber and Holms did...if in your eyes that makes Holms a better GM that's fine...your logic would be incorrect but it's your prerogative.

honestly that's a huge offer sheet that of be nervous about. if it does get accepted Philly gives up their future for 1 player. I know that player is Weber but would your trade Logan couture, cam Fowler, Jordan eberle and evander Kane for him? because thats what you can turn 4 first rounds draft picks into.

Archived