The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

This thread was as amusing as a car wreck.  And the post-event denial is as sad as a car wreck aftermath.

Thank you, Ed Willes, for entertaining us with your three unsubstantiated, flawed and seemingly worthless tweets that someone decided to run with and massively blow out of proportion.

I'M USING CAPITAL LETTERS NOW.  LOOK AT ME!

Good job.

Gillis' assessment of Preds response to offer sheet proven correct; Willes looks the part of a tool. Ownership wants... blah, blah. What I want... blah, blah. Meanwhile out in the real world...

Why permanently fracture relations with a club for chance at something doomed to fail? Wouldn't even want Webber for any of 14 million per one season or the everlasting front loaded stuff. That's $ best spent elsewhere. D is not this team's problem. Hasn't been one for years. Even so we're now, on paper at least, better defensively, more physical and considerably younger. Now if Garrison does for Edler half of what Hamhuis did for Bieaksa we're laughing.

Upgrading the forward ranks is where it is at.

No, it was impatience that kept things off the rafters.

- trading away Neely, an act of impatience

- trading away Linden, an act of impatience

All of the big splashes that were made in the past via Burke, via Quinn, none of that got us the cup.

The past 5 years we have had the best team we have ever had. We used patience.

This thread was as amusing as a car wreck. And the post-event denial is as sad as a car wreck aftermath.

Thank you, Ed Willes, for entertaining us with your three unsubstantiated, flawed and seemingly worthless tweets that someone decided to run with and massively blow out of proportion.

I'M USING CAPITAL LETTERS NOW. LOOK AT ME!

Good job.

No, it was impatience that kept things off the rafters.

- trading away Neely, an act of impatience

- trading away Linden, an act of impatience

All of the big splashes that were made in the past via Burke, via Quinn, none of that got us the cup.

The past 5 years we have had the best team we have ever had. We used patience.

team1040 had kevin epp on this morning (agent for shea weber) and he said the canucks made an impressive bid and gillis did a fine job but Philadelphia was a better fit for them (read 110 million reasons).

said weber was impressed with the new innovative steps gillis has taken with the organization to help players in all facets of life/hockey.

Someone has already pointed out that trading Linden was maybe the best move that this franchise ever made. That Bertuzzi guy had a pretty good run here, and McCabe wasn't bad, either.

Brian Burke did not make a big splash when he was our GM. He traded Bure, because he had to, and that trade (landing Jovo, specifically) played a big role in turning this franchise around. I don't blame him as much as I blame Gillis now, because Burke was operating in a non-cap environment, where the $CAD was worth $0.60 USD, and we could not compete with the likes of New York, Detroit, and Colorado. All lights have essentially been green since Gillis' arrival, and really his biggest score (Sundin) was landed within months of him taking the job.

team1040 had kevin epp on this morning (agent for shea weber) and he said the canucks made an impressive bid and gillis did a fine job but Philadelphia was a better fit for them (read 110 million reasons).

said weber was impressed with the new innovative steps gillis has taken with the organization to help players in all facets of life/hockey.

What don't I get?

Nashville matched, and they now get to keep him. Good for them. Philly had a chance, just like NYR had a chance with Joe Sakic.  

And yes, I'm aware that in Mike Gillis' delusional world, he was expecting Shea Weber to risk tens of millions of dollars and only sign a 1-year offer sheet, to then become a UFA in 2013 and sign with the Canucks. Something tells me that if Mike was Shea's agent, he wouldn't have tried to sell him on the same idea.

This thread was as amusing as a car wreck.  And the post-event denial is as sad as a car wreck aftermath.

I'M USING CAPITAL LETTERS NOW.  LOOK AT ME!

Good job.

What's your point?

This place would've gone CRAZY with praise for Gillis had it have been him that signed Weber. And this whole time, you blind homers have been saying oh, well, we never really wanted him anyway, Alex Edler is just as good.

And for all of the Ed Willes bashing, I'll still trust his takes infinitely more than yours. If Weber really did want to be here, and if ownership really wanted him here, and everyone had been targeting him for as long as Willes suggests, there are OTHER WAYS to bring him here. Trading is allowed in the NHL. Heck, Gillis thought nothing of giving up a king's ransom for Keith Ballard, why couldn't he have tried the same for Shea Weber? We don't know that he didn't, true, but we also don't know that he did. He may have just ASSUMED that Nashville isn't interested in trading him (even though they WERE trying to orchestrate a trade before Philly's offer sheet, per numerous reports). For all we know, the Preds could've been one of the teams that were very high on Cody Hodgson, and were SHOCKED when it was announced that he was traded to Buffalo.

The fact that some of you are calling this a "success", for Mike Gillis, is utterly laughable. Success would've been landing Shea Weber, either through sign or trade. Success is not conserving your energy by not sending out an offer sheet out of a thought that it'd be matched.

What's your point?

This place would've gone CRAZY with praise for Gillis had it have been him that signed Weber. And this whole time, you blind homers have been saying oh, well, we never really wanted him anyway, Alex Edler is just as good.

And for all of the Ed Willes bashing, I'll still trust his takes infinitely more than yours. If Weber really did want to be here, and if ownership really wanted him here, and everyone had been targeting him for as long as Willes suggests, there are OTHER WAYS to bring him here. Trading is allowed in the NHL. Heck, Gillis thought nothing of giving up a king's ransom for Keith Ballard, why couldn't he have tried the same for Shea Weber? We don't know that he didn't, true, but we also don't know that he did. He may have just ASSUMED that Nashville isn't interested in trading him (even though they WERE trying to orchestrate a trade before Philly's offer sheet, per numerous reports). For all we know, the Preds could've been one of the teams that were very high on Cody Hodgson, and were SHOCKED when it was announced that he was traded to Buffalo.

The fact that some of you are calling this a "success", for Mike Gillis, is utterly laughable. Success would've been landing Shea Weber, either through sign or trade. Success is not conserving your energy by not sending out an offer sheet out of a thought that it'd be matched.

A few things:1)Who cares if a bunch of cheerleaders would have gone crazy about signing Weber to an offer sheet? The intelligent posters would have countered with the opinion that Nashville was just going to match anyway. (and yes, by "intelligent", I mean the posters who have been arguing with you and BfPM this entire thread)

What's your point?

Archived