The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

I get the feeling Gillis is a little bit cocky and feels certain things should just fall into his hands instead of putting himself out there and doing the dirty work to get things done. I know he said he wants to make bold moves, but since his first years he has somewhat strayed away from that. You need to take risks in this business and i feel like Gillis hasn't done that much recently. If in fact Weber did want to be a Canuck....Gillis should have done whatever he could to make that happen.

it doesnt matter if this guy is legit source or not, the canucks as an organization really screwed the pooch on this one....

GROW A PAIR AND MAKE A BOLD MOVE FOR GOD SAKES!!! 4 late first rounders for an all-world defenseman!??!!?!?!? WHERE DO I SIGN!?!?!?!?

gillis's patience really screwed him, the franchise and the fans big time on this one

I get the feeling Gillis is a little bit cocky and feels certain things should just fall into his hands instead of putting himself out there and doing the dirty work to get things done. I know he said he wants to make bold moves, but since his first years he has somewhat strayed away from that. You need to take risks in this business and i feel like Gillis hasn't done that much recently. If in fact Weber did want to be a Canuck....Gillis should have done whatever he could to make that happen.

Yeah, just like Luongo's contract but why aren't teams trading for him smart guy? Does it have to do with the term? Isn't Luongo more attractive to "low-budget" teams too (like FLA) since we paid most of his cap already? Yeah, maybe go ask FLA why they don't want to trade for Luongo.

And NHL is a business, whether you like it or not, owners want to make money not lose money over 15 years of owning a team. Maybe in your fantasy NHL world there is no such a thing as business and everyone gets a cookie and a pat on the back.

Yeah, just like Luongo's contract but why aren't teams trading for him smart guy? Does it have to do with the term? Isn't Luongo more attractive to "low-budget" teams too (like FLA) since we paid most of his cap already? Yeah, maybe go ask FLA why they don't want to trade for Luongo.

honestly that's a huge offer sheet that of be nervous about. if it does get accepted Philly gives up their future for 1 player. I know that player is Weber but would your trade Logan couture, cam Fowler, Jordan eberle and evander Kane for him? because thats what you can turn 4 first rounds draft picks into.

The thing is...had Gillis not signed Garrison in all likely-hood this OP would have been railing about how Gillis missed the boat on him as well. The agenda with K of ES and Nucknit etc etc etc is painfully obvious. No move or non-move by Gillis is a good move. Everything Gillis does is bad to them.

BECAUSE HE'S 33 YEARS OLD AND HAS A REPUTATION AS A PLAYOFF CHOKER!

Does that answer your question? He is SIX years older than Shea Weber, and when the whole world was watching, he FOLDED in the playoffs against both Chicago (multiple occasions) and Boston (in the SCF). That's mostly why people are hesitant to acquire him, compounded by the fact that the goaltender just doesn't consistently impact the game as much as the 1A defenseman does. The difference (statistically) between the best and worst goalies in the league is 1 or 2 goals over 100 shots. The difference between having Shea Weber and Marc-Andre Gragnani in your lineup, however...

Wrong. I like the Mason Raymond signing. Good value. He'll have a better year than David Booth will, you watch.

You, conversely, are a completely biased homer. Aren't you the guy that still likes the Keith Ballard trade? :D

Honestly, having a player like Weber til' he's 40 wouldn't be such a bad thing. This guy is probably going to be the next year in year out Norris trophy defenseman. Sure people will rip on him if his play starts declining, like people have ripped on Luongo for reasons that may or may not be justifiable.

I for one see nothing wrong with Luongo and if it weren't for Schneider would see him as still a very good #1 goalie and at a very manageable cap hit. I'd feel the same way about Weber, his world class talent we would be watching through the prime of his career would allow many people to look past his cap hit and term (a cap hit at 7.5 which isn't bad AT ALL for a Norris trophy D-man).

I for one would be thrilled to have Weber locked up as a Canuck for the rest of his career, as i was and still would be (if it weren't for Schneider) about Luongo being locked up for his career. Many Canuck fans are just really impatient and don't tolerate failures.

BECAUSE HE'S 33 YEARS OLD AND HAS A REPUTATION AS A PLAYOFF CHOKER!

Does that answer your question? He is SIX years older than Shea Weber, and when the whole world was watching, he FOLDED in the playoffs against both Chicago (multiple occasions) and Boston (in the SCF). That's mostly why people are hesitant to acquire him, compounded by the fact that the goaltender just doesn't consistently impact the game as much as the 1A defenseman does. The difference (statistically) between the best and worst goalies in the league is 1 or 2 goals over 100 shots. The difference between having Shea Weber and Marc-Andre Gragnani in your lineup, however...

There was no possible way the Canucks would have been able to sign Weber to an offer sheet that would have fit within their current salary structure. Anything offer sheet they could have offered, Nashville would have easily matched and therefore killing any possibility for the Canucks to get Weber for the duration. So they didn't. Why? Because they didn't want to handcuff themselves. Their options were to:

1) hope he re-signs a 1yr with Nashville then try to get him as a UFA

2) trade

As much as I wanted Weber, there was no way that this contract is a good one for any team. A $7.5M cap hit for a 37,38,39,40 year old? You would dedicate 10%+ of your overall team cap to one player who by then is on the major decline?

Even though they hope he has a Chris Pronger-type career, they have a greater risk of a Wade Redden as the years go by.

There was no possible way the Canucks would have been able to sign Weber to an offer sheet that would have fit within their current salary structure. Anything offer sheet they could have offered, Nashville would have easily matched and therefore killing any possibility for the Canucks to get Weber for the duration. So they didn't. Why? Because they didn't want to handcuff themselves. Their options were to:

2) trade

As much as I wanted Weber, there was no way that this contract is a good one for any team. A $7.5M cap hit for a 37,38,39,40 year old? You would dedicate 10%+ of your overall team cap to one player who by then is on the major decline?

Even though they hope he has a Chris Pronger-type career, they have a greater risk of a Wade Redden as the years go by.

2) trade

So what happens if we sign Weber for 7.5 million for 14 years and 4 years down the road he gets clipped at the knees and can't skate very well anymore or maybe concussions that will make his play decline. A contract like that is a gamble (Luongo). So if Weber decides to sign here, it will be on the Canucks terms which probably isn't anything like the offer he got from the Flyers. So the decision will lie on Shea Weber whether he wants to take a discount to play here.

I think I could see a 6 year contract as Garrison was signed for. Weber making 7 mil. Possibly... one can hope.

Archived