The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

I give little weight to the media in Vancouver. Willis is a paper boy with an opinion just like the rest of us. He doesn't have a shred of a clue what goes on behind the scenes. He has no clue what the Canucks did do to get these players.

Willis needs to remember that these players have their own plan and past the Canucks offer it's out of the team's hands.

Willis is like Botchford, he's a news paper hack.

Haha, then how did Philly get their offer sheet to Weber for him to sign? I guess Holmgren just made it into a paper airplane or tied it to a balloon and just floated it on the wind in the direction of Sicamous, eh?

It amazes me how some people think the world wouldn't still revolve unless Superman got out there every once and awhile and gave it a push.

I've seen the tweets as well, and since everything is fact if it's on twitter, it must be true and not just opinion like some have suggested the Willis tweets are.

/sarcasm

Canucks Considered Offer Sheet to Shea Weber

It amazes me that people will ignore or argue against something that would take 2 minutes to look up on google.

I never said it'd hurt the Canucks to offer sheet Weber, but it won't help them if:

1. Weber won't sign it.

2. The Preds will match it.

All that ends up happening out of a failed offer sheet is the other team doesn't like you as much or could even offer sheet one of your players in retaliation. Nashville has to reach the cap floor, so maybe they offer sheet Lack to a deal where we get very little compensation yet it's not ideal to match financially. Philly did that to us with Kesler, and look how much it improved our standing with them.

How do you guys think the Canucks would have been able to absorb the cap hit for Weber? And what about the lack of scoring you always complain about. How would that be addressed after adding Weber's $7.8M + cap hit? What about Luongo, that goalie most of you hate and want gone? How would he have any leverage with Luongo after bringing in Weber's cap hit?

Some of you need to use your brains.

We were never going to get Weber. There are too many other teams with more cap room to sign him to a giant offer sheet, and Nashville has room to match any offer we could have made. It was unlikely he was going to sign a 1 year deal this offseason.

Signing Garrison was the smart move by Gillis. It's the safe move instead of going for Weber, and a massive upgrade on Salo. Our defence is stronger now than it was at the end of last season.

A pretty good hockey player once said, "You miss one-hundred percent of the shots you don't take." And that quote perfectly applies to this situation. Gillis sould've at the very least threw his hat into the ring, despite his assumption that Nashville would've matched Vancouver's offer. He could've front-loaded the s*** out of the contract in order to force a scramble by Nashville to ensure that they could actually get the money together needed to retain Weber for the upcoming season.

Most of the people defending Gillis on this topic are taking the same attitude that he does in all of his decision-making, which is that you're never wrong and should be immune from criticism. Everyone, including Gilman and Gillis, need to admit that they may have made a huge mistake in their reasoning on deciding what to do about Weber. If you want a player of his calibre on the team, you've got to put in a lot of effort to get him--something that this organization completely failed to do.

Garrison played a top four role the past two seasons and was a rookie before than. I can't understand how people are not happy with this signing? He is only now starting to reach his OFFENSIVE POTENTIAL all the while coming into his prime years. All this upside for 4.6 per. What happens if he breaks out even further? That 4.6 looks like a steal then, much the same as the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa, type of contracts.

they aren't allowed to talk to him it would be a violation of NHL Bylaw 15 and offer sheets are delivered to the agent. They probably could have talked to him and no one will be fined unless Nashville's gm decides too and ruins his relationship with 5 gm's. Plus the NHL Bylaw 15 was violated in the Schultz situation and Anaheim decided to do nothing about it so no team was fined.

How about Keith Ballard? Wasn't he a top 4 defenseman in Flordia? Look how well that experiement has turned out. I'm very wary of players acquired from Florida mainly because their division sucks and all their players' production significantly falls after departing to a new team. Another reason why is because I feel our scouting is among the worst in the league.

A pretty good hockey player once said, "You miss one-hundred percent of the shots you don't take." And that quote perfectly applies to this situation. Gillis sould've at the very least threw his hat into the ring, despite his assumption that Nashville would've matched Vancouver's offer. He could've front-loaded the s*** out of the contract in order to force a scramble by Nashville to ensure that they could actually get the money together needed to retain Weber for the upcoming season.

Most of the people defending Gillis on this topic are taking the same attitude that he does in all of his decision-making, which is that you're never wrong and should be immune from criticism. Everyone, including Gilman and Gillis, need to admit that they may have made a huge mistake in their reasoning on deciding what to do about Weber. If you want a player of his calibre on the team, you've got to put in a lot of effort to get him--something that this organization completely failed to do.

it doesnt matter if this guy is legit source or not, the canucks as an organization really screwed the pooch on this one....

GROW A PAIR AND MAKE A BOLD MOVE FOR GOD SAKES!!! 4 late first rounders for an all-world defenseman!??!!?!?!? WHERE DO I SIGN!?!?!?!?

gillis's patience really screwed him, the franchise and the fans big time on this one

Of course MG inquired about Weber. There's no way Nashville would let him get poached as an RFA by a rival team in the same conference though, especially considering they just lost Suter. No chance in hell, so blaming MG for not getting him via this method is ridiculous. I seriously doubt they'll even let him go to Philly without matching.

Elvis quoted an article which stated that Weber's agent said on the radio that he and his client visited six different cities to talk to teams regarding offers. A restricted free agent is STILL a free agent. There's just a different rule that applies to RFA's that their current team reserves the right to match whatever offer other teams make to that particular player.

Elvis quoted an article which stated that Weber's agent said on the radio that he and his client visited six different cities to talk to teams regarding offers. A restricted free agent is STILL a free agent. There's just a different rule that applies to RFA's that their current team reserves the right to match whatever offer other teams make to that particular player.

Archived