Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
548 replies to this topic

#541 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,631 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

No. The "intelligent" cheerleaders would've just raved about how Gillis is so amazing to have even tried. That it's a showing that he's willing to try whatever it takes. Because that's really all this was, by Philadelphia: an attempt.

Not likely. The intelligent fans aren't the cheerleaders. They call out the team when they make a mistake. They also don't "rave" about trying something that didn't work out, especially when everyone except you, Ed Willes and Paul Holmgren knew it wasn't going to work.

Gillis has FAR more to lose by being honest than the media guys do. Ed Willes' job is to bring us information, Mike Gillis' job is to conceal it.

You're right, Willes should be bringing us "information", not blind conjecture which has been corroborated by absolutely no-one.

I don't want to get into a multiple-page debate about this, again, but if you think what we gave up for Keith Ballard was not material, and if you don't think that Mike Gillis made a costly error on that transaction, Jesus H. Christ, you have no hope.

No hope? I'd say there's no hope for someone who doesn't know the difference between "material" and "a King's ransom".

Well, if that's the case, then I guess it's a start. "Giant disaster" is a little extreme, but I am disappointed that he didn't even make an attempt. I think Philly probably was a lot closer than what many here seem to believe, but that's all speculation (as is your stance of the "automatic" matching). I don't see this team going in the right direction. Things could change in the off-season, but there's not a whole lot of time left. It's August next week. This team has NOT been improved, and this is a critical year.

Yes, you're right. The sky is falling. Better take cover....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#542 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Weber jumped at signing this offer, because it was too good financially to pass up. But you are assuming that an offer like this was assured.

Had Philly not made this offer, and the CBA suddenly been wrapped up and signed within the next couple weeks, including a provision limiting term-length and insanely low salary years to balance the cap hit, then Weber wouldn't have been able to get this kind of stupid contract from anyone. So at that point, financial motivations would be levelled out, and motivations to go where he wanted and try to win would hold more power.

That scenario was how to get Weber out of Nashville. All Philly did was ensure that he was unavailable, stuck in Nashville, and insanely rich. That's ALL they accomplished here.

This post is nonsense.

You have no idea why Weber signed the deal with the flyers. Stop suggesting you do somehow.

Who are you to suggest professional GMs of NHL clubs who spend upwards of 100 mil bucks a year on salary are 'stupid' You have no clue what goes into decisions like these. Stop pretending you do.

Polie indicated the ownership group would match any offer, and they did. So your post is completely ignorant to issues way over your head that you have no access to.
Posted Image

#543 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

This post is nonsense.

You have no idea why Weber signed the deal with the flyers. Stop suggesting you do somehow.

Who are you to suggest professional GMs of NHL clubs who spend upwards of 100 mil bucks a year on salary are 'stupid' You have no clue what goes into decisions like these. Stop pretending you do.

Polie indicated the ownership group would match any offer, and they did. So your post is completely ignorant to issues way over your head that you have no access to.

Obviously he liked the team, city and offer.
Posted Image

#544 chugmaster41

chugmaster41

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Mike Gillis said he didn't send an offer to Weber because Nashville would have matched anything. and he was right! It's not Gillis fault we didn't get Shea Weber.

#545 chugmaster41

chugmaster41

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

What's your point?

This place would've gone CRAZY with praise for Gillis had it have been him that signed Weber. And this whole time, you blind homers have been saying oh, well, we never really wanted him anyway, Alex Edler is just as good.

And for all of the Ed Willes bashing, I'll still trust his takes infinitely more than yours. If Weber really did want to be here, and if ownership really wanted him here, and everyone had been targeting him for as long as Willes suggests, there are OTHER WAYS to bring him here. Trading is allowed in the NHL. Heck, Gillis thought nothing of giving up a king's ransom for Keith Ballard, why couldn't he have tried the same for Shea Weber? We don't know that he didn't, true, but we also don't know that he did. He may have just ASSUMED that Nashville isn't interested in trading him (even though they WERE trying to orchestrate a trade before Philly's offer sheet, per numerous reports). For all we know, the Preds could've been one of the teams that were very high on Cody Hodgson, and were SHOCKED when it was announced that he was traded to Buffalo.

The fact that some of you are calling this a "success", for Mike Gillis, is utterly laughable. Success would've been landing Shea Weber, either through sign or trade. Success is not conserving your energy by not sending out an offer sheet out of a thought that it'd be matched.

No team was going to get Weber except Nashville! Figure it out!

Edited by chugmaster41, 25 July 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#546 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

This post is nonsense.

Shea got an offer to be the highest paid professional hockey player in the NHL. With the new CBA coming in, he likely wouldn't get the chance for this contract's length, size, and signing bonuses ever again.

It's not "inside information" or something. Anyone who says that they have no clue why he signed it - let alone calling out other people for suggesting they do - has their head up their arse.
Posted Image

#547 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

What's your point?

This place would've gone CRAZY with praise for Gillis had it have been him that signed Weber. And this whole time, you blind homers have been saying oh, well, we never really wanted him anyway, Alex Edler is just as good.

And for all of the Ed Willes bashing, I'll still trust his takes infinitely more than yours. If Weber really did want to be here, and if ownership really wanted him here, and everyone had been targeting him for as long as Willes suggests, there are OTHER WAYS to bring him here. Trading is allowed in the NHL. Heck, Gillis thought nothing of giving up a king's ransom for Keith Ballard, why couldn't he have tried the same for Shea Weber? We don't know that he didn't, true, but we also don't know that he did. He may have just ASSUMED that Nashville isn't interested in trading him (even though they WERE trying to orchestrate a trade before Philly's offer sheet, per numerous reports). For all we know, the Preds could've been one of the teams that were very high on Cody Hodgson, and were SHOCKED when it was announced that he was traded to Buffalo.

The fact that some of you are calling this a "success", for Mike Gillis, is utterly laughable. Success would've been landing Shea Weber, either through sign or trade. Success is not conserving your energy by not sending out an offer sheet out of a thought that it'd be matched.

As I mentioned, those same people that went crazy praising Gillis for putting up a huge offer sheet would be the same people that went crazy blaming Gillis when they realized the result of Nashville matching meant our chances of getting him just went in the toilet.

"Oh, but at least he tried," isn't a good enough answer when the attempt would have been based on bad information. Do you know who else tried with bad info? Remember when Bush invaded Iraq? At least he tried, right? Certainly no downside to trying there...

You can trust whoever you want, that doesn't make them trustworthy. I trust Gillis more than I trust Willes, but that doesn't mean I blindly do so, or that I ignore everything Willes says thinking it all must be crap. If I operated that way, I would have ignored you long ago since I haven't heard many intelligent points from you, at least ones that operate in the real world based on facts we know.

Here are some facts: the players we gave up for Ballard were not likely to be in our roster that coming season.
- Grabner was behind the rest of our top 6 players and had done poorly in two training camps previous, one more and we would have lost him to waivers for nothing.
- Bernier was ok but hadn't panned out as the top 6 guy we wanted him to be.
- The low 1st rounder certainly wasn't likely to be an instant NHLer.

Neither player could stick with Florida and were put on waivers, and Howden hasn't cracked their lineup two years later and still isn't going to this year. If the Preds don't hang up when we offer anything similar to that for Weber, it's only because they want us to hear them laughing before they tell us to call back when Kesler, Edler or more are available.

As has been said already, no one is calling this a success for Gillis. He made the right call considering we know what the outcome was, but we still lost Weber because Philly had other ideas. Certainly no one in Philly is claiming success (that was such a successful offer sheet Holmgren!), and even in Nashville they might be happy they still have Weber, but I'd hardly think they're throwing a party since they're pinching pennies a little more now.

After all your points have been shut down, and Nashville matched just as Gillis predicted they would, you still are trying to claim success of your own - or at least be able to say we're wrong. You've resorted to trying completely different arguments to point out just how badly we've cocked up this whole thing, believing in Gillis and all. You're grasping at any lifeline you can think of to prove your original point, and your so busy doing so you haven't noticed we're standing up in the ankle deep water you thought was the ocean.

Well, enjoy drowning in that 3 inches of water if you feel so adamant that you need to go down with the sinking ship that is this thread.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#548 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

Oh lawd.

We still yapping back and forth about this?
Posted Image

#549 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

Now that Nashville has matched it turns out Weber never really was available. The circumstances of the CBA etc. meant he had to get his deal done this summer. The only way he was moving on would have been to get to next summer and he couldn't afford to let that happen.

I don't think Gillis is reading the landscape as well as he used to and all this stuff about discounts to play etc. drive me crazy but it's time to ease up on him for not landing a player that was impossible to land!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.