The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

Tell me this, if the Canucks did end up signing Weber to a similar offer sheet, Weber puts the Canucks completely over the top, he goes on to play a pivotal role for the team and the Canucks end up winning 1 or 2 cups in the next 10 years....Would you then look back and regret the Canucks signing Weber when he is age 40 with a 7.5 M cap hit?

Sure they can still get him as a UFA or trade but that chance has gone down considerably, and very doubtful now.

To me, the REAL loser of this off-season has been Ken Holland.

No Lidstrom.

No Stuart.

No Suter.

No Garrison.

No Carle.

And now no Weber either.

All he has is Kyle freakin' Quincey and a bunch of rooks.

That being said, shouldn't the better goal of any franchise be to not sign the next Shea Weber to a bazillion-dollar contract, but to have the inner-workings to draft and develop the next Shea Weber so you have him for his pre-bazillion-dollar years (and entire career) instead?

(Here's hoping K-Con grows a few pounds and a lumberjack beard.)

Nashville drafted Suter AND Weber the same year. They also picked up a ton of other star d-men through the draft. Forget buying Weber. Let's buy Nashville's defensive scouting and development program instead.

Jason Garrison signed for 6 years and its for 4.6 million not 8 million. Also Webers term ends in the next century, so once he declines in 6-7 years, what will happen for the next 7 years? Would the team buyout his 7 years left on his contract? I don't think Aquilini likes to waste his money by buying multiple players contracts and pay them out every year. He is a businessman after all, and in business if you screw up and take huge risks that might not payout in future and harm the organization, you are fired.

it doesnt matter if this guy is legit source or not, the canucks as an organization really screwed the pooch on this one....

GROW A PAIR AND MAKE A BOLD MOVE FOR GOD SAKES!!! 4 late first rounders for an all-world defenseman!??!!?!?!? WHERE DO I SIGN!?!?!?!?

gillis's patience really screwed him, the franchise and the fans big time on this one

So what happens if we sign Weber for 7.5 million for 14 years and 4 years down the road he gets clipped at the knees and can't skate very well anymore or maybe concussions that will make his play decline. A contract like that is a gamble (Luongo). So if Weber decides to sign here, it will be on the Canucks terms which probably isn't anything like the offer he got from the Flyers. So the decision will lie on Shea Weber whether he wants to take a discount to play here.

I think I could see a 6 year contract as Garrison was signed for. Weber making 7 mil. Possibly... one can hope.

Only time will tell if Phillies moves will pan out and bring home a cup. They didnt win last year, they might not win this year with or without Weber. They could be just like us, great team, but no cup. There is a reason why a team hasnt repeat in many years, the cup is very tough to win, and a crapshoot to win some times, you get lucky or you dont. after this year i guarantee we will see tonnes of people on CDC saying "i told you so" or "i always supported garrison" etc etc. hindsight is always 20/20 only barely anyone admits it on these forums.

For one, there is a reason why Garrison makes 4.6M and Weber makes roughly 8M, just like there is a reason why Kesler makes 5M and Crosby or Malkin who make $8.7M each. Second, Weber is going to decline in 6-7 years? ya ok there buddy good luck with that assumption, so when he turns what 32 and 33 he's going to decline? And then have to pay out the rest of his contract at the age of 33 HAHAHAHA. Since you obviously don't know the player your talking about, Weber is the next Scott Stevens of hockey, and you probably don't know Scott Stevens unfortunately, he was one for the most dominate defensemen off all time and a major threat to anyone who crossed that blue line. Weber is the real deal and if you were going to blow some money and a long contract on a player in the NHL, this is the guy you want to make that bold move for, because you will not be disappointed, he will be a threat until he reaches the age of 40.

Only time will tell if Phillies moves will pan out and bring home a cup. They didnt win last year, they might not win this year with or without Weber. They could be just like us, great team, but no cup. There is a reason why a team hasnt repeat in many years, the cup is very tough to win, and a crapshoot to win some times, you get lucky or you dont. after this year i guarantee we will see tonnes of people on CDC saying "i told you so" or "i always supported garrison" etc etc. hindsight is always 20/20 only barely anyone admits it on these forums.

What if Weber becomes the next Redden or what if we still can't win a damn cup with Weber? What would you do then? run him out of town like Bobby Lu? Remember how Luongo was the savior of this team, proclaimed best goaltender in the league and one that already had been nominated for a Vezina? What happened to that? Am sure if we sign Weber and he doesn't achieve your lofty goals, you would still stand by this signing an praise him just like all the bandwagonners here.

And what if the Predator match?? What do you do then? Because I bet the Predators match this offer then subsequently trade him to another team while giving the middle finger to the Flyers. Now if the Preds did match the offer and traded him to Vancouver instead of Philly, would Gillis have really screwed the pooch then? Yeah, I guess Gillis is not as shortsighted as Holmgren. Bryzgalov's 10 year 7 million/yr contract says hi

The only problem with this is how MG would free up the almost $5 million in cap space required to sign Weber. Yes, if you replace Ballard with Weber you're almost there but you either

a) get almost nothing back for Ballard as other teams know you have to dump the contract, or

B) bury him in the minors (but would ownership be okay with that?)

You could argue that MG should have signed Weber to an offer sheet BEFORE signing Garrison but that's a huge risk as well. MG would run the risk of Garrison signing elsewhere and Nashville matching and our team would be worse off then they are now.

Take Garrison off the roster and you have the following defense:

Bieksa Hamhuis

Ballard Edler

Tanev Alberts

I'm okay with MG playing it safe on this one. Plus, we still have some cap room for Doan / another UFA.

I like Weber, he would've looked great in a Canucks uniform. I'm from Salmon Arm which is next to his home town of Sicamous. Having said that, the offer sheet was ridiculous and I'm very glad Mike Gillis didn't submit that. A ridiculously long contract and 4 (yes, late) first rounders. That's just crazy. You would have messed up the Canucks future for a long time. There are lots of "late" first rounders that have become solid NHLers. The price was way too high and the contract way too long. I don't blame Weber for signing that offer sheet. Who wouldn't? It's the best thing for him and his family.

Answer me this, if the Canucks did end up signing Weber to a similar offer sheet, Weber puts the Canucks completely over the top, he goes on to play a pivotal role for the team and the Canucks end up winning 1 or 2 cups in the next 10 years....Would you then look back and regret the Canucks signing Weber when he is age 40 with a 7.5 M cap hit?

BINGO.

To be taken seriously, this franchise needs a STANLEY CUP, not to be "competitive every year" (read: mediocre). The Sedin's will be elite for 1 - 3 more years. If we give Weber a 14-year deal, and we win a SINGLE Stanley Cup, it is worth it, IMO. It'd be like the Nieuwendyk/Iginla trade; people love to talk about how badly Calgary fleeced Dallas, but Nieuwendyk put Dallas over the top and played a big part in them winning a Cup shortly thereafter.

Does anybody think that we're closer to a Cup as it stands now for the 2012-13 season than last year?

I agree, these long term contracts are brutal. Is it any wonder why Burke dislikes them so much? You sign a player for 15 years, you would lose flexibility in maybe signing him cheaper down the road, you lose leverage in a trade (Luongo says hi), you will lose on better players that might be able to replace him and so on and so forth.

Archived