The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

WHAT?

How much have you seen Garrison play? To call him a "massive upgrade" on Salo is downright stupid. Salo is going to be missed, very much. He's one of those guys that does practically everything right. Unheralded. He'll be missed, and Garrison will falter. I have high confidence in this. Time will dictate.

I've never bought this argument, either.

He can "want" whatever he wants, but if he stinks, he won't be able to hide it, and he'll be in the press box or sent down.

I think that maybe the real reason that he signed with Edmonton is that they expressed more of a desire to have him! Tambellini arranged for phone calls from Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, brought Hall & RNH to the table...Gillis brought Alain Vigneault. It says something, doesn't it? No different than a college recruiting mission, really, where there's a definite art to it. Gillis may well have just got outperformed.

Ed Willes has recently tweeted out some pretty direct messages about Mike Gillis regarding the whole Shea Weber ordeal. I apologize if this has been posted already, but these tweets are pretty strong and worthy of discussion. For the record, I think it's great when a local reporter has a strong opinion like this, and ISN'T AFRAID to share it.

Here are the 3 tweets:

The Canucks have already lost out on Justin Schultz. If they lose Shea Weber it's a massive body blow to the Gillis regime.

Weber is a BC boy. There have been multiple reports that he wanted to play for the Canucks. This is a player Gillis had to sign.

Sorry, Jason Garrison doesn't cut it. Ownership wanted Weber badly. This is a major story in the Canucks' world. Believe it.

With emphasis on the 3rd tweet, this is pretty powerful, direct stuff from a local guy who's been around forever. Note, though, that I don't think Willes has EVER been a fan of Gillis, nor even this ownership, to be frank. He was always a STRONG Dave Nonis supporter, and I do recall a few articles written by him when Nonis was fired, digging into the Aquilini's' business, questioning their character even, and similarly doing the same to Gillis.

Anyway, very interesting to see a direct calling-out by a media member. And for the record, I'm in full agreement with Mr. Willes.

Jason Garrison signed for 6 years and its for 4.6 million not 8 million. Also Webers term ends in the next century, so once he declines in 6-7 years, what will happen for the next 7 years? Would the team buyout his 7 years left on his contract? I don't think Aquilini likes to waste his money by buying multiple players contracts and pay them out every year. He is a businessman after all, and in business if you screw up and take huge risks that might not payout in future and harm the organization, you are fired.

You have all these facts that are based off your own opinions and other peoples thoughts and analysis's. You're argument is fueled solely on your own personal frustration, your own arrogance and self righteousness. I understand you're frustration.... It would have been amazing to have landed a player like Weber. it didn't happen, move on and don't let this ruin your summer. Try and be a little more open minded and listen to what everyone else is saying instead of considering there points invalid.

Jason Garrison signed for 6 years and its for 4.6 million not 8 million. Also Webers term ends in the next century, so once he declines in 6-7 years, what will happen for the next 7 years? Would the team buyout his 7 years left on his contract? I don't think Aquilini likes to waste his money by buying multiple players contracts and pay them out every year. He is a businessman after all, and in business if you screw up and take huge risks that might not payout in future and harm the organization, you are fired.

You do know that the money Schultz got was the same that any team could offer him right? Money was not an issue, his deal is an entry level deal, so everybody was offering the same contract. No one was offering any more or less, it came down to a personal decision n Schultz chose Edmonton due to the playing time he would get there.

And as for Gillis, I think he is over-rated by CDC and is incompetent to make any "bold" moves. The guy is so full of himself. If CDC takes its blinders off, they will realize that MG was a scumbag agent who no current GM wants to deal with except maybe Dale Tallon. Gillis is not a very good talent evaluater, just look at his draft history. Not one single gillis' pick playing for the Canucks. The one guy who was good enough, (hodgdon) he traded him away for a lesser player

You have all these facts that are based off your own opinions and other peoples thoughts and analysis's. You're argument is fueled solely on your own personal frustration, your own arrogance and self righteousness. I understand you're frustration.... It would have been amazing to have landed a player like Weber. it didn't happen, move on and don't let this ruin your summer. Try and be a little more open minded and listen to what everyone else is saying instead of considering there points invalid.

Your guess is probably wrong. The media don't completely make things up, regardless of what guys with an agenda (like Mike Gillis, who reportedly spoke of how there was NEVER any rift between Hodgson and the Canucks, until he was actually traded) might tell you.

Willes is far more connected than you or I are, and he wouldn't have a job if he was just making things up. That's why Eklund is an entrepreneur and not a sports journalist.

I'm probably right. Media members speculate all the time. If this was such common knowledge, why hasn't anyone else reported it?

You're right that he's younger, but are you aware that Jason Garrison is 28 years old himself? Not exactly a spring chicken, and pretty late in the dance for this "breakout" (33 point) season of his.

Salo's loss will be painfully evident pretty quickly, IMO. He's MUCH better than what many are giving him credit for.

We'll agree to disagree on this one. At the end of the season, we'll see who's guess is closer to reality.

Refresh my memory - did Anaheim trade Giguere, or Niedermayer? Does Boston want to get rid of Thomas, or Chara?

Anaheim had Hiller and Boston has Rask. Just as Vancouver has Schneider. BTW: DId LA trade Quick, or Jack Johnson?

My question about Conn Smythe trophies remains....

Do you have any idea of the risks involved with that? What if Weber accepted his QO, then had a career-ending knee injury next year? Guess what Nashville's then on the hook for? $0! And Weber can then go start applying for jobs at pulp mills in Sicamous. If that kind of money is offered to you, you sign it. For all we know, Gillis could've offered less, and Weber probably would've also signed. The point is that Holmgrem offered him SOMETHING, while Gillis did not. So, of course, given the stakes, he's going to sign it.

Others were pointing out the risk of signing a player to a 14 year deal and you were blowing it off. Now it's a huge risk when it doesn't support your position. If a player really wants to go somewhere, he's not going to let the spectre of a possible career-ending injury dissuade him.

Your guess is probably wrong. The media don't completely make things up, regardless of what guys with an agenda (like Mike Gillis, who reportedly spoke of how there was NEVER any rift between Hodgson and the Canucks, until he was actually traded) might tell you.

Willes is far more connected than you or I are, and he wouldn't have a job if he was just making things up. That's why Eklund is an entrepreneur and not a sports journalist.

You're right that he's younger, but are you aware that Jason Garrison is 28 years old himself? Not exactly a spring chicken, and pretty late in the dance for this "breakout" (33 point) season of his.

Salo's loss will be painfully evident pretty quickly, IMO. He's MUCH better than what many are giving him credit for.

Refresh my memory - did Anaheim trade Giguere, or Niedermayer? Does Boston want to get rid of Thomas, or Chara?

Do you have any idea of the risks involved with that? What if Weber accepted his QO, then had a career-ending knee injury next year? Guess what Nashville's then on the hook for? $0! And Weber can then go start applying for jobs at pulp mills in Sicamous. If that kind of money is offered to you, you sign it. For all we know, Gillis could've offered less, and Weber probably would've also signed. The point is that Holmgrem offered him SOMETHING, while Gillis did not. So, of course, given the stakes, he's going to sign it.

Gillis is just very good at convincing the gullible that he's infallible. Same with Vigneault. They've got the "swagger" which appeals to those fans.

Meanwhile, when anyone questions anything, the fans who have bought into the image get defensive in the name of "good fans". When it's pretty obvious that all fans just want to see the team win and opinions are all equally valid among us spectators.

Key sentence is bolded; you're talking about a time frame of 4 - 6 weeks, I'm talking about a time frame of multiple years.

Over the course of the next 8 years, let's say, I have no doubts that Drew Doughty will be more important to the Los Angeles Kings than Jonathan Quick. I'll counter your example with Detroit's and Nik Lidstrom. How many "second-rate" goalies had the Wings gone through, with Lidstrom manning the point? On a NIGHT-BY-NIGHT basis, over an "era" and not over a month or two, the 1A DEFENSEMAN IS INFINITELY MORE VALUABLE THAN THE 1A GOALIE. Just watch how Nashville's going to do without Weber & Suter, for proof.

Gillis is just very good at convincing the gullible that he's infallible. Same with Vigneault. They've got the "swagger" which appeals to those fans.

Meanwhile, when anyone questions anything, the fans who have bought into the image get defensive in the name of "good fans". When it's pretty obvious that all fans just want to see the team win and opinions are all equally valid among us spectators.

Archived