The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

1. if the canuck's offered less Nashville would have matched

2. He is a journalist not an insider so he doesn't have as many sources as you think he does if he did he wouldn't be working for The Province.

3. refresh my memory was it Lundqvist who got his contract buried or Redden. Refresh my memory

Willes is barely a media member. I mean technically you should have a decent foundation of readers for that title shouldn't you?

Or is it like an non practicing catholic...

He's right though Garrison might not be enough. But the deal Shultz got would have been too much and Weber decided to sign an offer sheet. Gillis didn't lose him somebody else simply did something stupid to get him.

Because Columbus wasn't in the running for Justin Schultz. Nor was Dallas. Etc. Most people thought that Schultz wanted to end up in Vancouver, so he was probably Gillis' to lose (which happened).

As for Weber, the tweets said that HE wanted to play in Vancouver, and that OWNERSHIP wanted him here. Again, this is a different situation than, say, the Washington Capitals missing out on him. HE wanted to play here, OWNERSHIP wanted him here, GILLIS didn't get it done, HOLMGREN did. See the difference?

If the league invalidates the Philly offersheet, ($1mil actual salary for first few years?!?) that opens the door for more. But they won't invalidate it because Snider is in the inner circle and it won't change the overall Nashville-Weber situation.

Still, Poile and Holmgren go way back. You'd suspect that things were going on behind the scenes for awhile now.

it doesnt matter if this guy is legit source or not, the canucks as an organization really screwed the pooch on this one....

GROW A PAIR AND MAKE A BOLD MOVE FOR GOD SAKES!!! 4 late first rounders for an all-world defenseman!??!!?!?!? WHERE DO I SIGN!?!?!?!?

gillis's patience really screwed him, the franchise and the fans big time on this one

I think I might be the ONLY one on here that so far doesnt mind the direction the team is going...so far....the reason being is that as everyone knows chemistry is more valuable then a bag full of Crosby's and Nash's...I get the feeling that the team is becoming closer because of the Luongo issue and the fact the Mr Brittle is gone leaves me to believe that the locker room may just be getting a little tighter...this is the same team that got kicked around in the final 2 years ago because they failed to bring their hearts to the games...IF we were to develope THAT chemistry I believe we win the cup......just a sad little thought

It's a risk no doubt, but you sometimes you have to take a risk to get rewarded. Sure a 6-7 year deal with a 7M cap hit would be ideal in your fantasy land. But if he has the option of making 100M and securing himself and his family for the rest of his career, don't you think he would take that over a measly 6 year offer making less than half the money? Give me a break.

4 late first round picks for the best D man in the league signed long term at a reasonable cap hit is more of a under payment than a stupid move. Preds wanted B. Schenn and Couturier, 4 late 1st is a lesser return than losing both of those guys. IMHO Gillis did drop the ball with not making a move for Weber we have a short window and Weber would've added so much to winning right now.

According to Willes. I haven't seen a single thing from any other source that suggested this. My guess is that he's making assumptions (as usual)

I wouldn't go so far as to say a "massive" upgrade, but garrison is younger and more durable. Also, he's on the rise, whereas Salo is in the twilight of his career. Definitely an upgrade.

The difference is, at that point, the Canucks had plenty of extra Cap room. They don't have that luxury this time around.

Suter and Weber. For "proof", Nashville would still have to have one of them.

As far as who's more valuable, why don't you check out the list of Conn Smythe winners and see how many are goalies and how many are defensemen....

Finally, I have to wonder about Willes as a so-called sportswriter. He claims that Weber "wanted" to come here. (he provides no sources, but we'll leave that alone for the moment)

If Shea Weber truly wanted to become a Canuck, he could have accepted his QO or gone to arbitration. At the end of next year, he'd be a UFA and be able to sign wherever he wanted. He also could have made it clear to Poile that he would not be re-signing with the Preds after the year, thus forcing a trade.

Methinks this is just a case of Willes trying to reclaim a bit of relevance in the Vancouver media market.

Weber is a mix of risk and defence, while Garrison is more of a safe choice in his style of play. Garrison as a result will likely fit better with Edler, or with someone like Weber than and Edler/Weber pairing. But that's my opinion, and I think there are more than a few people here not bothering to look at anything contrary to theirs even if it's supported by a valid argument.

First of all, Webber is greedy...he would not be a true canuck. Seriously 100 mill no man is worth that... simply put if he wanted to play here he would be here but as I see it Greediness always shows its true colors... Weber has shown his and so did Schultz as far as I am concerned good teams are built on character and they dont have any...

Next

We were never going to get Weber. There are too many other teams with more cap room to sign him to a giant offer sheet, and Nashville has room to match any offer we could have made. It was unlikely he was going to sign a 1 year deal this offseason.

Signing Garrison was the smart move by Gillis. It's the safe move instead of going for Weber, and a massive upgrade on Salo. Our defence is stronger now than it was at the end of last season.

Refresh my memory - did Anaheim trade Giguere, or Niedermayer? Does Boston want to get rid of Thomas, or Chara?

Do you have any idea of the risks involved with that? What if Weber accepted his QO, then had a career-ending knee injury next year? Guess what Nashville's then on the hook for? $0! And Weber can then go start applying for jobs at pulp mills in Sicamous. If that kind of money is offered to you, you sign it. For all we know, Gillis could've offered less, and Weber probably would've also signed. The point is that Holmgrem offered him SOMETHING, while Gillis did not. So, of course, given the stakes, he's going to sign it.

Archived