548 replies to this topic

#241 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm one who thinks Gillis will improve this team through trades and am glad hes not mortgaging the future. just be patient Gillis is not done yet.

This team's future is 2 - 3 years. That should be the ONLY focus.

Were you also happy that Burke didn't "mortgage the future" back in 2002 - 2004, when we had a window to win the Cup?

#242 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Then put up couple hundred million buy a franchise and see how it is to pony up another 26million in a year you aren't even sure hockey will start on time.

Clearly you work for someone and not a business owner.

The idea that the season might not start on time has no bearing on this discussion. Players aren't even paid during a lockout, so wft is your point?

#243 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

If you read that thread you'll see that the discussion is about whether the canucks have the cash to spend.
Clearly they do.

The cap is another issue.
The last contract included a 24% clawback of player salaries. I expect something similar this time.
We have excess contracts we could lose if it meant getting one of the top D in the league.
We could trade Ballard and Lu for nothing but futures and lose over 9 mil per yr.

Clearly they do not if they have to trade Luo for futures only. They do not have the cash without making big changes which still leaves a hole up front of a top 6 forward.

#244 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

This team's future is 2 - 3 years. That should be the ONLY focus.

Were you also happy that Burke didn't "mortgage the future" back in 2002 - 2004, when we had a window to win the Cup?

Exactly. "Mortgaging the future" presupposes that this team has or could possibly have a future. Picking near the bottom of the first, second, third round etc.--as well as trading away all of its top prospects--has left this team dead in a few years. Gillis' motive should be to make this team as good as he possibly can right now. But with his complete lack of action, both the present and the future of this team are screwed.

#245 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Clearly they do not if they have to trade Luo for futures only. They do not have the cash without making big changes which still leaves a hole up front of a top 6 forward.

Difficult to understand what you're saying here.
If you don't believe that we have the ability to pay Web's contract I'm not going to argue it. You can believe what you want.
Cap space is a different matter.
Trade ballard and Lu to clear 9 mil in cap space which is enough to cover Web's reportedly 7.5 mil cap hit and pay a backup goalie.

#246 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Exactly. "Mortgaging the future" presupposes that this team has or could possibly have a future. Picking near the bottom of the first, second, third round etc.--as well as trading away all of its top prospects--has left this team dead in a few years. Gillis' motive should be to make this team as good as he possibly can right now. But with his complete lack of action, both the present and the future of this team are screwed.

Ya...because Weber was the only way the Canucks could have won the cup. You should stop watching if you really thought the Canucks where going to land Weber and he was the only hope in your mind for the Canucks to win the Cup.

#247 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Ya...because Weber was the only way the Canucks could have won the cup. You should stop watching if you really thought the Canucks where going to land Weber and he was the only hope in your mind for the Canucks to win the Cup.

I haven't seen anybody claim that Web is the 'only' way we win a cup.
But how else can we acquire a franchise D for nothing but draft picks?

#248 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

I'm going to ignore your terrible grammar, and simply point out that I never said that Weber was the only hope of the Canucks winning the cup. But would you say that the Canucks would be further from finally winning the cup with Weber than without him? And if you really believe that this organization had no reasonable chance at securing Weber--despite being one of only five teams that he met with, when he could've done so with any others in the enitre league--then you really need to reconsider ever trying to think again; otherwise you may end up comatose from the strain it'll put on your mind.

#249 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,010 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

First of all, Webber is greedy...he would not be a true canuck. Seriously 100 mill no man is worth that... simply put if he wanted to play here he would be here but as I see it Greediness always shows its true colors... Weber has shown his and so did Schultz as far as I am concerned good teams are built on character and they dont have any...

Next

I don't really agree with this. Weber can hardly be blamed for signing a contract that basically sets him up for life.

Bear in mind that both Ryan Kesler and Matthias Ohlund signed offer sheets when they were Canucks. Also, Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet once with the Rangers. I doubt that anyone would question his character.

For your answer i suggest you due further research. U r so wrong. Offersheets are sent, then signed or not. Kesler never met with the flyers yet he signed an offersheet. You keep making yourself look foolish.

Before you call someone "foolish, you should do your homework.

This is from Flyers beatwriter Frank Seravalli:

Shea Weber spent quite a bit of time with the Flyers' brass in Philly and toured facilities two weeks ago.

This from Preds sportswriter Dirk Hoag:

The Tennessean is reporting

that he also visited with the

Sharks

Rangers

and Red Wings, too. Since he's a free agent, he can speak with whomever he likes these days

I found this with about 2 minutes worth of searching...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#250 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Difficult to understand what you're saying here.
If you don't believe that we have the ability to pay Web's contract I'm not going to argue it. You can believe what you want.
Cap space is a different matter.
Trade ballard and Lu to clear 9 mil in cap space which is enough to cover Web's reportedly 7.5 mil cap hit and pay a backup goalie.

Pretty easly to understand you are saying it easy for the canucks to have the cap space when they do not have it without trading and no team is going to take Luo's cap without the Canucks taking cap back.
I'm saying it not easy, it may be easy for you to say it easy but it far from it. They still have to make major changes to fit his cap hit it not worth it when there are other holes to fill and with Weber here it makes that much harder to fill those holes. Weber is a dream but also a nightmare in team future depth. Everyone talks about " now is the time" but if weber gets hurt which is a huge possiblity with his ice time and style of play, than the canucks are in big trouble.
I'm simple saying it not easy not that we cant.

#251 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

I haven't seen anybody claim that Web is the 'only' way we win a cup.
But how else can we acquire a franchise D for nothing but draft picks?

And the possiblity of not being able to sign Burrows and Edler with Webers cap hit.

#252 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

And the possiblity of not being able to sign Burrows and Edler with Webers cap hit.

Burrow will be looking for about 2 mil more than he makes now. Hardly a major issue.
After we have Weber re-signing edler is not a necessity.
garrison -weber
hamhuis-bieksa
alberts -tanev

#253 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Pretty easly to understand you are saying it easy for the canucks to have the cap space when they do not have it without trading and no team is going to take Luo's cap without the Canucks taking cap back.
I'm saying it not easy, it may be easy for you to say it easy but it far from it. They still have to make major changes to fit his cap hit it not worth it when there are other holes to fill and with Weber here it makes that much harder to fill those holes. Weber is a dream but also a nightmare in team future depth. Everyone talks about " now is the time" but if weber gets hurt which is a huge possiblity with his ice time and style of play, than the canucks are in big trouble.
I'm simple saying it not easy not that we cant.

It's clear from the scuttlebutt that florida wants Lu. MG wants more than florida wants to pay.
Yes, I think we could easily trade Lu without taking a big contract back.
We can disagree about that. We're just exchanging opinions here.

Yes Web could have serious injuries while he plays for us, but he has no serious injury history.
Sidney crosby however...

#254 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Burrow will be looking for about 2 mil more than he makes now. Hardly a major issue.
After we have Weber re-signing edler is not a necessity.
garrison -weber
hamhuis-bieksa
alberts -tanev

You're assuming there is no cap coming back for Luo and ballard. I would trade bieksa( cap would come back) before letting Edler go, so once again Weber's cap hit would cause problems.

#255 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

the four first round picks would be the equivalent of gance, jensen, schroeder and this years first rounder for weber and a monster 14 year contract.

id rather give up gaunce, jensen, schroeder and this years first round pick then edler, tanev, booth and two first rounders

the term i really dont care about because he is 26 so he would only be 40 when its over....im not crazy about the bonus money though but the canucks make plenty of money and they were prepared to give weber big money but phi beat'em to it
Posted Image

#256 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

His cap hit would put Van in the situation of having to give up a Edler, booth, ballard, Burrows.. ect anyways. So no I not going to give up Elder mybe Burrows + 4 first rounds draft picks for Weber. Especial when Edler is not that far behind Weber in talent and play.

whoa whoa whoa...i would never give up burrows for weber, i dont think anyone on this site has even posted a proposal that includes burrows...i see more bout the sedins and kesler then i do burrows

edler gonna be a great tier 2 great defensmen along with suter, seabrook, letang etc....but edler isnt in the same ball park as weber yet
Posted Image

#257 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

You're assuming there is no cap coming back for Luo and ballard. I would trade bieksa( cap would come back) before letting Edler go, so once again Weber's cap hit would cause problems.

Yes I'm assuming that there are teams out there that would be happy to take Lu and ballard for futures only.
I don't think these are wild assumptions when there are teams under the cap floor that want players who have reasonable cap hits.

bieksa or edler? Well, you're the one that thinks we have major cap issues and you want to keep edler who may cost us 5-6 mil instead of bieksa's 4.6 mil? I think it'll depend on whether or not garrison can play the right side.

#258 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

gillis how dare you!!! LOL

#259 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Comedy. Whatever Gillis does it the right decision in your mind. period. I do think you actually believe that statement though.

Honestly I agree with the person you quoted... I wouldn't be super happy at having to give up a chunk of our core, 4 1st round picks and a huge contract that is WAAAY to long just for Weber. I wouldn't be beating down Gillis' door, but I certainly wouldn't be thrilled.

#260 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just think if Nashville does not match the Philly offer, they will have 8 first round draft picks in the next 4 years to rebuild.

#261 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

He's like a CDC poster here.
Posted Image

#262 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Whatever, I'm not going to bother. What you're suggesting is that teams have the power to automatically bring RFA's into their organization simply by doing up an offer sheet and sending it, just like that. Clueless.

Do some research man. He is right. Derp.

#263 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

id rather give up gaunce, jensen, schroeder and this years first round pick then edler, tanev, booth and two first rounders

the term i really dont care about because he is 26 so he would only be 40 when its over....im not crazy about the bonus money though but the canucks make plenty of money and they were prepared to give weber big money but phi beat'em to it

Where is your source for, "im not crazy about the bonus money though but the canucks make plenty of money and they were prepared to give weber big money but phi beat'em to it"?

#264 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,318 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

From my understanding, Nashville can still trade Weber's rights until the 7 days to match has expired. Its presumed Poille is negotiating with the Flyers to see what they can work out, and the Flyers will be offering as Nashville has the option to match. names batted about; Grossman, Coutierre, two first and?

There is also nothing stopping the Canucks from offering a package???

To me Edler (if Poille can signe him), Booth, Schroeder and two first is more attractive and fills our needs, assuming either Jensen of Kassian can crack the line up on the right side?

<_< :bigblush: Hmmmmm, and we WOULD match Phillies offer sheet!

That's incorrect. An offer sheet is the same as a regular contract offered to a UFA, except the team holding the RFA rights of the player has the ability to match it and keep the player. Obviously there compensation if they don't while none for UFAs but it's still a contract that has to be answered.

So, there are only two options at this point, Nashville can match the exact offer sheet (no modifications) or decline and take the compensation. They can't trade his rights to someone else, and no other teams can submit a larger offer while Nashville is still deciding.

The idea that the season might not start on time has no bearing on this discussion. Players aren't even paid during a lockout, so wft is your point?

This is another case where it helps to have the details on how things work. Salary isn't paid during a lockout, but signing bonuses are paid prior to the start of the season, so they aren't affected by how many (if any) games are played.

Considering the first 4 years of the deal are setup as $13M in signing bonuses and $1M in actual salary, Weber would be guaranteed the $13M and lose the $1M in case of a lockout. That means the owner makes nothing from ticket sales or concession revenues and anything else associated with the games but Weber still gets 93% of the money from the first season of his contract without having to do anything. Then he gets another 93% of the next year of his contract paid out before having to play any games in that season. That's not chump change.

Would you be as quick to load up the bonuses in a contract knowing you might have to pay $26M before the player has even suited up for your team?

Where is your source for, "im not crazy about the bonus money though but the canucks make plenty of money and they were prepared to give weber big money but phi beat'em to it"?

I'm guessing you haven't been reading the last few pages of the thread, eh? There have been a few articles about how the Canucks and other teams were both talking with Weber and his agent, and how the Canucks had considered offering all types of deals yet felt Nashville would match anyways.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#265 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Considering the first 4 years of the deal are setup as $13M in signing bonuses and $1M in actual salary, Weber would be guaranteed the $13M and lose the $1M in case of a lockout. That means the owner makes nothing from ticket sales or concession revenues and anything else associated with the games but Weber still gets 93% of the money from the first season of his contract without having to do anything. Then he gets another 93% of the next year of his contract paid out before having to play any games in that season. That's not chump change.

I wouldn't worry about the amount of money that the Aquilini's make or don't make.

I'd worry about doing ALL WE CAN to win a Cup over the next 2 years.

#266 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hey man .. you been smokin' from yer "billy-bong" again? .. a bit TOO dramatic?? ..

just venting....we still havent seen the starting night roster for the canucks but right now things are a little murky and im getting sick of rumours and speculation, i want something real..something that we can sink our teeth in and enjoy
Posted Image

#267 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

26million in the 1st year, 80million in first 6yrs and 110million over all say hi!

You don't care you aren't the one who has to write a cheque for 26million bucks next year.

Oh and you probably complain that tickets to the game cost too much too right? Imagine if they signed him what happens to ticket prices then? Yup the team needs to pay that 110million some how.

So yeah no thanks to Weber and that deal.

are you telling me that our owner isnt a billionaire!?!?!?! he has 26m in his sock drawer..

come on...this team makes A LOT of money each year that just gets stored away
Posted Image

#268 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

just venting....we still havent seen the starting night roster for the canucks but right now things are a little murky and im getting sick of rumours and speculation, i want something real..something that we can sink our teeth in and enjoy

I totally agree .. speculation has me on the edge of nausia .. I need a hoot on yer bong to chase away the negativity .. :P

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#269 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Brad Ziemer@BradZiemer
The #Canucks seriously discussed presenting an offer sheet to Weber, but determined there was no way to land player: that Preds would match.

Retweeted by Farhan Lalji

i think i saw more of them but i cant find them...
Posted Image

#270 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Obviously just someone trying to grab headlines by saying something controversial and negative. Not much critical thinking going on there.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.