The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

So first everyone wanted a top 4 d-man.

He got Garisson. But still people complained

Then people say we need depth d-men

He gets Mullen and Joslin. But still people complained

And then it was "LUONGO NEEDS TO BE TRADED ASAP" and he needs to get Campbell, Weiss, Huberdeau and Versteeg or else its a failure

Now its "GILLIS SUCKS CAUSE HE DIDNT SIGN SHEA WEBER TO AN 82-year, 900 Billion Dollar CONTRACT!!!!!!"

Give the guy a break, just cause he dosent sign

all the free agents dosent mean he should be fired

Regards,

CH9

Not really on a few fronts, Joslin and Mullen aren't NHL calibre depth dmen which is what I think people were looking for. We also let a (arguably) top 4 dman in Salo go and the Garrison contract is a gamble given length/history.

Don't feel bad for the guy at all, it's been a pretty mediocre off-season but agreed some of the interweb folk complain unnecessarily.

He's doing fine. There's 29 other teams in the league. I"m sure his crew isn't sitting there saying now what? Gillis is prepared and is probably got irons in the fire we can't even imagine. I think Gillis will make on more significant trade other than Luongo. There's lots of time.

Remember, most of the people on this forum are yet to move from home and have no clue to what money management is let alone criticizing what Gillis is up to.

Mullen and Joslin are pretty pathetic to sign to NHL contracts, especially Mullen. The Garrison signing is a bit sketchy but you can't blame him for not signing Wever to a massive offersheet or getting an unrealistic return for Luongo (and his long ass contract). Overall, he has been average this offseason (nothing overly notable).

Not particularly, it's a business after all, you can't sign every free agent and Gillis is well, well aware of this. Much more so than any one of us fans does.

Also, I highly doubt he's bothered by anything people say about him on CDC. He's busy off doing his job, not scrolling through the Proposals and Armchair GMing forum for ideas.

Only the kids complain about Gillis.

Running a hockey team is not Xbox unlike what most "expertzzz" say on the matter.

Gillis and company are the best crew we have had in here for a long long time. They brought us 2 presidents trophies and 1 game from winning the cup.

Let the man work!

He hasn't made one mistake in my eyes. Yes the Hodgson deal pissed everyone off, but I still feel like Kassian will turn into a great player. Good move on getting Garrison, now we have a very solid D-core. Also in case anyone isn't aware of it, Gillis did try to get Weber, he sat down with him in Kelowna and Weber was really considering it, but he went for the money instead. Frankly I don't care, not signing Weber means we have a strong possibility of resigning our core. Philly on the other hand, will have to let some good players go next season if they end up signing him.

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.

lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

We have not signed a depth d-man, Those two are career AHLers. Everyone likes the Garrison signing but we also lost Salo in the process. An improvement as he is younger and should be more healthy (knock on wood) but we wanted a large improvement as Edler looked aweful in the playoffs. People are sad about Weber because we all have dreams of have a top notch d-men who just happens to have been born an approximate hour drive away from my house. As for Luongo many people just want closure-we want this Luongo saga to end, although it isn't as bad as the Rick Nash drama or the Dwight Howard drama in the NBA. And people aren't expecting all the players you listed from Florida, we want a hockey trade, better than Luke Schenn but not the 10 1st round picks.

although I ranted above, I do agree that I think Gillis and his crew seem to be among the nest managing team we have had-I say this beacuase I thought he did a very strong job the first two years here. I would have to say, the last two years have been a disappointment.

You should not be.

He has Weber, at worst the 2knd best physical defenceman in the world, locked up for 14 years. He may not make a profit for 4 years, but will makle a killing long term. They will match!

And the new CBA will mean moving forward they wont be able to front load any contracts, so he can fill out his team comfortably!!!

I feel worse for David Poile.

Archived