The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

Because Garrison > Rome, Salo. Not to forget Tanev is able to make the jump full time next year.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

How is this not improved? Three solid pairings that bring everything, and are reliable. You won't have to worry about them having an injury plagued season like Salo where it's one thing after another, worry about the speed of Salo etc etc, nor do you have to worry about Aaron Rome creeping into our top 4 anymore. I liked him as a depth guy, however, but I'm fine with him leaving.

Yes, the Canucks are better than they were June 23rd.

To repeat.

Successful draft of a better than expected big, physical two-way center.

Signed Schneider before July 1st - avoided serious complications, a bigger cap hit, and drama.

Signed Garrison - the best, most affordable long term option available in the UFA defensemen market.

Bettter chance than anticipated of signing Doan, who looked dead-set to go back to Phoenix - at this point the Canucks look to have a decent chance. To sign other not very attractive available UFAs would get in the way.

Luongo value higher than projected by eastern lobby/media - wise to hold out - will eventually add more depth to the roster.

A number or young players in the system improving.

I'd say the Canucks are well positioned right now.

Ballard may not have panned out as expected but the only thing Florida really got out of it was that bottom end 1st rounder. Grabner couldn't even crack their offense starved roster. He sure as hell wasn't going to beat any of our top six (all of them coming off a career year) for a spot.

Yeah,blindly sucking up to Gillis is going to win us a cup.

Let's not be critical whatsoever as the 9 prior Vancouver Canucks GM's all have the same thing in common:

No CUP.

Gillis gets paid big dollars to have big shoulders.

If he can't take criticism he would have stayed away from the job.

The Canucks gave up on Grabner 20 games into his NHL career.

Everybody with half a hockey brain should be questioning that move-and will question that move - for the next fifty years.

It has all the makings of Neely Part 2.

Let's hope Quinton Howden does not turn into an NHL gem or it is just a laugher all around.

To any outsider looking in that sure seems the case. Same would go for guys like KofES and maybe even Nucknit. I know the next line from any of you is that you just love the Canucks so much you won't turn a blind eye blah blah blah but that doesn't make sense if every move Gillis makes is considered bad by you guys.

Grabner's 27 goal average over two New York Islander seasons look stellar.

That would make him the third highest scoring Canuck this past year if replicated here.

How many years as a Canuck did the team wait for Daniel and Burrows to produce 27 goal years on average?

Answer: Seven for Daniel and five for Alex.

Grabner got 20 games.

Seriously, shut it, pal.

We're both making good points and offering good support for our positions. The worst part about this board is the notion that you're somehow a "negative troll" if you're not waving the Canuck flag for every single move that they make. It's good to think for yourself. If myself, or nucknit, or whoever, doesn't like a move made by the Canucks, what's wrong with voicing our opinion? THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

Also, every move is not considered bad. As mentioned many times, I like the off-season extension of Raymond. There's good value there, IMO. That said, I don't think there's anything else that I like. Does that make me wrong? NO. It's an OPINION.

So, please, quit crying about negativity. These guys don't care what we say about them, and neither should you. Grow up.

No you're all making some good points and offering moderate support but that's not really the problem nor did I bring it up as such. I also never said you couldn't have an opinion...the problem being none of you seem willing to change your opinion or even acknowledge anything that is counter intuitive to your preconceived notions.

Oh, and you do?

Neither you, nor anyone else, have budged in any of our arguments. Mike Gillis can do NO wrong, in your eyes. There's ALWAYS a bunch of excuses to be used.

"Hindsight" was even an excuse, offered by Baggins. Hindsight. Really, that is comedic gold. If hindsight didn't matter, no teams would ever change anything, their GMs, their coaches, nothing. What would be their reason to? Who cares that mistakes were made, that's only something that can be evaluated IN HINDSIGHT!

Jesus, there is so much wrong with this post.

You're then assuming that 145 lb. Chris Tanev will be "able to make the jump full-time next year". That is an assumption, not a fact. Training camp will dictate. But from what I see of Tanev, he needs to be locked in a room at Morton's and be fed liquid steak through a tube for multiple hours per day. He will get pushed around badly, and probably isn't as ready as you think.

Archived