Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peaches

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

You're stating your incorrect opinion as fact again. We would have been better off in keeping Grabner, that should have happened. It didn't, we lost. You can say "i would have made teh same mistake Gillis made", thats a fair statement and then give your reasons. You can't say we weren't better off in keeping Grabner, that is clearly wrong, where your lack of objectivity comes in.

In the end it comes down to this for me:

Would we have been better off keeping Grabner? No. Short of gifting him a roster spot, he would have been lost to waivers. Gifting a prospect a spot who can't be bothered to show up in shape and ready to play isn't the message I'd want to send to the rest of the team. In the end something is always better than nothing. Which is what we would have had if we hadn't traded him.

yeah he had to deal with your ass(cody hodgson)

doubt he pays too much attention if any at all to the complainers here on cdc

So you saying that had Grabner not been traded Gillis would have gifted him a spot on this team despite showing up in poor shape yet again? I'm saying he wouldn't have. Just as Tallon wouldn't. I don't see that as a mistake.

Yeah, I'd sure rather have David Booth, with his $4.25M contract and IQ of 58.

And yeah, you referenced that the team was the highest scoring in the league, thanks in large part to the luck of the divisional draw. What happened to those goals in the playoffs? Dried up pretty quickly, didn't they? Was it 8 goals in the SCF, over 7 games? Think a guy like Grabner may have helped?

There are a few categories of depth where you REALLY cannot have too much of, and speed and scoring ability are two of them. Grabner has both. Kassian, who you referenced as being "versatile", has neither. He's big, and that's about it. That's the type of depth that won't help you win hockey games.

Raymond over Grabner at the time was the logical choice and if I have to explain why..... Plus, the team we currently have now is better than what Grabner would bring if he was here in place of someone else. I cannot back it up but Grabner also was reported on 1040 to have sat out/benched himself at times in the playoffs for Spokane because of the physicality in some of the games. On top of that, this is true, Grabner was also criticized for his lack of physical play. And that trend holds true to today because he's soft as baby sh1t. He's even less physical in terms of hits than the Sedins are, if you can imagine that.

OMFG, are we actually debating whether getting rid of Grabner was a bad decision or not? It sure as hell didn't hurt us so lets just leave it at that. At the end of the day he's just another marginal player with mediocre goal scoring ability, some solid pickpocketing skills and literally as soft as they come. (None of which he is actually better than Raymond at when Raymond is on his game as we've seen before)

Why are you guys still trying to debate with them? Give it a rest and let it go, you aren't going to change their minds or even get them to the point where they're even open to other opinions on the subject.

This is how I felt looking at the comments still going on in this thread:

tumblr_m5jlvydicP1rula7qo2_250.gif

So you saying that had Grabner not been traded Gillis would have gifted him a spot on this team despite showing up in poor shape yet again? I'm saying he wouldn't have. Just as Tallon wouldn't. I don't see that as a mistake.

Grabner played 20 games in the NHL and was let go,traded,most importantly,the franchise never,ever figured out he was capable of being a 30 goal scorer IMMEDIATELY.

Neely was given three years here and played third line fiddle before they gave up on him.

Grabner was given 20 NHL games as a Canuck,scored more than half a point per game,mostly on the third line and finished +2.

He has NHL stats of scoring better than every third game pace now after three NHL seasons.That is a 27 goal scorer.

If any of you closet GM's and blow hards think that scoring at that pace in the NHL is being 'soft','mediocre' , 'in poor shape' -on and on with a Gillis decision that gave up on a star player as fast as possible then you are friggin dumb as a sack of hammers.

The 'Detroit Model,developing our talent,being patient',la de da-horse manure.

Gillis blew it,his advice was poor or he just made a bad decision.

Live with it,big boys.

This team desperately covets goal scorers but they are given away ASAP and the spin comes from on high and is repeated ad nauseum for years like it was gospel.

Gillis brings in head injured players and gives up on young stars.Super policy.

Great theatre if you like living in some delusionally based Gillis worshpping world.

You may as well give up. You won't change my mind that moving Grabner wasn't the best option under the circumstances. He was a moveable asset that didn't fit. Nothing more.

OMFG, are we actually debating whether getting rid of Grabner was a bad decision or not? It sure as hell didn't hurt us so lets just leave it at that. At the end of the day he's just another marginal player with mediocre goal scoring ability, some solid pickpocketing skills and literally as soft as they come. (None of which he is actually better than Raymond at when Raymond is on his game as we've seen before)

So can Gillis not claim victory, than, in the Ehrhoff acquisition from SJ? At the time, he was a moveable asset that didn't fit on their team.

Are the Sharks better off by having traded Ehrhoff, too?

Grabner played 20 games in the NHL and was let go,traded,most importantly,the franchise never,ever figured out he was capable of being a 30 goal scorer IMMEDIATELY.

Neely was given three years here and played third line fiddle before they gave up on him.

Grabner was given 20 NHL games as a Canuck,scored more than half a point per game,mostly on the third line and finished +2.

He has NHL stats of scoring better than every third game pace now after three NHL seasons.That is a 27 goal scorer.

If any of you closet GM's and blow hards think that scoring at that pace in the NHL is being 'soft','mediocre' , 'in poor shape' -on and on with a Gillis decision that gave up on a star player as fast as possible then you are friggin dumb as a sack of hammers.

The 'Detroit Model,developing our talent,being patient',la de da-horse manure.

Gillis blew it,his advice was poor or he just made a bad decision.

Live with it,big boys.

This team desperately covets goal scorers but they are given away ASAP and the spin comes from on high and is repeated ad nauseum for years like it was gospel.

Gillis brings in head injured players and gives up on young stars.Super policy.

Great theatre if you like living in some delusionally based Gillis worshpping world.

Yes,you are,Employee.

A sad Gillis excuse pumping machine that is run down every time you trot out your rah-rah Gillis nonesense.

Your schtick is up.

In a sense yes. Ehrhoff wasn't an excess need in SJ. They were in cap trouble and he was a salary dump. They needed to move a contract more so than the player without taking salary back. I'm surprised MG's was the best offer they received.

Yes,you are,Employee.

A sad Gillis excuse pumping machine that is run down every time you trot out your rah-rah Gillis nonesense.

Your schtick is up.

Well, heck, Luongo isn't an excess need in Vancouver. So why not just move him for someone else's failed 1st round pick, using this logic?