The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

They will neither "get the difference" nor do they "understand" as you both do and I've spent enough time trying to show them there's at least two sides to the coin. Their dimes have heads on both sides though, one with Grabner and one with Weber.

They'll ignore your salient points and continue to try and attack anything they feel is a weakness based on their logic. Anything they can't refute gets edited out of the quote and you're back in the same circular argument, like you have been for days now.

I repeat:

Are we including hindsight deals like you guys do or real ones that we can actually question?

Well you can but I honestly won't include those.

I certainly thought it was a mistake not signing Brendan Morrison. Morrison was overrated and his stats in Calgary were inflated because of his line mates but I still hated that Gillis didn't sign Morrison...especially given who he did sign. IMO in terms of missed opportunities that is by far his biggest mistake.

I'd also say there were some signings I thought were poor as well. Plenty that weren't good but didn't hurt the team. The ones I think that were actually detrimental were Hordichuk and Schneider. Those two signings from day 1 I didn't like. There was potential with Hordichuk but the reality was and is that he is a low talent ass clown. Lots of useless signings like Lukowich but they didn't have any negative effect.

I absolutely hated the Shannon trade. I also think he could have gotten more for Ehrhoffs rights than a 4th but that's just nitpicky. Also I thought Ellington had potential and given everything Pahlson did for us it would have been worth it to find out where that potential would have led to. Also there is no way I would have included the first round pick in the Ballard trade. Second at most.

Gillis is not a perfect GM by any standard. He has however done more good than bad for this organization; and is an arse tonne better than the guy before him. (That's coming from a guy who disagreed with the Nonis firing) If you three can't see that that's just fine. I am not a Gillis cheerleader...I am however in my opinion more objective and clearly less emotional than the 3 of you. I mean KofES how objective do you think you are? You have more or less already made up your mind about Garrison without even seeing him play. You've made up your mind so much so that you jump on anyone that says anything positive about Garrison. How objective do you think that is? Are we just going to play the opinion card on this one?

Out of curiosity...and this question is for everyone not just the three stooges what move since the lock out do you think hurt this team the most? I know there's going to be a lot of "Ballard Trades" and "Hodgson Trade" and in retrospect the Ballard trade is valid...Hodgson trade is yet to be seen. IMO though...the Cooke trade. Especially since Cooke has cleaned up his act and has shown that he's actually a good hockey play not just a horses ass on skates. Pettinger was bloody useless. That deal was almost as bad as the Rucinsky/ Sanderson trade.

Out of curiosity...and this question is for everyone not just the three stooges what move since the lock out do you think hurt this team the most? I know there's going to be a lot of "Ballard Trades" and "Hodgson Trade" and in retrospect the Ballard trade is valid...Hodgson trade is yet to be seen. IMO though...the Cooke trade. Especially since Cooke has cleaned up his act and has shown that he's actually a good hockey play not just a horses ass on skates. Pettinger was bloody useless. That deal was almost as bad as the Rucinsky/ Sanderson trade.

Definitely disagree on those:

1. Lukowich came in our trade with Ehrhoff, he was a cap dump and was never expected to be a part of this team outside of depth on our AHL team. He was part of the price we paid for Ehrhoff.

2. Shannon was terrible I have no idea what you're talking about. Grabner and Tambellini, both players of a similar mold, were better players the moment they played on our team and still couldn't stick around here. 07-08 was possibly the weakest forward group we've had in 10 years and he still got sent down to the minors. End of the day we lost a player who'd spend his days in the AHL for us for another player who'd spend his days in the AHL. Regardless, this is nitpicking as you said.

3. Ellington was garbage. The guy can't even make it to the AHL four years later and wasn't even the best defenseman on the Salmon Kings. If that guy was not a bust I'm not sure what is.

Agreed on all the other points though.

Better reasons to dislike Gillis are:

1. Marco Sturm signing: Nobody give me some hindsight bull**** this was bad from the get go. Don't make me pull out an old thread, the majority here were embracing themselves for the worst the moment they heard this happen.

2. Johnson signing: For a guy known for his faceoff prowess he was nothing amazing and went below 50% in at least one of his years here. Anyone paying close attention realized he wasn't good on the PK (despite being advertised as such) as his routine shotblocks were predictable and teams would just fake a shot, wait for him to go down, then start passing it around what essentially became a 5-3. Used to piss me off so much. Oh, and he was a blackhole offensively and injury prone.

3. Sulzer trade: The guy didn't get any opportunities here and the moment he's traded he gets over 20 minutes a game in Buffalo. That's an incredible jump. We got back a player we didn't even re-sign or play in the playoffs. A 7th rounder would've been better. But more importantly, Buffalo saw untapped potential in Sulzer that we, for some reason, didn't which worries me. The player I saw in Buffalo ( my 2nd favourite team) was a lot better than Ballard/Tanev/Alberts/ and Rome. Even if there weren't space on our D-group, if MG thought SUlzer had talent he would've showcased him on the line-up (not unlike Hodgson).

I think the biggest mistake was the trade that didn't happen. Coming out of the lockout I said Jovo should be moved as he was going into his final contract year and we were aleady in cap trouble with our existing contracts. I suggested moving Jovo for a goalie plus. Instead Nonis re-signed Clouts who was immediately injured and gone for the season. Jovo walked at the end of the season as we didn't have the cap space to re-sign him. People at the time said I was crazy. But we squandered a season where we actually had two equally good scoring lines because we couldn't keep the puck out the net. What followed was bad trades for rental players to try plug the holes on defense. Which didn't pay off at all as we missed the playoffs. Nonis made big mistakes from the get go.

Yeah, because how could we ever move on with a Calder candidate that was the fastest skater in the entire NHL on a big stage at the All-Star weekend?

"Mediocre goal scoring ability" is pretty funny. 34 on one of the NHLs biggest dog teams in his rookie season is not impressive to you? Even in his allegedly "terrible" sophomore season, he had 20. Not too shabby for a 24 year-old in his 2nd season. He's got 59 goals over 174 GP, which, by my calculations, renders him the following GPG number:

-Grabner: .339

Now, let's compare that number to the rest of our top-6's career numbers:

-Grabner: .339

-D. Sedin: .325

-Booth: .282

-Kesler: .273

-Burrows: .266

So if he's "mediocre", what are the rest of the guys on our team?

Definitely disagree on those:

1. Lukowich came in our trade with Ehrhoff, he was a cap dump and was never expected to be a part of this team outside of depth on our AHL team. He was part of the price we paid for Ehrhoff.

2. Shannon was terrible I have no idea what you're talking about. Grabner and Tambellini, both players of a similar mold, were better players the moment they played on our team and still couldn't stick around here. 07-08 was possibly the weakest forward group we've had in 10 years and he still got sent down to the minors. End of the day we lost a player who'd spend his days in the AHL for us for another player who'd spend his days in the AHL. Regardless, this is nitpicking as you said.

3. Ellington was garbage. The guy can't even make it to the AHL four years later and wasn't even the best defenseman on the Salmon Kings. If that guy was not a bust I'm not sure what is.

Agreed on all the other points though.

Better reasons to dislike Gillis are:

1. Marco Sturm signing: Nobody give me some hindsight bull**** this was bad from the get go. Don't make me pull out an old thread, the majority here were embracing themselves for the worst the moment they heard this happen.

2. Johnson signing: For a guy known for his faceoff prowess he was nothing amazing and went below 50% in at least one of his years here. Anyone paying close attention realized he wasn't good on the PK (despite being advertised as such) as his routine shotblocks were predictable and teams would just fake a shot, wait for him to go down, then start passing it around what essentially became a 5-3. Used to piss me off so much. Oh, and he was a blackhole offensively and injury prone.

3. Sulzer trade: The guy didn't get any opportunities here and the moment he's traded he gets over 20 minutes a game in Buffalo. That's an incredible jump. We got back a player we didn't even re-sign or play in the playoffs. A 7th rounder would've been better. But more importantly, Buffalo saw untapped potential in Sulzer that we, for some reason, didn't which worries me. The player I saw in Buffalo ( my 2nd favourite team) was a lot better than Ballard/Tanev/Alberts/ and Rome. Even if there weren't space on our D-group, if MG thought SUlzer had talent he would've showcased him on the line-up (not unlike Hodgson).

Great point on the Johnson signing. People forget we where a much better team than Chi those first two games in Chicago. Johnson was hurt, he was inserted back in the lineup for game 3. I knew it was over for us, never has a player managed to be on the ice for so many goals against in such a short amount of time. Fitting how his last nhl shift was the Burr goal in game 7 OT, although obviously not his fault.

After the third year of Lou's last contract there was a rumour on TSN that it was going to be Lou for Briere/JVR/Coburn. NTC could have been a factor but man that would have been nice.

Probably i draw those conclusions as you've called me an idiot several times in the past.

You called me an idiot when I said Ballard was going to be a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

The long winded guy just argued that we had to get Ballard as Bieksa was thought to be traded.

You just said gillis had to fly to Ontario to tell Bieksa he wasn't going to be traded.

You don't see anything conflicting in the two above statements?

Isn't it more likely that the person who was wrong about the trade might not be objective? If i was wrong and didn't change my position then sure, I'm not being objective. But i was bang on. It's you that didn't have the right read on the situation and still won't change your opinion.

But nobody cares, they only want to diminish his accomplishments and justify the bad trade. Our leading goal scorer in the minors for 4 years turns out to be a 30+ goal man in the nhl. How could Gillis predict this? Really. Our farm system sucks, that's just espn.com or hockeyfutures hating on us, we really are much higher than that. We disagree and we are the ones that aren't objective? Being objective means coming up with excuses for bad decisions. period. It's has an eerie cult type feeling, no thinking for yourself, wait for MG to make a decision, than back it up no matter the results.

Archived