The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

Look there's plenty of thing I find entertaining that I get nothing out of in terms of intelligence. This happens to be one of them. I know it's on a message board but when you read their posts don't they come off as kind of angry and condescending...that's hilarious to me.

Of course they come of as angry and condescending (for example, KofES with his love of capitalizing particular words to try and make a bad point good), but it does tend to disrupt the whole thread when you play along. I've been there before (see the Weber offer sheet thread) but at some point it just becomes tiresome hearing the same thing over and over, never mind the amount of typing required when trying to explain logic to the illogical.

BTW, I've just noticed that you guys are calling moves like the Cooke trade, the Rucinsky/Sanderson trade, and the Jovo non-trade as the worst post-lockout moves.

Hmm - must be PURE COINCIDENCE that these were moves made by others than Mike Gillis, right? :lol: Seriously, I hope he's paying you guys in your ever-lasting quest to artificially inflate his rep.

Elvis - let's hear it. A Gillis move that you disagree with. Go.

I've learned that whenever someone like you responds with something like "this becomes tiresome", or "why even bother", the translation really is "I have nothing to refute what he's saying with and will therefore feign some higher level of intellect and hope he goes away".

He has done it once, but he has played TWO seasons. TWO.

It's rare that a guy will score 34 in his rookie season, and just wilt into a fringe NHLer. It's pretty difficult to fake your way to 34 goals in the NHL.

And BTW, if 174 games is too small a sample size to evaluate someone's talent, you must be VERY concerned about the 6 year, $4.6M per contract that we have to Jason Garrison, because he's 3 years older than Grabner, and has played 190 games. How do you feel about that deal?

Marek Svatos scored 32 as a rookie in 61 games. Besides, no one says he faked his way to anything. What is clear is that Grabner is a soft forward who the Canucks had no room for in their top 6 at the time of the trade.

Keep in mind Grabner doesn't play for a top tier team right now either, so he would have a better chance for premier ice time and first power play opportunities which makes the one power play goal all year a problem.

Stating his goal scoring would have helped against Boston last year ignores the fact he doesn't hit and shies away from physical play. The Bruins would have likely run him into the ice every time he got near the puck. The Canucks need a big and strong top six winger.

As I said before, Raymond had more hits than Grabner and pro-rates to 2 less points over 82 games this past season.

Never have I said that Grabner is a perfect player.

But who would you rather have? Keith Ballard and Victor Oreskovich, or Steve Bernier, Michael Grabner, and Quinton Howden? That's what it boils down to. And I have no clue why a few prominent posters on here have such difficulties admitting a management error.

We would still have the same problem with our top 6. The team needs Kassian to become that formidable, physical winger who punishes the other team every time he is on the ice. You could put Grabner with the Sedins, of course, if you want to see them get run over even more than they do now.

Of course you never said it, because you're not that absolute (like nobody is).

To make it easier, though, let's hear a move of Gillis' that you feel was WRONG. And don't include the Hodgson tongue-lashing that we all acknowledge was ridiculous. I'm talking a personnel move, which was an error.

Or, Gillis could actually address the toughness situation, which has existed ever since his arrival. He's tried and failed with many quasi-tough guys in the past, guys like O'Brien, Bitz, Wiese, Duco, Hordichuk, etc.

Like Gino said on the radio a couple of weeks ago, a goon still DOES serve a purpose. If he had a guy like Gino on our team, again, Keith probably would not have concussed Daniel. Or, maybe the team wouldn't be such a bunch of wimps and they'd actually REACT to what Keith did, and do it to one of their guys. But, nope, that's not the Canuck way, and that's why it'll keep happening unless it's addressed.

I have been thinking over the whole protective goon thing and, unless that goon is on the ice to prevent the hit, Keith still makes that hit. Concussions are an epidemic in the NHL at this point, regardless of the team's toughness. If the Canucks could get a guy who can hit, fight and play more than a handful of minutes a game, I would be the first to cheer if we got him, but a five minute a game goon doesn't do anything to prevent those hits.

Never have I said that Grabner is a perfect player.

But who would you rather have? Keith Ballard and Victor Oreskovich, or Steve Bernier, Michael Grabner, and Quinton Howden? That's what it boils down to. And I have no clue why a few prominent posters on here have such difficulties admitting a management error.

Yes he does. Because the other teams knows that if someone is to cheap shot a guy on their team, they're going to get their asses kicked. Maybe not them, but someone. A star player. An eye for an eye.

Frankly, nobody on our team has the balls, at this point. But do you think Gino would've let a team get away with someone doing that to Pavel? Not bloody likely. That's why it's teams like us that get cheap-shotted, and not the Boston's, or the Anaheim's, the Calgary's, etc.

Archived