The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

Not really on a few fronts, Joslin and Mullen aren't NHL calibre depth dmen which is what I think people were looking for. We also let a (arguably) top 4 dman in Salo go and the Garrison contract is a gamble given length/history.

Don't feel bad for the guy at all, it's been a pretty mediocre off-season but agreed some of the interweb folk complain unnecessarily.

Anyone else feel bad for Poile? Why would you feel bad for Gilly? In terms of GMs he's probably got one of the top 5 most enviable jobs in the league. He was handed a great team, with owners who spend to the cap. Canadian market. Yea he has to put up with media and fan bullsheet on the regular but there are much worse things.

The only real mistake Gillis has made was the Ballard trade.

The Sturm signing was also tough but he flipped him and samuellson for Booth.

I think Gillis is a great GM and either Luongo expands his list to make it competitive , or Gillis hangs onto him.

You and countless others have said this same thing on the topic. But just because other teams are interested in the same player, doesn't excuse Gillis from not making ANY effort to try and secure him. That logic is the thought-process of losers. And a loser is what Gillis has been acting like for far too long. He sits on the roster of great players that was assembled by smarter men before him, and doesn't try to use this luxury of talent and money currently possessed by the organization to add anything meaningful himself. Gillis = overrated smugness.

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.

lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

There are not many high quality free agents out there. The Canucks got one of them at what looks like a reasonable price.

Only one team (Minnesota) has made a big acquisition so far, and they probably overpaid. Among the other 29, MG is doing as well as anyone, pending the outcome of the Weber situation.

You and countless others have said this same thing on the topic. But just because other teams are interested in the same player, doesn't excuse Gillis from not making ANY effort to try and secure him. That logic is the thought-process of losers. And a loser is what Gillis has been acting like for far too long. He sits on the roster of great players that was assembled by smarter men before him, and doesn't try to use this luxury of talent and money currently possessed by the organization to add anything meaningful himself. Gillis = overrated smugness.

I am sure gillis doesn't read these boards, and even doubt he reads local papers for their opinions on him.

And no I don't feel bad for a guy making millions to do what almost everyone on this site want to do, manage the Canucks

Canucks' fanbase is illustrated by the people in this city who complain about it being cold and rainy and as soon as the sun comes out it's just too damn hot. That is our fanbase in a nutshell.

Fools who don't remember how it was when the team was terrible all the time and think y'all are entitled to 100-win seasons and playoff contention, newsflash: it ain't easy, it ain't the status quo. This is the longest run of prolonged success in franchise history and douchebags are gonna ruin it with their lack of satisfaction and their constant quibbling and complaining, I will not have it! It's time for idiots out there to gain some perspective, this is not EA Sports, you can't just sign everyone who's a 90+ rating! It's real life and this team is doing very well, don't ruin it again like people did after '94, we could have a run of real sustained success for like the first time ever if people would just restrain themselves from tearing a good team apart, good management, good coaching (yes!) and good organization, just tearing it apart at the seams. For God's sake if you are a fan of the team then support the team instead of trying to destroy them!

The only real mistake Gillis has made was the Ballard trade.

The Sturm signing was also tough but he flipped him and samuellson for Booth.

I think Gillis is a great GM and either Luongo expands his list to make it competitive , or Gillis hangs onto him.

I am sure gillis doesn't read these boards, and even doubt he reads local papers for their opinions on him.

And no I don't feel bad for a guy making millions to do what almost everyone on this site want to do, manage the Canucks

A few rambling thoughts:

1. I'm beginning to think the Aquilini divorce is getting into this more than they thought.

2. After seeing the Weber contract, with his $1 million cap hit per season, this makes point #1 more glaring.

3. I happen to admire the fact he's not about rushing around, trying to sign every last POS that's out there.

4. Last I saw, even though he may end up being a blight on the team, Semin is still available.

In short, this summer isn't as big a bust as we think. The Sundin saga is still reaping benefits with the Sedins and Kesler. I like what Gillis has done (other than the handling of Hodgson). Getting pretty much the whole core to sign at a discount, speaks volumes on how he treats players; they want to play here.

My two cents

Well Gillis didn't have a bad offseason so far and Garrison was a solid signing at a good deal for a UFA in this market, but there is no doubt about some disappointment with not landing Weber who our team needs NOW or Schultz who our future needs and both being BC boys who were very interested and wanting to sign here. I think it's more about some or many fans being disappointed that Gillis was unable to land a player that wanted to sign here, Schultz was said to be a Canuck but after the interviews this changed, Weber had us on his list on team he would want to be apart of but Gillis never made an offer and the disappointment of Gillis striking out on both highly regard UFA/RFA is expected.

Archived