The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

I think people should understand why there are guys who aren't happy about how much/little Gillis is doing. With the Sedins getting older and older, our window for the Cup is starting to close. This team has never EVER won a Stanley Cup, and our best shot at one is right now, and not in 5 years. It's not strange that the fans desperately wants a cup.

And on top of that, good contracts will expire for us next season, players such as Lapierre,Higgins,Edler and especially Burrows will all seek raises. Our prospect pool is pretty weak, even though we have solid prospects who might be able to become solid top4/top6 guys, we still don't really have those "A" prospects who have the potential to become real superstars. We do have high-potential guys like Kassian and Jensen, but they have yet not proved anything at the NHL-level. What i'm saying is that it will be hard for this team to replace guys like the Sedins.

When we lost Ehrhoff, Gillis didn't do anything to fill that hole. He didn't do anything to improve the team at all last off-season. He did a questionable move when he signed Sturm, and that's pretty much all he did on the free-agency. I'm satisfied he have signed so many players to good contracts. I believe he has been important for this team's evolution. But i don't think he has done enough (obviously), and sometimes, you get the feeling that he is too laid back, using 2011s free-agency especially, as an example.

Canucks can't give up the future for Weber.

Mitchell had concussion issues.

Ehrhoff wanted way the hell more than he deserved.

And of course, if they didn't work out, the haters would have been criticizing those moves had Gillis made them in the first place, even though that is what they wanted him to do.

Gillis is having a great summer.

Goldfish memory span anyone?

Priority #1 - sign Schneider before July 1st. Done deal. Avoid offer sheets, no pressure to move Luongo. Major coup.

Priority #2 - sign Garrison. Big, versatile, two-way, 23 minute blueliner entering his prime, who wants to be here, signed below what market value was commanding. Done deal. Sami Salo was my favorite Canuck, but this is a move that a GM has to make/take advantage of. Not being able to sign Schultz and Salo are relative moot points. I don't care much what Ballard haters have to say - he is a solid guy and a luxury in the 5 spot, and I would not give you Tanev for Schultz, certainly not at this point. with the window wide open (not to mention his cap hit is 900k, where Schultz's is 3.75m).

So far, the summer is going swimmingly. Keep reeling them in GMMG.

Fortune smiled upon the Canucks at the draft with Gaunce still available when they picked in the 1st round.

What has yet to unfold.

Priority #3 - upgrade the top six with a (power) forward if at all possible. Whereas it looked doubtful Doan left Phoenix, it now looks entirely possible, with the Canucks pursuing the best option available and as good a chance as anyone of signing Doan. Whether or not he chooses Vancouver, MG and LG are putting their best, most reasonable feet forward. Once Doan's decision is known, the Canucks will have a clearer picture of their roster needs and cap space.

Being a player in the Weber sweepstakes is over-rated. Nashville holds the cards, whether people realize this or not. The minimum price to acquire Weber - 4 firsts, 110 million and 14 years is too much, and still likely not enough to get it done - makes perfect sense to drop out of that one. The Canucks depth on the blueline is already solid - many people seem to under-value the top 5, and have the improvement of young players in the system (Tanev, Sauve, Connauton) as blind-spots.

Priority #4 - get a market value return in the Luongo deal. Gillis has played his cards well. Luongo's value is not going down anytime soon - the original lowballing and distortions regarding his contract have come into clearer perspective - free agent frenzy, the re-upping of goaltenders with worse dollar values than Luongo's contract, and lack of alternatives on the market only fortify Gillis' position of holding out. Gillis has Luongo's considerable trade value on reserve - at the very least Gillis will be able to acquire a player or two who add depth to the top six, a third line center or a right handed blueliner. Regardless, the Canucks have very viable players in the system without the additon of Doan or the Luongo deal.

Right now there have been two huge moves completed, and the potential for another two huge moves that could seriously upgrade an already deep team.

Seems only fitting that people would be complaining.

I don't feel bad for Gillis.

Weber's agent said himself the contract world changed after the Suter/Parise signing. so it depends when GMMG met with them. if they met before, they probably discussed a shorter term. if they met after Mg maybe didn't wanna go 14yrs

let's be honest, 14yrs?! Weber is awesome but most people on here don't like Luongo's contract. he was THE man at the time he signed his contract. length was even way shorter. I love Luongo but it kinda got the Canucks in a situation here (lot of money blocked for G, almost untradeable etc)

I, for one, am glad he didn't offer 14 yrs!

PS: stop with the Ballard trade. arguably, he didn't work out (yet) but at that time I bet 98% loved the signing!! hindsight is 20/20.

I've known who Garrison was for a few seasons. This guy is big, can lay the body and has a slapshot this team has been missing for a long time. Forget Salo. He was injured every other game. He's our next Willie mitchell with goal scoring upside.

So first everyone wanted a top 4 d-man.

He got Garisson. But still people complained

Then people say we need depth d-men

He gets Mullen and Joslin. But still people complained

And then it was "LUONGO NEEDS TO BE TRADED ASAP" and he needs to get Campbell, Weiss, Huberdeau and Versteeg or else its a failure

Now its "GILLIS SUCKS CAUSE HE DIDNT SIGN SHEA WEBER TO AN 82-year, 900 Billion Dollar CONTRACT!!!!!!"

Give the guy a break, just cause he dosent sign

all the free agents dosent mean he should be fired

Regards,

CH9

Mitchell's health status was up in the air, and MG wasn't willing to throw a good amount of cash at him if it wasn't going to be put to good use. It was a choice between a player who has paid his dues with the organization, most likely is a bigger leader in the room, bonds well with everyone, leads on the ice in Bieksa, or Ehrhoff. Dicked around with Salo? Oh, please. It was Salo who was the one screwing around. He really wanted a deal like what he got from Tampa? Yeah, see you later Sami. He didn't go all out on Weber because they've openly stated that they think NSH would match anything.

MG didn't get Cody "angry", AV was helping his development, and he cried about it until he was moved. Good riddance. MG had Schultz fall into his lap? Oh? Schultz said he was viewing Edmonton all along, so please tell me more about he fell right into MG's lap. Ballard is a hit or miss, it just hasn't worked out however. This is likely one deal I'd likely take back, or redo over again. Re-signing a coach that makes players wait an ice age? Hmm, I guess you're forgetting this is the same coach that developed Kesler, Burrows, Edler etc etc to the players they are today.

Guest gumballthechewy

You and countless others have said this same thing on the topic. But just because other teams are interested in the same player, doesn't excuse Gillis from not making ANY effort to try and secure him. That logic is the thought-process of losers. And a loser is what Gillis has been acting like for far too long. He sits on the roster of great players that was assembled by smarter men before him, and doesn't try to use this luxury of talent and money currently possessed by the organization to add anything meaningful himself. Gillis = overrated smugness.

Archived