The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

Doing nothing but wishing you could secure a certain player and/or speaking to people on your staff about possibly getting that player is the same as doing absolutely nothing in this league. Gillis has millions of dollars at his disposal due to a millionaire owner and a rabid fan base, and the only thing he does to try to get a key player who most GMs usually only have the opportunity to secure once in their careers is have a f***ing meeting with him. If he deserves some type of credit for doing only that, then so do the management teams of Detroit, San Jose, New York, and Philadelphia. But no one is singing the first three groups' praises for doing the bare minimum--and yet that's exactly what you two are essentially doing for Gillis. Make excuses for him all you want, but he has done almost nothing commendable his entire tenure with Vancouver, aside from hang on to players that were here prior to his arrival. The Weber situation is just another illustration of Gillis being unable to go "out-of-house" in any manner because of his preference to do nothing.

Who cares if Joslin and Mullen suck? I feel like our defence is kinda like the Hawks, no matter how bad and terrible you are, unless you make the most blantant and obvious mistakes, our defence will make you look good.

Look at Sulzer, people on this board actually think he's good. (I don't care how many points he got on the Sabres.. They're probably the same people who use Gragnani's 7 points as a reason to tell me he's good)

Gillis has only made two big mistakes so far in my mind. The Sundin signing was a mistake in terms of overpayment and underachievement by Sundin, but his experience benefited the team a lot.

His only two mistakes.

1. The Ballard trade

2. The Hodgson trade

The Hodgson trade will likely end up being a HUGE mistake, but because MG has done so much good for this team in getting other bargains, I'm able to look past his mistakes.

The only real mistake Gillis has made was the Ballard trade.

The Sturm signing was also tough but he flipped him and samuellson for Booth.

I think Gillis is a great GM and either Luongo expands his list to make it competitive , or Gillis hangs onto him.

The Sundin signing was ridiculous (he was clearly over the hill)...the Booth signing is just another no skill but fast forward with no hands ....Hodgson was simply badly managed by the coach (not sure you can blame the GM for this however)...losing Rome makes no sense (one of our more reliable D last year)...losing Salo is going to hurt.....I wished we still had Mitchell....didnt he trade away Michael Grabner??......we should have kept Wellwood (we desperately need some skill at centre ice on the 2nd line)...and how on earth did he get conned into the Luongo contract?......

I would concede that there have been some good signings however (Hamhuis and Higgins come to mind) and I am glad to see he has enough common sense to not give up on Mason Raymond

Nevertheless his performance to date is less than stellar in my mind and I would give him a C minus at best.

I feel the Ballard trade was the dumbest considering what we had to give up. Sundin was simply owner cash and while he did suck most of the time, he really did bring a locker room presence for the Sedins and Kesler.

I was against letting Erhoff walk but I realize Erhoff wanted to walk so it was over payment or nothing.

Signing Sturm is still a head scratcher but it got us Booth so I am ok with it.

I dont know why he let Rome walk but I am sure he has his reasons.

I feel the Ballard trade was the dumbest considering what we had to give up. Sundin was simply owner cash and while he did suck most of the time, he really did bring a locker room presence for the Sedins and Kesler.

I was against letting Erhoff walk but I realize Erhoff wanted to walk so it was over payment or nothing.

Signing Sturm is still a head scratcher but it got us Booth so I am ok with it.

I dont know why he let Rome walk but I am sure he has his reasons.

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.

lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

The Sundin signing was ridiculous (he was clearly over the hill)...the Booth signing is just another no skill but fast forward with no hands ....Hodgson was simply badly managed by the coach (not sure you can blame the GM for this however)...losing Rome makes no sense (one of our more reliable D last year)...losing Salo is going to hurt.....I wished we still had Mitchell....didnt he trade away Michael Grabner??......we should have kept Wellwood (we desperately need some skill at centre ice on the 2nd line)...and how on earth did he get conned into the Luongo contract?......

I would concede that there have been some good signings however (Hamhuis and Higgins come to mind) and I am glad to see he has enough common sense to not give up on Mason Raymond

Nevertheless his performance to date is less than stellar in my mind and I would give him a C minus at best.

What did we give up?

An overpaid 3rd line grinder

A bottom end 1st round pick

A prospect we were going to lose to waivers

Ballard may not have panned out as expected but the only thing Florida really got out of it was that bottom end 1st rounder. Grabner couldn't even crack their offense starved roster. He sure as hell wasn't going to beat any of our top six (all of them coming off a career year) for a spot.

I know you guys hate to admit it but Grabner had to be moved. Look no further than Florida for the reason why. And we weren't offensively starved like them at the time.

Bernier was a salary dump in the deal. Nothing more. Florida taking his salary is part of the reason they got Grabner along with the first rounder. People here had Bernier labelled "a bust" at the time. Think of this way: Was Linden worth a first round pick when we got him back from Washington? No. He was an aging third line player at the time. But the Caps ate a good portion of his salary on his remaining two years in the deal which is why they got a 1st round for him. Had we taken Lindens full salary he likely would have cost a 2nd round pick or possibly less. Compensation for taking salary.

The low end 1st rounder was the biggest piece in the deal as Grabner was a wild card given his waiver status and training camp history. Florida knew taking Gabner was a gamble. Bernier was a cap dump. Which is why a 1st round pick went with them. And two years later that 1st rounder hasn't paid off for Florida. So even though Ballard hasn't lived up to his billing we're still ahead on that deal. We have something while Florida has what?

A gamble, a salary dump, and a bottom end 1st rounder wasn't a bad trade for Ballard considering how he had played prior to arriving here. It was a trade that made a lot of sense when it was made.

I'm not justifying it "after the fact". I knew Grabner would be moved. Most here are crying about it "after the fact".

Archived