Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
329 replies to this topic

#31 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

I am sure gillis doesn't read these boards, and even doubt he reads local papers for their opinions on him.

And no I don't feel bad for a guy making millions to do what almost everyone on this site want to do, manage the Canucks

Bring Back the Totems!

#32 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Canucks' fanbase is illustrated by the people in this city who complain about it being cold and rainy and as soon as the sun comes out it's just too damn hot. That is our fanbase in a nutshell.

Fools who don't remember how it was when the team was terrible all the time and think y'all are entitled to 100-win seasons and playoff contention, newsflash: it ain't easy, it ain't the status quo. This is the longest run of prolonged success in franchise history and douchebags are gonna ruin it with their lack of satisfaction and their constant quibbling and complaining, I will not have it! It's time for idiots out there to gain some perspective, this is not EA Sports, you can't just sign everyone who's a 90+ rating! It's real life and this team is doing very well, don't ruin it again like people did after '94, we could have a run of real sustained success for like the first time ever if people would just restrain themselves from tearing a good team apart, good management, good coaching (yes!) and good organization, just tearing it apart at the seams. For God's sake if you are a fan of the team then support the team instead of trying to destroy them!

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#33 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

The only real mistake Gillis has made was the Ballard trade.

The Sturm signing was also tough but he flipped him and samuellson for Booth.

I think Gillis is a great GM and either Luongo expands his list to make it competitive , or Gillis hangs onto him.

That trade wasn't a mistake. We had no idea Hamhuis would come or not.

#34 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

I am sure gillis doesn't read these boards, and even doubt he reads local papers for their opinions on him.

And no I don't feel bad for a guy making millions to do what almost everyone on this site want to do, manage the Canucks

No, i don't think ppl want to manage the Canucks. Imagine being responsible for destroying your own team. :(

......by trading away every player when they have a bad game. lol

#35 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

A few rambling thoughts:

1. I'm beginning to think the Aquilini divorce is getting into this more than they thought.

2. After seeing the Weber contract, with his $1 million cap hit per season, this makes point #1 more glaring.

3. I happen to admire the fact he's not about rushing around, trying to sign every last POS that's out there.

4. Last I saw, even though he may end up being a blight on the team, Semin is still available.

In short, this summer isn't as big a bust as we think. The Sundin saga is still reaping benefits with the Sedins and Kesler. I like what Gillis has done (other than the handling of Hodgson). Getting pretty much the whole core to sign at a discount, speaks volumes on how he treats players; they want to play here.

My two cents

#36 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Please tell me more about wanting to spend 3.750M for two years with a modified NMC on a 37 year old who is injury prone.

Gillis offered 3 million,not 3.75. That three million offer more than likely came after the TB offer.

Salo averaged 66 games played per year over his career with the Nucks.

Salo scored 25 points last year and led all Nucks d men in PP goals scored,playing second line minutes for $2 million.

Besides Garrison's one big year/point totals playing alongside a Norris finalist last season, Salo has matched or beat Garrison's prior best point total (18 pts) in eleven playing seasons,eight as a Canuck.

Edited by nuck nit, 21 July 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#37 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Well Gillis didn't have a bad offseason so far and Garrison was a solid signing at a good deal for a UFA in this market, but there is no doubt about some disappointment with not landing Weber who our team needs NOW or Schultz who our future needs and both being BC boys who were very interested and wanting to sign here. I think it's more about some or many fans being disappointed that Gillis was unable to land a player that wanted to sign here, Schultz was said to be a Canuck but after the interviews this changed, Weber had us on his list on team he would want to be apart of but Gillis never made an offer and the disappointment of Gillis striking out on both highly regard UFA/RFA is expected.

#38 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

1. I'm beginning to think the Aquilini divorce is getting into this more than they thought.

Yes, things could be a little tight right now....
Posted Image

#39 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

No, i don't think ppl want to manage the Canucks. Imagine being responsible for destroying your own team. :(

......by trading away every player when they have a bad game. lol

despite all the terrible proposals, there are some on here that could manage a team half decently

Bring Back the Totems!

#40 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Oh rlry?!

#41 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.
lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

You've started a few topics on this. You do you realize that the amount of times you say something has no correlation with it's truthfulness.
In hindsight, Mitchell's health was better than expected, but we weren't willing to take the risk at the time, especially when we next season acquired Ballard and Hamhuis later in the offseason.
Ehrhoff wanted too much money (for that season, the cap has gone up since then), and a bigger contract then we were willing to provide. Everyone complains about Luongo, Booth and Ballard's contracts, but whine that we let other players walk when they want those SAME contracts. It's an impossible double standard that you hold up MG to.
Dicked Salo? He let Salo go, how is that dicking him around? Salo wanted something different than what MG wanted, so the two parted ways, no drama. People would have complained that if Salo was still in the top 4 this season, saying it wasn't solid enough. And he would have to share minutes with Tanev on the 6th spot, not really ideal, is it? There was no room on the roster for a veteran like him, without disrespecting him by slashing his minutes (which he deserves) on the 6th spot, (especially when our rookies like Tanev and Sauve need more ice time) and on top of that his contract was too long.
People still complain about the Sundin contract. A contract that did nothing to harm the team. It only lasted a single season, and was back when we had the space. Besides, you aren't going to listen to the benefits of his presence almost all the players here at the time acknowledge.
Hodgson trade? Hodgson was not going to be useful in the playoffs last season, because he was a defensive liability and Pahlsson was going to take his 3rd line duties. That would make Hodgson the fourth line center. Kassian in the future looks to have real potential as well, but is bigger, meaner, and a power forward, something that is rare in the NHL.
Are you really that simple to believe that Schultz would only sign with Vancouver? No, he wanted Edmonton, where he could get the minutes. Our depth chart is Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Ballard, then it would be Schultz. He didn't want to work for the minutes. Do you really think it would be wise to give top minutes to a rookie over Edler or Bieksa? MG gave him his best pitch, Edmonton's was better. How is that complicated? Our situation is not the same thing as Edmonton! Simple.
The Ballard trade in hindsight not as successful as hoped for, but he had promise, and not every player deals well with a new environment. How many other players succeeded that season, other than Ballard (Torres, Hamhuis, Malhotra, etc).
AV with rookies? You are oversimplifying this as well. It is easy to judge from the outside when you have no idea what actually goes on inside the locker room, and have a limited view of practices. Besides, he developed the core just fine. He doesn't rush them the same as Edmonton, but some fans are just impatient.
The glass is still half full, we are not like Nashville or Detroit, where their teams are going the wrong direction this offseason, or Calgary or CBJ where their teams are just floundering. Patience is key. Rash decisions are not good ones, stop being so impatient.

#42 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Why do people continuously claim MG didn't show any interest in Weber? It's like people just make crap up as they go along to 'prove' their point.

Doing nothing but wishing you could secure a certain player and/or speaking to people on your staff about possibly getting that player is the same as doing absolutely nothing in this league. Gillis has millions of dollars at his disposal due to a millionaire owner and a rabid fan base, and the only thing he does to try to get a key player who most GMs usually only have the opportunity to secure once in their careers is have a f***ing meeting with him. If he deserves some type of credit for doing only that, then so do the management teams of Detroit, San Jose, New York, and Philadelphia. But no one is singing the first three groups' praises for doing the bare minimum--and yet that's exactly what you two are essentially doing for Gillis. Make excuses for him all you want, but he has done almost nothing commendable his entire tenure with Vancouver, aside from hang on to players that were here prior to his arrival. The Weber situation is just another illustration of Gillis being unable to go "out-of-house" in any manner because of his preference to do nothing.

#43 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,280 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Gillis offered 3 million,not 3.75. That three million offer more than likely came after the TB offer.

Salo averaged 66 games played per year over his career with the Nucks.

Salo scored 25 points last year and led all Nucks d men in PP goals scored,playing second line minutes for $2 million.

Besides Garrison's one big year/point totals playing alongside a Norris finalist last season, Salo has matched or beat Garrison's prior best point total (18 pts) in eleven playing seasons,eight as a Canuck.

I don't care about Salo's past regarding his future. He's not reliable anymore, and I give a huge thumbs up to MG for not paying 3M for TWO years for a 3rd pairing defensemen.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#44 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Why everyone thinks the real world is NHL12 is beyond me.

We landed Garrison.

What did DET, PIT, CHI, BOS get?

Holy hell, people are crazy.

A stanley cup :(
Posted Image

#45 BlurTriX

BlurTriX

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.
lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

Yet after all that we won the Presidents Trophy...

Untitled.png

#46 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,147 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

although I ranted above, I do agree that I think Gillis and his crew seem to be among the nest managing team we have had-I say this beacuase I thought he did a very strong job the first two years here. I would have to say, the last two years have been a disappointment.

The two years we won the Presiden't Trophy and lost first in Game 7 of the stanley cup final and then to the eventual cinderella Kings cup campions have been the 'disapointing' years for you? Man...i don't want to be at your house for icecream and cake...you must want to slit your wrists!

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#47 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

I don't care about Salo's past regarding his future. He's not reliable anymore, and I give a huge thumbs up to MG for not paying 3M for TWO years for a 3rd pairing defensemen.

Gillis and his team's #1 stated priority on July 1st was to re-sign Salo. They failed.

#48 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Doing nothing but wishing you could secure a certain player and/or speaking to people on your staff about possibly getting that player is the same as doing absolutely nothing in this league. Gillis has millions of dollars at his disposal due to a millionaire owner and a rabid fan base, and the only thing he does to try to get a key player who most GMs usually only have the opportunity to secure once in their careers is have a f***ing meeting with him. If he deserves some type of credit for doing only that, then so do the management teams of Detroit, San Jose, New York, and Philadelphia. But no one is singing the first three groups' praises for doing the bare minimum--and yet that's exactly what you two are essentially doing for Gillis. Make excuses for him all you want, but he has done almost nothing commendable his entire tenure with Vancouver, aside from hang on to players that were here prior to his arrival. The Weber situation is just another illustration of Gillis being unable to go "out-of-house" in any manner because of his preference to do nothing.

MG has done plenty for this team during his tenure. Hamhuis, Garrison, Higgins, Lapierre, Tanev are all good acquisitions for us. He also signed a lot of our core players to well below their market value. That's FAR from doing "almost nothing commendable during his tenure".

And what else would you specifically have MG do besides meeting with Weber and trying to get him to sign with us? If he didn't want to sign with us, there's not much else we can do about it. We certainly can't match the sort of money Philly is trying to throw at him, anybody with a rudimentary understanding of the salary cap knows this. We have something around $3m in cap space left, even if we trade Luongo we'd still be short of the type of money Philly is offering. That and some of our core players need to be given raises and re-signed next year.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 21 July 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#49 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

That trade wasn't a mistake. We had no idea Hamhuis would come or not.

Perhaps we should have waited.
Posted Image

#50 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Lu expands his list? There's not a doubt in my mind Lu Would go anywhere. Maybe not CbJ but still I'd be surprised. The guys got 7 plus years left in his career. A lot can happen in that time with rebuilding teams. La was a joke 4 seasons ago and they beat us to the cup. No one wants Lu right now. This Isn't me knocking him. I think he's a great goalie who will make the hall. This league is more supply demand than it is overall rating on NHL 14. Lu wants to move on. He said so himself. There was this general
Misconception he wouldn't waive his NTC at all. LOL. This city has treated him like sheet. Media fans alike. No one will cave to MGs asking price til its either lowered or more teams enter the sweepstakes. I hope for our teams sake it's the latter or a team goes balls deep for Cory.

I have to disagree with these statements.
Posted Image

#51 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Gillis and his team's #1 stated priority on July 1st was to re-sign Salo. They failed.

I would like to see this quote.
Posted Image

#52 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

For Gillis mistakes the Erhoff, Higgins and Lapierre trade, signing of Hamhuis all offset it. I would say hes done more good then bad.

Higgins and Lappy were fine additions

Edited by Monteeun, 21 July 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#53 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

To all the CDC'ers who are happy Gillis has done squat you are crazy. Yeah, being a GM in the NHL is not like simulation mode in NHL 12 but Gillis should have done A LOT more. This team got kicked out of the playoffs in the first round, I do not care if they lost to the cup champs as they lost as #1 seed to an 8th freakin seed.

He then goes on to give an extension to a coach that was as responsible as anyone for the momentous collapse. Even Gillis indicated AV was when he said that "the team checked out in January after the game against Boston" (good coaches prevent teams from checking out halfway through the season in a meaningless game).

He addresses 0 problems in free agency. Lets Salo go for a guy who had 1 good season and gives that individual a 6 year contract for above market money.

He lost the Justin Schultz sweepstake and the Shea Weber sweepstake even though we have been told numerous times by Gillis that the Canucks are a premiere destination for free agents. Well that is quite funny, because one of the most coveted UFA's and the most coveted RFA, who were from BC decided not to sign with the Canucks.

He has also played ridiculously high ball with the Luongo situation and has not dealt him while trying to insist he does not have to deal him even though Luongo has said he wants to get traded (essentially it is an idiot at the poker table who is raising and keeps trying to show he has cards even though everyone at the table knows it is a bluff).

If you want to feel bad for Gillis keep doing so eventhough there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to do so. In fact I would say you have all the reason to feel disappointed rather than "bad"

#54 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Higgins and Lappy were fine additions

Agreed

I dont get that one either. They were great pickups. Cheap as hell.
Posted Image

#55 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

To all the CDC'ers who are happy Gillis has done squat you are crazy. Yeah, being a GM in the NHL is not like simulation mode in NHL 12 but Gillis should have done A LOT more. This team got kicked out of the playoffs in the first round, I do not care if they lost to the cup champs as they lost as #1 seed to an 8th freakin seed.

He then goes on to give an extension to a coach that was as responsible as anyone for the momentous collapse. Even Gillis indicated AV was when he said that "the team checked out in January after the game against Boston" (good coaches prevent teams from checking out halfway through the season in a meaningless game).

He addresses 0 problems in free agency. Lets Salo go for a guy who had 1 good season and gives that individual a 6 year contract for above market money.

He lost the Justin Schultz sweepstake and the Shea Weber sweepstake even though we have been told numerous times by Gillis that the Canucks are a premiere destination for free agents. Well that is quite funny, because one of the most coveted UFA's and the most coveted RFA, who were from BC decided not to sign with the Canucks.

He has also played ridiculously high ball with the Luongo situation and has not dealt him while trying to insist he does not have to deal him even though Luongo has said he wants to get traded (essentially it is an idiot at the poker table who is raising and keeps trying to show he has cards even though everyone at the table knows it is a bluff).

If you want to feel bad for Gillis keep doing so eventhough there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to do so. In fact I would say you have all the reason to feel disappointed rather than "bad"

Garrison has been good defensively with Florida in the couple of seasons. Even if he doesn't produce as much compared to his last season, he can become a good shutdown d-man while Edler provides the offence. We were also never going to get Weber. He wanted big bucks over playing for his hometown and knowing MG, Weber would have never been offered the kind of money Holmgren offered. Any offer sheet from us would have been matched.

#56 van_ws

van_ws

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Nope, Gillis has not done his job so far this offseason... get cracking, there is much work to be done.

Right now, he has addressed none of the key needs of the team. They are simply not good enough as it stands.

#57 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I love Salo, but I think it was pretty apparent he was slowing down the last season or two. His skating was noticeably sluggish most of the time, and his durability was an issue (constant injury problems). In Garrison we get someone who is much younger, presumably more durable, can put up at least as many points as Sami if not more, and who is big and strong and will add toughness to our team. So we got younger and tougher with Garrison, which is why I disagree with your statement that Gillis did nothing to address the team's issues in the off-season.

As to us losing the Schultz/Weber sweepstakes, the players ultimately decide where they sign. All MG can do is do his best to tell them they are welcome and offer them as much as is reasonable without ruining the team's finances. I'd like to hear what specific suggestions you have that MG could have done to land them if they didn't want to sign here? Schultz is a young D-man who would have been behind many of our established D-men on the depth chart, so he opted to go to a younger team in Edmonton where his role will be more prominent. Not much MG can do about that.

Weber *IS* the captain of Nashville and probably was leaning toward signing an offer sheet to an Eastern team, so as not to compete directly with his old team that he gave many good years to. That was probably a factor, but also the money. I can't see how the Canucks could afford him at Philly prices without some very radical moves.

Finally, as for Luongo, good. MG should be patient and should get a good return for Luongo, who is a top notch starting goalie and worth quite a bit. We don't have a backup so MG should hold onto Luongo until he can get the return this team needs, rushing things and getting under-paid for Luongo is the wrong move for the long haul.

#58 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

1: To be fair, Justin had no chance of coming here. If what was said is true, there is no way we were gonna give him top four minutes. So, there wouldn't be a chance in hell of signing Justin.

2: You complain about Jason Garrison but have no issues with Shultz? That is an amazing brain processing ability.

3: I would love to have Weber but if i'm correct, Weber is from BC but is not necessarily a Canucks fan. It doesn't mean he really really wants to be here. Also i'm not sure we have the room for what he may be demanding.

4: We have more than enough time to deal with the Luongo situation. No need to rush.

Edited by Monteeun, 21 July 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#59 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Is that you BunBun?? .. or just a coincidence? .. oh so easy to "hate' when protected by anonymity ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#60 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I love Salo, but I think it was pretty apparent he was slowing down the last season or two. His skating was noticeably sluggish most of the time, and his durability was an issue (constant injury problems). In Garrison we get someone who is much younger, presumably more durable, can put up at least as many points as Sami if not more, and who is big and strong and will add toughness to our team. So we got younger and tougher with Garrison, which is why I disagree with your statement that Gillis did nothing to address the team's issues in the off-season.

As to us losing the Schultz/Weber sweepstakes, the players ultimately decide where they sign. All MG can do is do his best to tell them they are welcome and offer them as much as is reasonable without ruining the team's finances. I'd like to hear what specific suggestions you have that MG could have done to land them if they didn't want to sign here? Schultz is a young D-man who would have been behind many of our established D-men on the depth chart, so he opted to go to a younger team in Edmonton where his role will be more prominent. Not much MG can do about that.

Weber *IS* the captain of Nashville and probably was leaning toward signing an offer sheet to an Eastern team, so as not to compete directly with his old team that he gave many good years to. That was probably a factor, but also the money. I can't see how the Canucks could afford him at Philly prices without some very radical moves.

Finally, as for Luongo, good. MG should be patient and should get a good return for Luongo, who is a top notch starting goalie and worth quite a bit. We don't have a backup so MG should hold onto Luongo until he can get the return this team needs, rushing things and getting under-paid for Luongo is the wrong move for the long haul.

I agree. Good post.
I think so too. Exercise a little patience.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.