The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.

lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

Gillis offered 3 million,not 3.75. That three million offer more than likely came after the TB offer.

Salo averaged 66 games played per year over his career with the Nucks.

Salo scored 25 points last year and led all Nucks d men in PP goals scored,playing second line minutes for $2 million.

Besides Garrison's one big year/point totals playing alongside a Norris finalist last season, Salo has matched or beat Garrison's prior best point total (18 pts) in eleven playing seasons,eight as a Canuck.

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.

lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

although I ranted above, I do agree that I think Gillis and his crew seem to be among the nest managing team we have had-I say this beacuase I thought he did a very strong job the first two years here. I would have to say, the last two years have been a disappointment.

Doing nothing but wishing you could secure a certain player and/or speaking to people on your staff about possibly getting that player is the same as doing absolutely nothing in this league. Gillis has millions of dollars at his disposal due to a millionaire owner and a rabid fan base, and the only thing he does to try to get a key player who most GMs usually only have the opportunity to secure once in their careers is have a f***ing meeting with him. If he deserves some type of credit for doing only that, then so do the management teams of Detroit, San Jose, New York, and Philadelphia. But no one is singing the first three groups' praises for doing the bare minimum--and yet that's exactly what you two are essentially doing for Gillis. Make excuses for him all you want, but he has done almost nothing commendable his entire tenure with Vancouver, aside from hang on to players that were here prior to his arrival. The Weber situation is just another illustration of Gillis being unable to go "out-of-house" in any manner because of his preference to do nothing.

Lu expands his list? There's not a doubt in my mind Lu Would go anywhere. Maybe not CbJ but still I'd be surprised. The guys got 7 plus years left in his career. A lot can happen in that time with rebuilding teams. La was a joke 4 seasons ago and they beat us to the cup. No one wants Lu right now. This Isn't me knocking him. I think he's a great goalie who will make the hall. This league is more supply demand than it is overall rating on NHL 14. Lu wants to move on. He said so himself. There was this general

Misconception he wouldn't waive his NTC at all. LOL. This city has treated him like sheet. Media fans alike. No one will cave to MGs asking price til its either lowered or more teams enter the sweepstakes. I hope for our teams sake it's the latter or a team goes balls deep for Cory.

To all the CDC'ers who are happy Gillis has done squat you are crazy. Yeah, being a GM in the NHL is not like simulation mode in NHL 12 but Gillis should have done A LOT more. This team got kicked out of the playoffs in the first round, I do not care if they lost to the cup champs as they lost as #1 seed to an 8th freakin seed.

He then goes on to give an extension to a coach that was as responsible as anyone for the momentous collapse. Even Gillis indicated AV was when he said that "the team checked out in January after the game against Boston" (good coaches prevent teams from checking out halfway through the season in a meaningless game).

He addresses 0 problems in free agency. Lets Salo go for a guy who had 1 good season and gives that individual a 6 year contract for above market money.

He lost the Justin Schultz sweepstake and the Shea Weber sweepstake even though we have been told numerous times by Gillis that the Canucks are a premiere destination for free agents. Well that is quite funny, because one of the most coveted UFA's and the most coveted RFA, who were from BC decided not to sign with the Canucks.

He has also played ridiculously high ball with the Luongo situation and has not dealt him while trying to insist he does not have to deal him even though Luongo has said he wants to get traded (essentially it is an idiot at the poker table who is raising and keeps trying to show he has cards even though everyone at the table knows it is a bluff).

If you want to feel bad for Gillis keep doing so eventhough there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to do so. In fact I would say you have all the reason to feel disappointed rather than "bad"

To all the CDC'ers who are happy Gillis has done squat you are crazy. Yeah, being a GM in the NHL is not like simulation mode in NHL 12 but Gillis should have done A LOT more. This team got kicked out of the playoffs in the first round, I do not care if they lost to the cup champs as they lost as #1 seed to an 8th freakin seed.

He then goes on to give an extension to a coach that was as responsible as anyone for the momentous collapse. Even Gillis indicated AV was when he said that "the team checked out in January after the game against Boston" (good coaches prevent teams from checking out halfway through the season in a meaningless game).

He addresses 0 problems in free agency. Lets Salo go for a guy who had 1 good season and gives that individual a 6 year contract for above market money.

He lost the Justin Schultz sweepstake and the Shea Weber sweepstake even though we have been told numerous times by Gillis that the Canucks are a premiere destination for free agents. Well that is quite funny, because one of the most coveted UFA's and the most coveted RFA, who were from BC decided not to sign with the Canucks.

He has also played ridiculously high ball with the Luongo situation and has not dealt him while trying to insist he does not have to deal him even though Luongo has said he wants to get traded (essentially it is an idiot at the poker table who is raising and keeps trying to show he has cards even though everyone at the table knows it is a bluff).

If you want to feel bad for Gillis keep doing so eventhough there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to do so. In fact I would say you have all the reason to feel disappointed rather than "bad"

Doing nothing but wishing you could secure a certain player and/or speaking to people on your staff about possibly getting that player is the same as doing absolutely nothing in this league. Gillis has millions of dollars at his disposal due to a millionaire owner and a rabid fan base, and the only thing he does to try to get a key player who most GMs usually only have the opportunity to secure once in their careers is have a f***ing meeting with him. If he deserves some type of credit for doing only that, then so do the management teams of Detroit, San Jose, New York, and Philadelphia. But no one is singing the first three groups' praises for doing the bare minimum--and yet that's exactly what you two are essentially doing for Gillis. Make excuses for him all you want, but he has done almost nothing commendable his entire tenure with Vancouver, aside from hang on to players that were here prior to his arrival. The Weber situation is just another illustration of Gillis being unable to go "out-of-house" in any manner because of his preference to do nothing.

I love Salo, but I think it was pretty apparent he was slowing down the last season or two. His skating was noticeably sluggish most of the time, and his durability was an issue (constant injury problems). In Garrison we get someone who is much younger, presumably more durable, can put up at least as many points as Sami if not more, and who is big and strong and will add toughness to our team. So we got younger and tougher with Garrison, which is why I disagree with your statement that Gillis did nothing to address the team's issues in the off-season.

As to us losing the Schultz/Weber sweepstakes, the players ultimately decide where they sign. All MG can do is do his best to tell them they are welcome and offer them as much as is reasonable without ruining the team's finances. I'd like to hear what specific suggestions you have that MG could have done to land them if they didn't want to sign here? Schultz is a young D-man who would have been behind many of our established D-men on the depth chart, so he opted to go to a younger team in Edmonton where his role will be more prominent. Not much MG can do about that.

Weber *IS* the captain of Nashville and probably was leaning toward signing an offer sheet to an Eastern team, so as not to compete directly with his old team that he gave many good years to. That was probably a factor, but also the money. I can't see how the Canucks could afford him at Philly prices without some very radical moves.

Finally, as for Luongo, good. MG should be patient and should get a good return for Luongo, who is a top notch starting goalie and worth quite a bit. We don't have a backup so MG should hold onto Luongo until he can get the return this team needs, rushing things and getting under-paid for Luongo is the wrong move for the long haul.

Archived