329 replies to this topic

#61 Bijannucksfan

Bijannucksfan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

I feel bad for Dave Poile. He lost Tootoo, Radulov, Suter, and possibly Weber. Only a matter of time before the Kostitsyn bros pack up and leave as well. All that will soon be remaining in Nashville in Fisher and Underwood.

Edited by Bijannucksfan, 21 July 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#62 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

I feel bad for Dave Poile. He lost Tootoo, Radulov, Suter, and possibly Weber. Only a matter of time before the Kostitsyn bros pack up and leave as well. All that will soon be remaining in Nashville in Fisher and Underwood.

Haha
Posted Image

#63 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

I feel bad for the Nashville fans

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#64 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

A lot of post Weber signing whining going on me thinks.
I sure hope Nashville matches and it'll show the cry babies here (you know these "rating the summer of Gillis" types) the reality of the NHL world.

#65 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Oi, so many unleastic expectations and misinterprations on this board. I don't know why I'm replying because there are a lot of people here with there mind made up.

1) Salo. He did not get shafted by Gillis. After last years signing Gillis made it pretty clear that his plan for Salo was to sign him to one year deals until Salo himself decided to retire. Salo decided to go for more money and the security of 2 years. His choice (and I'm sure a hard one for him, but there are some things you just can't pass up I guess). People are also saying we let a top 4 man go. Sami was seriously slowing up towards the end of the season and he wasn't nearly as effective in a top 4 spot. He's now a 5-6 guy on a good team. Meanwhile, Garrison has all the tools that Salo has but younger and is a good #4 guy.

2) Depth on defense. Not sure what more you can expect Gillis to get. Yes, there are better d-men than Joslin or Mullin out there but you can only carry so many defensemen on an NHL roster and d-men better than guys like Joslin would most surely get claimed on recallable waivers when the Canucks try to bring them up. A top six of Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, Tanev then Alberts as 7. Not sexy but still good enough. The Canucks have a few in the AHL aren't chop liver in Joslin, Mullin, K-Conn, and Sauve. Once again, you can't stack you're AHL with NHL defensemen, they will mostly get claimed on waivers when you need them most.

3) Mitchell got shafted by Gillis. Not true. Gillis was so short on D at the time he had to get bodies he knew were able. They would have loved to resign Mitchell but Mitchell couldn't honestly give them the answer that he was 100% healthy, hence the lower offer. The Kings, with a younger team/core, were in the position to take that chance. The Canucks were not. Once again, Gillis offered what he could at the time, he would have offered Mitchell more if Mitchell was able to say he was going to be healthy.

#66 Canucklehead73

Canucklehead73

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Feel bad for Ken Holland and somewhat for Gillis

For Ken Holland

didnt get Suter, Garrison, Weber, or Carle

Gillis
Justin Schtulz and Weber (offer sheet)

Detriot top 4 seem much weaker with Lidstom and Stuart gone

Hmmm maybe a taker for Ballard? lol
Go Canucks Go!

#67 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

And Rinne? I mean, trivial as he is. :P

#68 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Why everyone thinks the real world is NHL12 is beyond me.

We landed

What did DET, PIT, CHI, BOS get?

Holy hell, people are crazy.

You are crazy Penguins got good prospects back in the staal trade and they got a good back up

Edited by Gonz, 21 July 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#69 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

There's a difference between trying to do something without crippling your team, and other GM's who might be more desperate.
I'm more concerned over our scouting. And I was worried about this when he was hired and didn't clean house in our scouting department. (I have no issues with Gradin, but pretty much everyone else should go)

Here's hoping we get lots of pleasant surprises among our prospects and we get a deeper, stronger, and better team than we think.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#70 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Gillis and his team's #1 stated priority on July 1st was to re-sign Salo. They failed.

And I'm quite damn happy they failed. I loved Sami while he was a Canuck, but I don't see any need to pay him 3M for TWO years.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#71 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Fisher could very well be gone in NSH soon as well. This is the last year of his current contract, and he could leave for Free Agency. I could even see him asking for a trade at the deadline to a contender as a rental.

Edited by Bryan McCabe.24, 21 July 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#72 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Nope, Gillis has not done his job so far this offseason... get cracking, there is much work to be done.

Right now, he has addressed none of the key needs of the team. They are simply not good enough as it stands.

They addressed the need of another top 4 defensemen. Don't act like he's done nothing noteworthy to improve this team.

#73 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

There's a difference between trying to do something without crippling your team, and other GM's who might be more desperate.
I'm more concerned over our scouting. And I was worried about this when he was hired and didn't clean house in our scouting department. (I have no issues with Gradin, but pretty much everyone else should go)

Here's hoping we get lots of pleasant surprises among our prospects and we get a deeper, stronger, and better team than we think.

Agreed about scouting, especially when we're not even drafting from our own backyard.

#74 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Not at all. He's in this business for a reason, if he can't handle it he would have left.
Posted Image

#75 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

People blame Gillis for the scouts failings as if he is a scout himself. They have no concept of how it works apparently.
But I do agree he should hire new scouts, and start fresh, that part is on him. Then again, there's always the risk of fresh talent being worse. You know the saying The grass is always greener on the other side.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#76 Canucksh

Canucksh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.
lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

How do you know what they talked about with Schultz? I didn't know you were in the room with them when they talked, maybe you can fill us in on some of the players the Canucks are after if you know inside information!

#77 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Meanwhile, Garrison has all the tools that Salo has but younger and is a good #4 guy.

Yeah, all the tools except for a resume.

And you're applauding the Garrison signing, yet assuming that he'll be "a #4 guy"? Huh? $4.6M and 6 years for a #4 guy?

#78 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

They addressed the need of another top 4 defensemen. Don't act like he's done nothing noteworthy to improve this team.

By my calculations, he's lost Salo, lost Rome, and added Garrison.

On what planet is that considered a step in the right direction for a team with a SHORT window?

#79 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

So first everyone wanted a top 4 d-man.
He got Garisson. But still people complained

Then people say we need depth d-men
He gets Mullen and Joslin. But still people complained

And then it was "LUONGO NEEDS TO BE TRADED ASAP" and he needs to get Campbell, Weiss, Huberdeau and Versteeg or else its a failure

Now its "GILLIS SUCKS CAUSE HE DIDNT SIGN SHEA WEBER TO AN 82-year, 900 Billion Dollar CONTRACT!!!!!!"

Give the guy a break, just cause he dosent sign
all the free agents dosent mean he should be fired

Regards,
CH9

haha good one. I agree no one will every be fully happy as a sports fan. Nature of the beast. I really wish you wouldnt end with "regards" I like your posts and threads but...kinda like your flippin people off at the end lol

#80 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

On what planet is that considered a step in the right direction for a team with a SHORT window?

Salo was declining at the end of the season. If we didn't get Garrison, our d-core would only be Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Adding Garrison will make, if he builds chemistry with Edler, a solid top four. Rome is a depth d-man that was good at what he did but there are many like him.

#81 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Salo was declining at the end of the season. If we didn't get Garrison, our d-core would only be Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Adding Garrison will make, if he builds chemistry with Edler, a solid top four. Rome is a depth d-man that was good at what he did but there are many like him.

Interesting, nobody knew who Jason Garrison was at the end of LAST season.

#82 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Because Garrison > Rome, Salo. Not to forget Tanev is able to make the jump full time next year.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

How is this not improved? Three solid pairings that bring everything, and are reliable. You won't have to worry about them having an injury plagued season like Salo where it's one thing after another, worry about the speed of Salo etc etc, nor do you have to worry about Aaron Rome creeping into our top 4 anymore. I liked him as a depth guy, however, but I'm fine with him leaving.

We could still use another depth defensemen to bump Alberts down another spot, other then that, we're better. Just because your "calculations" can subtract two players to one player, doesn't mean we didn't improve while doing so.

#83 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Interesting, nobody knew who Jason Garrison was at the end of LAST season.

That's what happens when you play in a market like Florida. No media coverage that gets on TSN, Sportsnet or the like, nor does the media care about what is happening in Florida with it's players. It's hard to know a player when there is no coverage on him, or his team, especially here in Canada where there is zero coverage on teams like Florida.

You need to have a very stellar breakout season to be noticed or mentioned. Even if no one knew him, I don't see why that is even relevant.

Edited by Bryan McCabe.24, 21 July 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#84 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Oi, so many unleastic expectations and misinterprations on this board. I don't know why I'm replying because there are a lot of people here with there mind made up.

1) Salo. He did not get shafted by Gillis. After last years signing Gillis made it pretty clear that his plan for Salo was to sign him to one year deals until Salo himself decided to retire. Salo decided to go for more money and the security of 2 years. His choice (and I'm sure a hard one for him, but there are some things you just can't pass up I guess). People are also saying we let a top 4 man go. Sami was seriously slowing up towards the end of the season and he wasn't nearly as effective in a top 4 spot. He's now a 5-6 guy on a good team. Meanwhile, Garrison has all the tools that Salo has but younger and is a good #4 guy.

2) Depth on defense. Not sure what more you can expect Gillis to get. Yes, there are better d-men than Joslin or Mullin out there but you can only carry so many defensemen on an NHL roster and d-men better than guys like Joslin would most surely get claimed on recallable waivers when the Canucks try to bring them up. A top six of Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, Tanev then Alberts as 7. Not sexy but still good enough. The Canucks have a few in the AHL aren't chop liver in Joslin, Mullin, K-Conn, and Sauve. Once again, you can't stack you're AHL with NHL defensemen, they will mostly get claimed on waivers when you need them most.

3) Mitchell got shafted by Gillis. Not true. Gillis was so short on D at the time he had to get bodies he knew were able. They would have loved to resign Mitchell but Mitchell couldn't honestly give them the answer that he was 100% healthy, hence the lower offer. The Kings, with a younger team/core, were in the position to take that chance. The Canucks were not. Once again, Gillis offered what he could at the time, he would have offered Mitchell more if Mitchell was able to say he was going to be healthy.

Logic? On CDC!?

According to my NHL12 game (based on Eklund and Hockeyyinsiderr trades of course), I would get Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st for Rick Nash.

#85 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

We could still use another depth defensemen to bump Alberts down another spot, other then that, we're better. Just because your "calculations" can subtract two players to one player, doesn't mean we didn't improve while doing so.

Uh-huh, so you're THAT confident that undrafted, 28 year-old Jason Garrison, who's "breakout" season consisted of getting 33 points playing next to Brian Campbell, is a better player than Sami Salo & Aaron Rome combined? Hilarious.

Salo did everything right. He's going to be missed, badly. Gillis bought Garrison at his highest value, which will end up being a colossal mistake, just like his prior two transactions with Florida were.

#86 Canucksh

Canucksh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

You and countless others have said this same thing on the topic. But just because other teams are interested in the same player, doesn't excuse Gillis from not making ANY effort to try and secure him. That logic is the thought-process of losers. And a loser is what Gillis has been acting like for far too long. He sits on the roster of great players that was assembled by smarter men before him, and doesn't try to use this luxury of talent and money currently possessed by the organization to add anything meaningful himself. Gillis = overrated smugness.

HOW do you know he hasn't made the effort? Honestly.... so many people on here assume Gillis isn't making the attempt to look over players. Just because he didn't sign the player, doesn't mean he didn't look into it. So many people on this site are rediculous. I'm glad we have Gillis as our GM instead of some idiot on here.

Weber is getting over paid. He was born in BC, but he might not even be a fan of the Canucks. If Canucks made an offer higher than Phillies to beat them, they would of complained its too high of a cap for him.

Schultz was born in BC, but he might not even be a fan of the Canucks. He hasn't played in the NHL to prove anything yet, but people still complain that Garrison was a risk since he has one year proven hes good IN THE NHL.(doesnt make sense)

Garrison worked out very well, he had offers that had more money on the table from other teams, but Gillis was able to get him here. People would of complained we didn't get him even if he got more money somewhere else.

Sundin was 3 years ago, dont even bother bringing him up to compare his situation to Webers, its possible Gillis doesn't sign players to huge contracts now because of how Sundin turned out, plus Luongo. Sundin wasn't a total bust either, he helped players like the Sedins and Kesler to be the players that they are today.

Hodgson obviously had to be traded, there is NO WAY WE COULD HAVE KEPT HIM. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS. It wasn't Gillis that ran him off. The only way he could of stayed was if Sedins or Kesler were traded, which obviously wasn't going to happen. People are already jumping off the bandwagon on Kassian, yet Kassian is the same age as Hodgson was 2 years ago, and Hodgson did less for us 2 years ago compared to what Kassian can do. People will still complain about the trade next year, since he won't get as many points as Hodgson did last year....although they SHOULD keep in mind, we aren't trying to showcase Kassian like we were for Hodgson, plus Kassian isn't on this team to rack up the points like Hodgson. Kassian brings different things to his game instead of just getting points.

Gillis is far from doing a bad job.

#87 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

You and countless others have said this same thing on the topic. But just because other teams are interested in the same player, doesn't excuse Gillis from not making ANY effort to try and secure him. That logic is the thought-process of losers. And a loser is what Gillis has been acting like for far too long. He sits on the roster of great players that was assembled by smarter men before him, and doesn't try to use this luxury of talent and money currently possessed by the organization to add anything meaningful himself. Gillis = overrated smugness.

Wow, sit on your high chair. I have a feeling people around you find you very annoying. You know one of those guys when people see you coming walk the other way or say to others "Oh no! here comes the jaskass!"

#88 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

That's what happens when you play in a market like Florida. No media coverage that gets on TSN, Sportsnet or the like, nor does the media care about what is happening in Florida with it's players. It's hard to know a player when there is no coverage on him, or his team, especially here in Canada where there is zero coverage on teams like Florida.

No, that's what happens when you're not drafted, and when you play your first NHL game at the age of 25, and you accumulate all of 26 points over the first 112 games of your career, before Brian Campbell arrives and you have a "breakout" (33 points...) season in a contract year.

#89 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

HOW do you know he hasn't made the effort? Honestly.... so many people on here assume Gillis isn't making the attempt to look over players. Just because he didn't sign the player, doesn't mean he didn't look into it. So many people on this site are rediculous. I'm glad we have Gillis as our GM instead of some idiot on here.

"Ridiculous".

Anyway, I think what PrimeMinisterBure was alluding to was the fact that "looking into" something isn't actually getting anything done. Philadelphia chose to ACT, Vancouver did not. It's that simple.

You're not ACTING if you're "looking into" something.

#90 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Uh-huh, so you're THAT confident that undrafted, 28 year-old Jason Garrison, who's "breakout" season consisted of getting 33 points playing next to Brian Campbell, is a better player than Sami Salo & Aaron Rome combined? Hilarious.

Salo did everything right. He's going to be missed, badly. Gillis bought Garrison at his highest value, which will end up being a colossal mistake, just like his prior two transactions with Florida were.

You forgot Garrison would've been tied 5th overall on the Canucks in goals as a defensemen, but why mention that. Also, quit looking at point totals, and focus more on his overall game. Salo was visibly declining (slow was a big one, among other things), and Rome is nothing more then a depth defensemen. Garrison being better then both Rome/Salo combined is not hilarious at all because it is true.

No, that's what happens when you're not drafted, and when you play your first NHL game at the age of 25, and you accumulate all of 26 points over the first 112 games of your career, before Brian Campbell arrives and you have a "breakout" (33 points...) season in a contract year.

Once again, focusing far too much on points and not overall game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.