The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

Oi, so many unleastic expectations and misinterprations on this board. I don't know why I'm replying because there are a lot of people here with there mind made up.

1) Salo. He did not get shafted by Gillis. After last years signing Gillis made it pretty clear that his plan for Salo was to sign him to one year deals until Salo himself decided to retire. Salo decided to go for more money and the security of 2 years. His choice (and I'm sure a hard one for him, but there are some things you just can't pass up I guess). People are also saying we let a top 4 man go. Sami was seriously slowing up towards the end of the season and he wasn't nearly as effective in a top 4 spot. He's now a 5-6 guy on a good team. Meanwhile, Garrison has all the tools that Salo has but younger and is a good #4 guy.

2) Depth on defense. Not sure what more you can expect Gillis to get. Yes, there are better d-men than Joslin or Mullin out there but you can only carry so many defensemen on an NHL roster and d-men better than guys like Joslin would most surely get claimed on recallable waivers when the Canucks try to bring them up. A top six of Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, Tanev then Alberts as 7. Not sexy but still good enough. The Canucks have a few in the AHL aren't chop liver in Joslin, Mullin, K-Conn, and Sauve. Once again, you can't stack you're AHL with NHL defensemen, they will mostly get claimed on waivers when you need them most.

3) Mitchell got shafted by Gillis. Not true. Gillis was so short on D at the time he had to get bodies he knew were able. They would have loved to resign Mitchell but Mitchell couldn't honestly give them the answer that he was 100% healthy, hence the lower offer. The Kings, with a younger team/core, were in the position to take that chance. The Canucks were not. Once again, Gillis offered what he could at the time, he would have offered Mitchell more if Mitchell was able to say he was going to be healthy.

I feel bad for Dave Poile. He lost Tootoo, Radulov, Suter, and possibly Weber. Only a matter of time before the Kostitsyn bros pack up and leave as well. All that will soon be remaining in Nashville in Fisher and Underwood.

There's a difference between trying to do something without crippling your team, and other GM's who might be more desperate.

I'm more concerned over our scouting. And I was worried about this when he was hired and didn't clean house in our scouting department. (I have no issues with Gradin, but pretty much everyone else should go)

Here's hoping we get lots of pleasant surprises among our prospects and we get a deeper, stronger, and better team than we think.

I feel bad for Dave Poile. He lost Tootoo, Radulov, Suter, and possibly Weber. Only a matter of time before the Kostitsyn bros pack up and leave as well. All that will soon be remaining in Nashville in Fisher and Underwood.

Nope, Gillis has not done his job so far this offseason... get cracking, there is much work to be done.

Right now, he has addressed none of the key needs of the team. They are simply not good enough as it stands.

There's a difference between trying to do something without crippling your team, and other GM's who might be more desperate.

I'm more concerned over our scouting. And I was worried about this when he was hired and didn't clean house in our scouting department. (I have no issues with Gradin, but pretty much everyone else should go)

Here's hoping we get lots of pleasant surprises among our prospects and we get a deeper, stronger, and better team than we think.

I don't feel bad for the guy, he treated Willie Mitchell poorly, let erhoff walk essentially, dicked salo around and went all out on Matt Sundin but wont go all out on Weber...he drafted a great player in cody hodgson and somehow got Cody so angry that the guy needed to be traded. He then traded a can't miss young prospect for two projects one of which clearly has not panned out (Gargnani). He then had a golden goose fall into his lap only to let a division rival sign him-its a business, promise the kid he will get a good look at top 4 minutes and power play and see how he does, don't say well we might not play you much, you are really going to have to fight for ice time.

lets not discuss the ballard trade and resigning a coach who makes young players wait an ice age to get nhl minutes.

I feel bad for the fans

So first everyone wanted a top 4 d-man.

He got Garisson. But still people complained

Then people say we need depth d-men

He gets Mullen and Joslin. But still people complained

And then it was "LUONGO NEEDS TO BE TRADED ASAP" and he needs to get Campbell, Weiss, Huberdeau and Versteeg or else its a failure

Now its "GILLIS SUCKS CAUSE HE DIDNT SIGN SHEA WEBER TO AN 82-year, 900 Billion Dollar CONTRACT!!!!!!"

Give the guy a break, just cause he dosent sign

all the free agents dosent mean he should be fired

Regards,

CH9

Archived