Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position (196 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Gaunce be given a shot for the 3rd line center spot?

1. Yes ( hes better suited for it then shroeder and lappy and manny should stay on the 4th) (45 votes [22.96%])

Percentage of vote: 22.96%

2. No (shroeder is more ready) (74 votes [37.76%])

Percentage of vote: 37.76%

3. No (manny and lappy should just switch between 3rd and 4th line) (77 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

this year we got a rare opportunity to draft one of the prospects that scouts had said was" one of the most NHL ready players in the 2012 draft".

at 6'2'' 215 gaunce is certainly physically ready, the only question is can he translate his skill set to the nhl that qucikly

there is no doubt that guance is a good pick. worst case scenario you probably have a good, hard working, big third line center.

i think he should at least get a shot for the third line because hea raved for his complete two way game. the scouts had said he was the best two way forward available at the draft.

with kes out for the start of the season there is room for both schroeder and gaunce to at least show that they are capable of playing in the NHL.

in the end i think it is a good idea to give gaunce the 7 games and at least see what they have in him, same thing for jensen, if hes not ready send him down no harm done.

im saying this only because im sure if gaunce doesnt make the team this year i think he will the following year with manny likely not going to be resigned.

what do you guys think?

Edited by Southpop45, 21 July 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#2 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Spell his name right, or no one will take you seriously

#3 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

sorry screwed up the name in the title

#4 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

If he's not excelling in junior..
Posted Image

#5 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

We shall see if he does well in training camp. Currently, Schroeder, Lapierre and Manny are before him in the depth chart and there is also the possibility of acquiring a third line centre later on.

#6 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

We will see at training camp.... but no need to rush him in. He has a year or two left of junior eligibility so he can develop his game there and then we can see if he needs time in the AHL or if he can make the jump to the NHL.

also you should add an option in the poll "No - we need to trade for a 3rd line center"
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#7 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Good luck with AV Coaching, he definitely won't let this happen.

Posted Image

St. Louis Blues STHS GM Posted Image

#8 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Too inexperienced.

Too physically immature.

Not ready to play against men and NHL speed.

I say no to the 3rd line or any position on the team for at least a minimum of 2 years.

Edit - After further thought, I'll rescind my critique of his physical immaturity. Kid has decent size.

I still stand by my assertion that he's not ready, or at the least, the Canucks have better options at the 3rd line center positions than him.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 21 July 2012 - 10:39 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#9 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yeah if he is good I wouldn't count him out. We should give everyone and anyone who challenges for a roster spot a legitimate chance and a serious look.

But I don't think he's ready.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#10 Nancouver

Nancouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

If he has a really good camp he should be given a look. This team needs to give rookies a chance sometimes

#11 kingfreako

kingfreako

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Sheesh have some patience.
Posted Image

#12 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Rather have Malholtra/Lapierre on the third line

#13 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,337 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Nope maybe in 2 years or more.

Schroeder could be an option.
Posted Image

#14 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Another option of "Yes, but he has to earn his roster spot just like everyone else." I'm sure that looks would be had, maybe even to give him his 9 games, but as mentioned he needs to earn it, just like everyone else does. Good luck to him though, I like his upside.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#15 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

I say we shouldn't rush this kid and let him develop in the juniors for a year or two. But only training camp will tell
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#16 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Schroeder or Manny/Lappy will be in before him.

I think Lappierre will take it.

Edited by thehamburglar, 21 July 2012 - 10:15 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Training camp and pre-season will show the coaches who works best.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#18 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

not really but who knows
Posted Image

#19 our time is now

our time is now

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

I kinda think he is gonna be a bust

#20 2gingers1cup

2gingers1cup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

i've been preaching this for a while now so good for you OP in bringing it up again

Like you said, he was one of the most NHL ready prospects in this year's draft. He is already physically mature. The only knock on him at the moment is his skating. But if he has worked hard this off season and has a good training camp he should get at least the 9 games
CDC VBA - Boston Celtics GM
CDC VHL - Calgary Flames Assistant GM

#21 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Vigneault's Golden Rule = [(Player X's age) / 2] + [0.5 * (# of years played in AHL)]

If > or = the legal age to drive, possibly consider giving Player X a roster spot (beginning on the bench)
If < the legal age to drive, might as well trade him now--he will never crack the lineup long enough to make an impression

#22 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Too inexperienced.

Too physically immature.

Not ready to play against men and NHL speed.

I say no to the 3rd line or any position on the team for at least a minimum of 2 years.

The same was said about Hodgson last summer. Gaunce has already spent 2 years at Gary Roberts Camp. He's back training there this summer. I think he has a legitimate shot to make the team, but it would be better for his development to play in the WJC and play top minutes in Bellville.
Posted Image

#23 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Zero chance he makes the team.
Even if he impresses in training camp.
Rushing him in won't help anybody.
Posted Image

#24 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

I say no. It is very much possible for Gillis to pick up a third line centre in the Luongo trade that should eventually occur, and even with Kesler out, Schroeder and Lapierre can temporarily centre the 2nd and 3rd lines (interchangeably), with Malhotra on the fourth.

Gaunce is physically ready for the NHL, but there's no need to rush him, as he needs to develop his skating ability. As far as I know, a skater needs to be on the ice to practice skating, so it's best to have him go to the minors for a little while. It also saves us a year on his ELC, should that be a pertinent matter.

#25 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

Knowing the Canucks, he can be as ready as possible but he won't make it first year with our development team, not a chance except of we got Yakupov or Murray.

Our development process highly restricts players stepping in right away as they will get minimal minutes to none (scratched), especially with AV, so they'd rather have him playing top minutes in the minors / juniors to improve his game.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#26 Canuckaidian

Canuckaidian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

this year we got a rare opportunity to draft one of the prospects that scouts had said was" one of the most NHL ready players in the 2012 draft".

at 6'2'' 215 gaunce is certainly physically ready, the only question is can he translate his skill set to the nhl that qucikly

there is no doubt that guance is a good pick. worst case scenario you probably have a good, hard working, big third line center.

i think he should at least get a shot for the third line because hea raved for his complete two way game. the scouts had said he was the best two way forward available at the draft.

with kes out for the start of the season there is room for both schroeder and gaunce to at least show that they are capable of playing in the NHL.

in the end i think it is a good idea to give gaunce the 7 games and at least see what they have in him, same thing for jensen, if hes not ready send him down no harm done.

im saying this only because im sure if gaunce doesnt make the team this year i think he will the following year with manny likely not going to be resigned.

what do you guys think?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it 9 games.

#27 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it 9 games.

I believe you are right
Sig too big.

#28 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,973 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Yeah if he is good I wouldn't count him out. We should give everyone and anyone who challenges for a roster spot a legitimate chance and a serious look.

But I don't think he's ready.

Agreed, as he's physically ready for an NHL role but could develop a little more mentally before being put in against NHL players. Unless he surprises it's back to junior.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

We'll give Gaunce a look, but the only way he gets a sniff past preseason is if he has a mind-blowing camp. He shouldn't be on the team. I don't think he's ready, and he needs more time to develop.

I think it's more likely Mallet could make the team. He's 2 years older and ready to turn pro.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#30 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Our bottom two lines are desperate for secondary scoring and I doubt Lappy or Malholtra will score much if at all..if Gaunce starts off with a hot hand he should get a long look...esp on the power play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.