The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position

Southpop45

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vigneault's Golden Rule = [(Player X's age) / 2] + [0.5 * (# of years played in AHL)]

If > or = the legal age to drive, possibly consider giving Player X a roster spot (beginning on the bench)

If < the legal age to drive, might as well trade him now--he will never crack the lineup long enough to make an impression

I say no. It is very much possible for Gillis to pick up a third line centre in the Luongo trade that should eventually occur, and even with Kesler out, Schroeder and Lapierre can temporarily centre the 2nd and 3rd lines (interchangeably), with Malhotra on the fourth.

Gaunce is physically ready for the NHL, but there's no need to rush him, as he needs to develop his skating ability. As far as I know, a skater needs to be on the ice to practice skating, so it's best to have him go to the minors for a little while. It also saves us a year on his ELC, should that be a pertinent matter.

Knowing the Canucks, he can be as ready as possible but he won't make it first year with our development team, not a chance except of we got Yakupov or Murray.

Our development process highly restricts players stepping in right away as they will get minimal minutes to none (scratched), especially with AV, so they'd rather have him playing top minutes in the minors / juniors to improve his game.

this year we got a rare opportunity to draft one of the prospects that scouts had said was" one of the most NHL ready players in the 2012 draft".

at 6'2'' 215 gaunce is certainly physically ready, the only question is can he translate his skill set to the nhl that qucikly

there is no doubt that guance is a good pick. worst case scenario you probably have a good, hard working, big third line center.

i think he should at least get a shot for the third line because hea raved for his complete two way game. the scouts had said he was the best two way forward available at the draft.

with kes out for the start of the season there is room for both schroeder and gaunce to at least show that they are capable of playing in the NHL.

in the end i think it is a good idea to give gaunce the 7 games and at least see what they have in him, same thing for jensen, if hes not ready send him down no harm done.

im saying this only because im sure if gaunce doesnt make the team this year i think he will the following year with manny likely not going to be resigned.

what do you guys think?

We'll give Gaunce a look, but the only way he gets a sniff past preseason is if he has a mind-blowing camp. He shouldn't be on the team. I don't think he's ready, and he needs more time to develop.

I think it's more likely Mallet could make the team. He's 2 years older and ready to turn pro.

I think he was something like the 2nd or 3rd best center available in the draft. That's rediculous.

Considering how well Jensen played last season in the preseason, if Gaunce plays as well as Jensen did he will end up as our 3rd line center. Heck I'd be happy to see this for opening night:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Lapierre - Higgins

Raymond - Gaunce - Hansen

Kassian - Malhotra - Jensen/Weise

I think he was something like the 2nd or 3rd best center available in the draft. That's rediculous.

Considering how well Jensen played last season in the preseason, if Gaunce plays as well as Jensen did he will end up as our 3rd line center. Heck I'd be happy to see this for opening night:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Lapierre - Higgins

Raymond - Gaunce - Hansen

Kassian - Malhotra - Jensen/Weise

Alot of draft players make teams right away and contribute, so to think he doesnt have a chance is crazy anyone on our roster has a spot to loose and trust me these young guns want nothing more to impress the coaching staff that they deserve to be on this team lets wait till the prospects games, then we can determine if they are ready or not.

Archived